Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build. Really doing it this time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Windows

8.1 Pro+Office is €50

If you type a good bit, you might as well splash on a mechanical keyboard. Something like a Ducky. Mouse for your needs would be a fairly standard €20 job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I ordered a Qpad 80 mechanical keyboard (cherry brown) and a Logitech M570 mouse from Amazon. Hopefully they will do the trick. They cost circa €200, so I expect good quality and longevity from them.

I will pick up some small logitech speakers in Argos for like €16 and a microphine of similar price. The keyboard has 2 usb ports for peripherals I believe.

HWVS received payment on the 17th and cleared the order for delivery an hour after that. When shoukd I expect to receive the order?

My pc is driving me nuts. It's like it knows that it's getting replaced and is trying to pish me off.

Takes a solid week after delivery I've found

Keyboard and mouse arrived at parcel motel the day before yesterday. Brother in law picked them up for me, as I am in Italy for a week. Still no sign of the order though. Hopefully it gets there safely before I return.

So, what way do I install windows if I do it using reddit? I usually just have a windows disk for the 30 day trial and upgrade from there.

Go to the reddit link, download the ISO you need from the links on the right hand side, and use Rufus to create a bootable USB or CD.

You boot from the USB or CD, and install windows as normal.

to get your key, message the guy on reddit, send the money through PayPal and wait. You type it in during the install

I rang hwvs today about the lack of information on my order. Turns out that they have no sata cables and held the order back:mad:

I asked the guy to remove the sata cables and the order should be shipped today. I would understand them holding the order for pretty much any other part of the build, but for the sake of sata cables, I was a bit annoyed tbh. Now I'm just waiting for the tracking number when they ship.

So, my delivery was delayed by a day due to some labour dispute in the UK according to UPS, but it suits me fine, as I arrive home late tonight from holidays and I will be home all day tomorrow, which is when delivery is scheduled.

I'm a little nervous about building it, but I am sure I will manage ok and should have help on hand if I need it.

I was wondering, if I did want to turn the build into a powerful gaming pc, can I just add a good GPU? It seems everything is in place.

And should I pick up an anti-static bracelet?

I assume I will get all the screws and stuff I need to install the parts?

My only exeperience with this kind of thing is:

i) 2 week contract working in a network computer place where I installed mother boards onto case plates and connected some components.
    ii) removing and cleaning fans on my hp touchsmart pc.

Yeah a GPU is all you need, maybe a power supply upgrade if you get a high end card.

All the screws and everything will be included.

You don't need one, just ground yourself before you start (touch bare metal) and don't build it on carpet.

You've seen yourself how many parts you're ordering, its basically ->connect to motherboard->connect to power supply and occasionally things need to be screwed into place like storage drives or GPU

Cleared up post:

So i'm pretty much done putting it together. I took my time and was careful as possible. I haven't turned it on yet, or connected a monitor, or any peripherals. However, there are a few wires and connections I can't find a place for. They are:

A) the Nanoxia case has adjustable speed fans and up to 6 fans can be connected to the adjusters, so I just connected the 2 front fans to the 1A and 2A connector blocks. This leaves 1B, 1C, 2B & 2C free, which I think is ok.

B) the power unit has several wiring looms. I connected the S-ATA blocks to the 5 drives and the single DVD drive. I connected the power cable to the motherboard and all the sata cables are connected to the MB and drives too. There are some connectors which I found no place for.
    i) 2x HDD Dvd and an fdd connector on one loom.
    ii) CPU1 P4 and CPU P8 an another loom.
    iii) 2x VGA1 connectors on the other loom.

An EPS cable came with the case and I don't know if it needs to be used.

edit: i turned the pc on, but it is a fail.

The led light on the power button flashes once. The led light on the dvd drive flashes once. The rear fan turns for a few seconds and then nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

goz83 wrote: »
    So i'm pretty much done putting it together. I took my time and was careful as possible. I haven't turned it on yet, or connected a monitor, or any peripherals. However, there are a few connections I can't find a slot for. They are:

i) fan speed splits 1B 1C 2B 2C. I connected 1A and 2A to the front fans.
    ii) the power unit has some cables spare. 2x HDD Dvd and an fdd on one loom.
    CPU1 P4 and CPU P8 an another loom.
    2x VGA1 connectirs on the other loom.
    iii) there is also an ectension cable with 8 male pins on one end and 2x4 female pins on the other end.

Does this sound ok? I dont want to cause damage if something is not plugged in.

I also received 4 plugs for the power unit. 1 is an eu connection but the other 3 are uk/irish plugs :confused:

Maybe when Imopen the monitors, i might find the other 2 uk plugs are for those ;)

I have no idea what you are saying, pictures would help put an image of each item described.

I have no idea what you are saying, pictures would help put an image of each item described.

I edited the post. Hopefully it is better understood now. I can't get any photos just yet and I tried turning it on, but no luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Generally speaking your first port of call is to check that ask the cables are correctly seated and secure. Sometimes it'll seem OK but the connection might actually be a bit loose. Take them out and redo them to be sure.

The 8 pin CPU cable plugs in at the top of the motherboard, hard to see in the Nanoxia. That's why it's not booting

The 8 pin CPU cable plugs in at the top of the motherboard, hard to see in the Nanoxia. That's why it's not booting

Result on that. I might hook up the monitors now and see what happens.

You'll see POST screen :p How did you find building it?

• Advertisement

You'll see POST screen :p How did you find building it?

Plugged in 1 monitor. Plugged into the hdmi on the gpu, so hdmi 2. I have a boot screen :D

I enjoyed putting it together, but was nervous about breaking stuff. So far, so good. Thanks for yoir help to date, you have made it possible.

I suppose i just need to create a boot thingy and go from there. I will keep the thread updated until everything is running as it should. The slow process of transferring my files from the old pc is going to be a pain in the butt.

It's enjoyable the first few times, then its boring :pac: No worries, happy to help!

Just stick the HDD in? Or do you still need the old one too

Fair play on your first self build.

I had no idea what cables you were talking about good job Digital knew as he must have the same board. If I was there I would have spotted the missing connector.

It's enjoyable the first few times, then its boring :pac: No worries, happy to help!

Just stick the HDD in? Or do you still need the old one too

Will need the old one......family use. I plan to take the files I need, wipe the computer and maybe upgrade the ram.

It's in the same place on all ATX boards, I've the same case as him though.

Install Steam and a game to SSD, set the transfer and game away for a few hours, or leave it overnight

• Advertisement

It's in the same place on all ATX boards, I've the same case as him though.

Install Steam and a game to SSD, set the transfer and game away for a few hours, or leave it overnight

I have a bad memory. It is 2009 since I last built a machine(my own)

I'm an electrician and also done electronics in college for a few years so i would have seen the missing connection if I was there.

I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, not sure how that looked

I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, not sure how that looked

Out of curiosity what course are you doing in college September? If I remember right you said you are starting. Just wondering if it is anything with computers as you seem to like this stuff.

Electronic Engineering and Computing is my first choice :pac: In NUIG, DIT is the only other college with a similar course I found so I put it down too.

Electronic Engineering and Computing is my first choice :pac: In NUIG, DIT is the only other college with a similar course I found so I put it down too.

GMIT has that as well or well it used to anyway.

I checked with 45 minutes left before it closed so it's likely I missed some :o

Does that guy on Reddit take long to get back to people with keys? I sent a PM this morning and haven't heard anything. I want windows 8.1pro and MS office 2013 pro.

Took about 8 hours with me. Depends on time change and his own stuff, he'll get back to you I'd say

I suppose I have to wait.

I am having a couple of problems you might be able to help with.

Issue 1)

I have only tested one monitor. I am not receiving signal when the HDMI is connected, but I did get a signal last night when it was connected to the graphics card HDMI. I unplugged the power cables and HDMI before going to bed and when I plugged it all back in, I got no signal. I tried:

The HDMI slot in the MB and the GPU with no luck. I switched from HDMI 1, to HDMI 2 and nothing. I tried the SVGA cable in the MB with no signal and then tried it in the the GPU slot and I got signal. I am only getting a signal fro the GPU SVGA port! wtf am I doing wrong? It worked with HDMI last night and nothing today.

EDIT: After some fiddling around, I can now say that the HDMI and SVGA on the graphics card are giving a signal, but I am getting nothing from either on the MB. I hooked up both monitors and did some more testing.

issue 2)

I clicked on the reddit "create media" link to download a windows ISO, but when I try to select a language, the box is blank and I can't select anything. Edition and architecture can't be touched until a language is selected and the next button is greyed out. I downlaoded an ISO from another site earlier today, but it's the american english version, so I haven't used it.

You've to turn on a setting in the BIOS to have the PC use the MB and GPU outputs at the same time. Can't you use the GPU for both?

As per the second, I haven't a clue. You can use the one you have and change the language

• Advertisement

You've to turn on a setting in the BIOS to have the PC use the MB and GPU outputs at the same time. Can't you use the GPU for both?

As per the second, I haven't a clue. You can use the one you have and change the language

There is only one HDMI slot in the GPU and one in the MB and I would like to use the HDMI for both if I can. If it was too much trouble, I suppose I could use the SVGA on the GPU for one monitor.

I am not given an option to change the language in the open menu. Can I change it all over later? I would HATE to be stuck with american english.

I don't know the exact setting, different in different motherboard brands. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

W7 is it?

What GPU did you get out of curiousity?

I don't know the exact setting, different in different motherboard brands. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

W7 is it?

What GPU did you get out of curiousity?

I got the MSI R5450

I don't have an OS on it yet. I am waiting for the reddit guy to get back to me, but will be using windows 8.1 pro.

I've no idea how to use W8.1 but in 7 the Control Panel has a Region and Language menu where I can change the language to whatever W7 supports, I'd assume you can do the same.

Hold off panicking on the monitors until you get Windows, my second monitor was straight into the mb and it was Plug and Play for me, but it doesn't work until Windows boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

When you are installing windows 8.1 you will have an option to set the region and language preferences. Its one of the first screens during install.

Still no word from that guy on reddit. Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can use windows for 180 days without a license

My brothers friend installed W7 ultimate and said I would get the W10 upgrade when it comes out. The pc is up and running now. The monitors are running off the hdmi of the MB and GPU. There is a problem though. The displays look different. The MB display is not as vivid as the the GPU display. The colours are much more striking on the GPU display. I didn't expect this. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You'll need to calibrate windows to the displays. Not sure how you go about it on multiple monitors, but there's an option in the displays control panel for calibration.

The MB display output will never be quite as good as the GPU because Intel's drivers will always be rubbish. You should be able to get them pretty close though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What ports does your GPU have?

Can you not output to both monitors from just the graphics card? For example, one monitor HDMI and second monitor DVI?

make sure the monitors are both set to have the same settings in terms of contrast and brightness and any other 'picture modes'.

Also in your gpu drivers make sure vibrance or any other settings in the software are set to default, if you haven't changed them yourself then they should still be at default but just in case someone did it.

Are they identical monitors? even high end panels will have slight differences to each other and will be noticeable but if its a big difference it's probably just your settings are different for one of them

you should try plug them both into the gpu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What ports does your GPU have?

Can you not output to both monitors from just the graphics card? For example, one monitor HDMI and second monitor DVI?

Is that possible? If it is would it not treat the two outputs seperately thereby preventing a single extended desktop?

mordeith wrote: »
    Is that possible? If it is would it not treat the two outputs seperately thereby preventing a single extended desktop?
    Yes.

Most graphics cards now support dual display. Windows then gives you the option to either mirror the display or extend the display utilising both monitors as separate displays.

You'll need to calibrate windows to the displays. Not sure how you go about it on multiple monitors, but there's an option in the displays control panel for calibration.

The MB display output will never be quite as good as the GPU because Intel's drivers will always be rubbish. You should be able to get them pretty close though.

I need a quality output. Maybe I should use the DVI and HDMI ports on the GPU then?

or, maybe I can upgrade the GPU to one that has 2+ HDMI ports?

What GPU do you have?

• Advertisement

I originally had the Monitors on the VGA and HDMI of the GPU. That worked ok, aside from the quality of the vga.

I need a quality output. Maybe I should use the DVI and HDMI ports on the GPU then?

or, maybe I can upgrade the GPU to one that has 2+ HDMI ports?
    Absolutely,

The DVI port will be perfect.

Any recommendations on MS office? No luck with reddit link

buy it at full retail price or try get a key from someone else on the reddit software swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Any recommendations on MS office? No luck with reddit link

Which reddit user were you buying from? I got my windows 8.1 pro key within 20 minutes from this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/387eir/h_windows_81_8_7_server_project_visio_office/

• Advertisement
Advertisement