Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would go to a different DOE Center.

How will that help knaushouse to get it re-classified?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How will that help knaushouse to get it re-classified?.

Because if its already M1, it doesn't need reclassification?
    The DOE centre are therefore incorrect.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

My error. I hadn't looked into what the classification should be, only how to get a true answer to the confusion.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5 knaushouse

Just checked my log book again and as usual got things wrong, camper is classified N1 and should be M1, still left with the same problem though, VRO office won't re-classify it.

knaushouse wrote: »
    Just checked my log book again and as usual got things wrong, camper is classified N1 and should be M1, still left with the same problem though, VRO office won't re-classify it.

So back to what I suggested earlier. Ring RSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

knaushouse wrote: »

It's not up to the VRO, its an EU category enshrined in EU and Irish law.
    The VRO will not be re-catagorising the vehicle just correcting an error they made.

A motor caravan IS an EU Category M1 vehicle and is required to be caterorised as such in all documention issued.

Currently the vehicle is recorded as a GOODS VEHICLE which it is not in reality, it is infact a passenger vehicle

So back to what I suggested earlier. Ring RSA.

Thanks, i will try that although the DOE center already rang the RSA and they say its wrongly classified,must be changed, the VRO the only people who can re-classify it say no, not doing it, have'nt got the staff and anyway not their problem as registered before 2011, they will correct mistakes made after 2011, motor tax at shannon say they no longer have the authority to do it, go to revenue at the VRO, anyway i will have to have it sorted before
    the doe is due in Sept

VRO claim campers before 2011 were classed N1, i do know on the day i had my last doe done when this problem arose there was another man there with the same problem as i had,
    lady at the doe center said she had told a lot of people in recent weeks to have their campers re-classified, however that was last Sept, maybe the problem has been resolved since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Now I'm just thinking out loud here, but if your machine is changed to M1 on paper, as it should be, will the authority then try and levy a road fund of 1500 to 2000 euro, based on a passenger vehicle with a 3 litre engine. (For example)

Now I'm just thinking out loud here, but if your machine is changed to M1 on paper, as it should be, will the authority then try and levy a road fund of 1500 to 2000 euro, based on a passenger vehicle with a 3 litre engine. (For example)
    Motor
    Caravans have their own motor tax rate so that's not an issue

Motor Caravans have always been categorised as passenger vehicles EU Vehicle Category M,they were never categorised as Goods Vehicles EU Category N
    The Revenue have been wrongly recording the EU category for ages and still are, a friend of mine had his 141 rev camper wrongly recorded.

The Revenue DO NOT determine the EU Category that is done at the time of manufacture and is recorded on the vehicles Certificate of Conformity, its 'birth certificate' to give it another description.
    What has been happening is that The Revenue have been erroneously recording motor caravans wrongly as Goods Vehicles (Category N), notwithstanding this clerical error the vehicles remain legally Category M Passenger Vehicles.

Correcting the error does not amount to re-catagorising the vehicle as under Irish and EU law if it left the factory as a motor caravan it was and will be an EU Category M (passenger) vehicle for its life unless its converted to non passenger carrying use at which time it may be re-categorised appropriately.

The position of The Revenue and others with regard 'the problem' with re-categorization is a ball of smoke to hide behind the fact that the issue is the result of incompetence at the time of first registration in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

You should check if they've given you a one year DOE cert too knaushaus with 2011 you're entitled to a two year cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Passed my DOE yesterday with an N1 class on the certificate.

2002 Mc Louis on 2.8JTD

No issues. They just checked the plate to see if it was light or heavy vehicle (it was light) before testing.

moodrater wrote: »
    You should check if they've given you a one year DOE cert too knaushaus with 2011 you're entitled to a two year cert.

2011? God i wish! Sorry if i gave the impression my camper is 2011, its actually 92, imported here in 2006 from Germany, what i was saying is i was told at the VRO that lots of campers
    pre 2011 were classed N1

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

The doe centre doesnt get to make that decision anymore for the doe centre to be wrong, it shows up on the computer system(covis) what it's classified as on the system,

Pjwal wrote: »
    The doe centre does get to make that decision anymore for the doe centre to be wrong, it shows up on the computer system(covis) what it's classified as on the system,

????:confused:

????:confused:

Sorry, that's not very clear. switching to a different test centre shouldn't make any difference because all the test centres are linked to the same database as each other, it's called covis. And covis is linked to ASA network which is the database from the vehicle registration database, and that's where the information comes from as to weather its a m1 or n1 vehicle. So all the test centres have the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Just had mine fail for a fog light..among other minor things.
    There is (I think) one fog light in the rear (driver's side).

I say I think because I replaced the bulb here, still wouldn't work, then discovered there's no wire attached behind it!

I've all other stuff sorted for the (visual) retest next week; anyone know for sure if this is gonna be enough to fail the retest?

(My mechanic said it was more trouble than it was worth to fix and it should be too minor a thing to fail. On the original test sheet it lists this fault as "fail minor")

Any help gratefully received.

I say I think because I replaced the bulb here, still wouldn't work, then discovered there's no wire attached behind it!

I've all other stuff sorted for the (visual) retest next week; anyone know for sure if this is gonna be enough to fail the retest?

(My mechanic said it was more trouble than it was worth to fix and it should be too minor a thing to fail. On the original test sheet it lists this fault as "fail minor")

Going by the letter of the book, it should fail, but it is a minor thing, but it would be up to the individual tester to decide if he'll pass it, if you could talk to him before he checks and explain your case he would be more understanding then if you just let it go in without saying anything, otherwise he will think that you are one of the many people who only bother fixing what you feel should be fixed.

Thanks pjwal. Will attempt the charm so!

By the above I would assume that there is a separate switch for the fog light? if so, as it's not wired up, why not just remove the switch and put a blank plate in it's place. No switch = no can test :D.

• Advertisement

By the above I would assume that there is a separate switch for the fog light? if so, as it's not wired up, why not just remove the switch and put a blank plate in it's place. No switch = no can test :D.

True too. Tell him it's a camper, it's only out in the summer, no fog. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Not sure whether your camper is more or less than 3.5t

There is no mention of Fog lamps anywhere in the HGV manual.
    In the LCV manual it just says "Where fog lamps are fitted they must be in working order"

If the lamp isn't there it shouldn't fail. Maybe remove the lamp/lens unit and just put a blank over it for the test.

If there is just a lens with no lamp behind it thats a tricky one and definitely open to interpretation.

If there is a lens & lamp (i.e. bulb holder) and it is not wired in, i would class that as a Fail because it is present but not working.

Whether or not there is a switch wont save you. As a general rule of thumb for a CVRT test. All lights fitted must work, even custom extra ones such as LED's and spot lights.

We often end up removing unnecessary lights rather than get them all working again. Some truckers could have 20/30 little marker lights on a truck to make it look "Fancy"

nailer8 wrote: »
    Not sure whether your camper is more or less than 3.5t

There is no mention of Fog lamps anywhere in the HGV manual.
    In the LCV manual it just says "Where fog lamps are fitted they must be in working order"

If the lamp isn't there it shouldn't fail. Maybe remove the lamp/lens unit and just put a blank over it for the test.

If there is just a lens with no lamp behind it thats a tricky one and definitely open to interpretation.

If there is a lens & lamp (i.e. bulb holder) and it is not wired in, i would class that as a Fail because it is present but not working.

Whether or not there is a switch wont save you. As a general rule of thumb for a CVRT test. All lights fitted must work, even custom extra ones such as LED's and spot lights.

We often end up removing unnecessary lights rather than get them all working again. Some truckers could have 20/30 little marker lights on a truck to make it look "Fancy"

In a lot of cases, the fog lamp is part of the rear cluster of lamps and the same outer cover is fitted to simular models whether or not they have fog lights fitted behind them, making it impossible to tell if it has fogs or not just by looking at the lamps. But I know as a tester myself, I would consider it fairly minor ànd would allow a bit of discretion on it. But that is up to individual testing as he has to stand over it afterwards.

Thanks everyone.
    I'll go ahead with the charm offensive and see where it gets me.

Btw the fog light is built into the set of lights, only removable by breaking the unit.
    On the opposite (passenger side) of lights, the reversing light is in the equivalent position.

Thanks everyone.
    I'll go ahead with the charm offensive and see where it gets me.

Btw the fog light is built into the set of lights, only removable by breaking the unit.
    On the opposite (passenger side) of lights, the reversing light is in the equivalent position.

Go for it. Let us know how you get on.

Pjwal wrote: »
    Go for it. Let us know how you get on.

So passed today!

I called the guy aside before he retested, explained the 'no-wire-to-power-the-fog-light' scenario to him to which he replied:
    "Sorry bud, but there's an inspector here right now watching us."

That was the end of that I thought effing and blinding to meself.

However, 10 minutes later he reappeared with the A4 bit of paper with PASS across the top of it!
    He says: "The inspector just left so here ya go, you're good til April '16. But get it sorted before that!"

Decency and common sense prevailed...today at least.

Thank you that man!

So passed today!

I called the guy aside before he retested, explained the 'no-wire-to-power-the-fog-light' scenario to him to which he replied:
    "Sorry bud, but there's an inspector here right now watching us."

That was the end of that I thought effing and blinding to meself.

However, 10 minutes later he reappeared with the A4 bit of paper with PASS across the top of it!
    He says: "The inspector just left so here ya go, you're good til April '16. But get it sorted before that!"

Decency and common sense prevailed...today at least.

Thank you that man!

Congrats and happy motoring, them inspectors do call at least once a month.

The CVRT cert on my camper is due for renewal in February, it being the anniversary of when it was first tested when testing became law..

This is a bad time for me as we often are away chasing the sun at that time.
    This year we plan to head off late August and may not be back before the test is due (depending on family circumstances), So I enquired about getting the test done before we go away (more than 30 days in advance of when it is due)

I can get it done but the test date will be reset to the anniversary of when it is done, so I will loose out on about 6 months of my current cert if I get it done shortly before we go away :(

Now, getting the test date shifted to June would suit me best as we are always around in June, either back on not gone away yet, so I got the test done a last week and lost 8 months off my current cert. :(:(

However as the Date of First Registration of my camper is at the end of June and it was first registered in 2005 it is therefore not yet 10 years old, so I now have a 2 year cert which sees me through to June 2017 :):):)

If I got the test done in July or later I would have only got a 1 year cert. which would have been up in 2016, if I got the test done when it was due the cert would have been up in Feb 2017.

So, as the saying goes I'm quids up :):):):)

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The CVRT cert on my camper is due for renewal in February, it being the anniversary of when it was first tested when testing became law..

This year we plan to head off late August and may not be back before the test is due (depending on family circumstances), So I enquired about getting the test done before we go away (more than 30 days in advance of when it is due)

I can get it done but the test date will be reset to the anniversary of when it is done, so I will loose out on about 6 months of my current cert if I get it done shortly before we go away :(

Now, getting the test date shifted to June would suit me best as we are always around in June, either back on not gone away yet, so I got the test done a last week and lost 8 months off my current cert. :(:(

However as the Date of First Registration of my camper is at the end of June and it was first registered in 2005 it is therefore not yet 10 years old, so I now have a 2 year cert which sees me through to June 2017 :):):)

If I got the test done in July or later I would have only got a 1 year cert. which would have been up in 2016, if I got the test done when it was due the cert would have been up in Feb 2017.

Nicely done and very well calculated. Now let's see who else follows suit.

Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

niloc1951 wrote: »

Well done, good thinking. Even though i work in a test centre that wouldn't have occurred to me. Camper is late 06 but not due test until Mar 17 so defo will test it a few months early before its 10y old.

Advertisement