Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project maths

Options
  • 13-05-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm currently in 5th year, and we are sitting the leaving cert next year.
    I was just wondering out of curiosity, what is the difference between the old maths syllabus and the new project maths?
    Is it harder or easier? And if we practice the paper from the old syllabus, would that still help us in a certain way?

Would the way they ask the questions in the actual leaving cert change completely from before or just a tiny bit? Would we be at a disadvantage position since there's not much offical past paper?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

If you compare the two papers theres pretty much no resemblance in my opinion. And do NOT do the old course! We spent 2 months on the old trig in 5th year and I got A1s in the tests in them, and now I'll be lucky to get 1/75 in the trig section because we didnt do it project maths style. Such a horrible waste of time.

I think PM is harder than the old course looked. A lot harder. There are teachers in my school who cant even figure some of it out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

I would disagree, to a large extent the project maths material is a reduction of the old course, which has been bulked up with extra waffle. For example the amount of calculus on project maths has been heavily reduced, and to be honest the majority of a lot of it is just knowing the basics and using common sense... That said, the negative about it (in terms of difficulty) is that the people who have created the syllabus are woefully incompetent at organising the whole thing, so many mistakes have been made in sample papers and things like that. In the book that we use, most of the time the solution at the back of the book is wrong, no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KR1995

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If you compare the two papers theres pretty much no resemblance in my opinion. And do NOT do the old course! We spent 2 months on the old trig in 5th year and I got A1s in the tests in them, and now I'll be lucky to get 1/75 in the trig section because we didnt do it project maths style. Such a horrible waste of time.

I think PM is harder than the old course looked. A lot harder. There are teachers in my school who cant even figure some of it out. :(

We finished the trig section around easter from the new T&T 4 and 5 (for Project maths).. i think it's a nice section... i was just wondering like maybe the way theyd ask the questions would be similar enough when it comes to the geometry parts... is there that much of a difference in the the old and new maths syllabus in geometry? like... its shapes at the end of the day isnt it.. Do you think those sample papers made from different companies are useful? are they in the format of our Lc maths or it'd be more harder in the actual one... :(

When i was doing the circles... i didnt have any idea.. (stil dont get it), i tried to compare the new book and old book from before... they are the same. Same format and same excerise questions... so i though maybe in certain topics ... it didnt change that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KR1995

ehshup wrote: »
    I would disagree, to a large extent the project maths material is a reduction of the old course, which has been bulked up with extra waffle. For example the amount of calculus on project maths has been heavily reduced, and to be honest the majority of a lot of it is just knowing the basics and using common sense... That said, the negative about it (in terms of difficulty) is that the people who have created the syllabus are woefully incompetent at organising the whole thing, so many mistakes have been made in sample papers and things like that. In the book that we use, most of the time the solution at the back of the book is wrong, no joke.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

then how are we meant to do well if the books are messed up o.o

reducing the amount of calculus isn't the best is it... I have a good few friends in college.. they say that calculus is a huge section in maths and applied maths in college.. so for those who's gonna do maths in college wouldnt be at a very advance position... (not that i'm gonna do maths or anything)

Advertisement