Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Woods

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sorsha wrote: »
    OMG-no thanks, I don't feel sick at all on modern buses. They are just filthy and seats smell like old drunk man, your nose must be disabled in some way if you dont get it!:pac:
    Yes mine and everyone elses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Maybe we ARE the smelly old drunk men... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe we ARE the smelly old drunk men... :eek:

hey less of the old

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Don't worry about the bus lane the Brehon Lawyers are going to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What happens after tomorrow in terms of access to the park from the Tui Uisce side? I think they have dug the road up to the last point there was an access path from that side. Are they going to make it possible to cross the road at an earlier point or what?
    Been wondering what the story is on pedestrian right of way with the paths since coming back from town one night and walking down the path into the park only to find the path blocked by orange netting with no warning. There seems to be very little signage up and certainly nothing warning people about access being blocked, if it were to be legal were it there which I'm noty sure about.
    Not sure how people get to the back block of the estate on the Tuir Uisce side without access from that point. Or do they just all drive in through the estate further up the Doughiska road towards the Dublin rd?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stevolende wrote: »
    What happens after tomorrow in terms of access to the park from the Tui Uisce side? I think they have dug the road up to the last point there was an access path from that side. Are they going to make it possible to cross the road at an earlier point or what?
    Been wondering what the story is on pedestrian right of way with the paths since coming back from town one night and walking down the path into the park only to find the path blocked by orange netting with no warning. There seems to be very little signage up and certainly nothing warning people about access being blocked, if it were to be legal were it there which I'm noty sure about.
    Not sure how people get to the back block of the estate on the Tuir Uisce side without access from that point. Or do they just all drive in through the estate further up the Doughiska road towards the Dublin rd?

Not sure anyone here can answer your question, but have you asked the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

So it is finally happening , Merlin Park Woods is being sold of bit by bit ...in a very underhand way I might add by selling to the Galway Hospice , people will feel guilty about objecting and trying to retain it as a public amenity space . this is very wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Caggles wrote: »
    So it is finally happening , Merlin Park Woods is being sold of bit by bit ...in a very underhand way I might add by selling to the Galway Hospice , people will feel guilty about objecting and trying to retain it as a public amenity space . this is very wrong

What parts are being sold off? Never saw this land on the market for sale how did that happen

just announced that 14 acres of Merlin Park (WoodS) will be sold to Galway Hospice ,
    http://connachttribune.ie/more-details-released-on-new-galway-hospice-facility-at-merlin-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

No problem with the hospice having a space there, but would be concerned about the new road being proposed from Doughiska
    From that story...
    "The new facility will be accessed through a new roadway opening from the signalled junction at Doughiska, and a planning application will be submitted to Galway City Council over the coming year"

• Advertisement

The Hospice is not talking about having just a space there plus we should be very concerned about the selling of the land , this could be the start of Merlin Park being chopped up and sold of piece by piece , so it then becomes inaccessible to the public who use this woodland all the time . A large chunk of the South woods will become privately owned . Nobody objects to the Hospice per say but why not a lease agreement , retain in public ownership , use land around hospital plenty of it o the hospital grounds without eating away at spaces used by the local community as a recreational space.

just announced that 14 acres of Merlin Park (WoodS) will be sold to Galway Hospice ,
    http://connachttribune.ie/more-details-released-on-new-galway-hospice-facility-at-merlin-park/

Where is this in the Merlin park area is it on the old pitches by Dublin road ?

yes and on Mrs Waithmans old house site , originally planned for Alzheimers to lease this bit of land but now been sold

yes and on Mrs Waithmans old house site , originally planned for Alzheimers to lease this bit of land but now been sold

Wow. Thought the HSE was supposed to put these big deals ie a property sell off out to tender? never saw this on market ?
    Would have made a decent sports facility /recreational area there ?
    Lots of land /underused buildings on the main Merlin complex one would have thought.

This land was left in trust to the people of Galway , they shouldn't be selling it at all , it is already used by the local community everyday as a recreational space plus environmentally it is also a safe haven for wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This land was left in trust to the people of Galway , they shouldn't be selling it at all , it is already used by the local community everyday as a recreational space plus environmentally it is also a safe haven for wildlife

If the land was left in trust as you say, then it is not the HSE that's selling it, it's the directors of the trust (the trustees).

No Hse previous efforts to sell of land here have fell through because of this legal condition , it was sold to state but managed by Hse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

So was it sold to the state or left in trust to the state?. Hell of a difference I would have thought.

I'm interested in this because my Daughter lives opposite the park and often takes her grandchildren ( my greatgrandchildren) in there and they love it.

trying to find out the legalities around the sale but I know from previous efforts to sell it of have failed and planning has been refused in the past because of it's amenity value

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The best suggestion I've see is to put the hospice into the Royal Tara building - a far. More relaxed setting for it than beside a hospital campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The best suggestion I've see is to put the hospice into the Royal Tara building - a far. More relaxed setting for it than beside a hospital campus.

Sure the whole idea is to 'future proof' the hospice, because even the new building will need expansion in say 25yrs time.
    Royal Tara site is small let alone the fact it's hemmed in on every side

well destroying a local amenity isn't very forward thinking eitheir considering the city will be expanding out this direction , surely they could have found land for the hospice when they were re-drawing up the Ardaun plans just recently . This woodland and meadow serves lots of people approx 20,000-30,000 not to mention the wildlife which are hemmed in themselves on all sides by development . People are enjoying this place everyday and to make it smaller will be madness and add to more environmental destruction in a time when we should be preserving all that we can within the city boundaries .

well destroying a local amenity isn't very forward thinking eitheir considering the city will be expanding out this direction , surely they could have found land for the hospice when they were re-drawing up the Ardaun plans just recently . This woodland and meadow serves lots of people approx 20,000-30,000 not to mention the wildlife which are hemmed in themselves on all sides by development . People are enjoying this place everyday and to make it smaller will be madness and add to more environmental destruction in a time when we should be preserving all that we can within the city boundaries .

Hear hear

is there a map of where the hospice is proposed to be located

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But how much would anyone want the hospital or hospice or anything else to expand into one of the few woodland areas left?

And really, the Tara/Joyce site isn't as small as you think. This (totally unofficial) map highlights
    • The current hospice site (purple)
    • The Tara site (brown) and odd hard-stand looking bit beside it (yellow - I never have figured out what it was for)
    • The playing fields area in the woods (red).
    • A rough view of where a new access road from the current Doughiska Rd signalled juction would go (another crazy idea: making a simple 4-way junction into a 5 way one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

But how much would anyone want the hospital or hospice or anything else to expand into one of the few woodland areas left?

And really, the Tara/Joyce site isn't as small as you think. This (totally unofficial) map highlights
    • The current hospice site (purple)
    • The Tara site (brown) and odd hard-stand looking bit beside it (yellow - I never have figured out what it was for)
    • The playing fields area in the woods (red).
    • A rough view of where a new access road from the current Doughiska Rd signalled juction would go (another crazy idea: making a simple 4-way junction into a 5 way one).

Doughiska junction was mentioned, that was a mistake. The junction where the new road will be going is the current signalised T-junction at Norios/Galway Crystal, that area is Murrough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement