Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a lump on my lumps

Options
  • 26-08-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Gone Anon for this.

As the title says was check my balls over last night and found a lump on the top of the right one,haven't been able to sleep much and am very worried.

I have an appointment with the doctor for Friday, so that I can get it checked out.

I did some Googling and found this list of possible causes(my testicle doesn't hurt)

Possible causes if the testicle is not painful:

* Hydrocele
    * Loop of bowel from a hernia
    * Spermatocele
    * Testicular cancer
    * Varicocele

Has anyone been through the procedure before with the doctor? has anyone been in a similar position? If so what happened? I'm worried its gonna be option 4 on the above list, If so what happens next?

I not afraid of much but I have to admit this scares me..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if anyone has had such an exam, please help the op out by describing what happened, but please don't offer any medical advice / odds of diagnosis. OP, stay in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive had a number of testicular exams down the years as Ive had one or 2 problems in that department.

Generally the doc will examine both nuts to check for size difference,lumps,swelling etc.

Depending on what he concludes you may have to go get an ultrasound which is basically as you see pregnant women having done.You get your scrote covered with gel and they do the exam.Luckily for me I just had a severe torsion in one ball which needed corrective surgery but everything is a-ok now.

If the doctor finds anything out of the ordinary then you will likely get further exams very quickly.In my case from the initial exam to having surgery it took approximately 5 hours so hopefully this will be the case with yourself if anything needs to be done,fingers crossed it is nothing to worry about though.

Its never nice to find anything untoward down there but alot of men would not do anything about it so you are dead right to get it checked out as soon as you possibly can.As I said,hopefully its nothing sinister but if it is at least it can be taken care of.

One thing I would say is try and get a doctors appointment today,even by going into a+e.You might have a bit of a wait but at least it will help put your mind at ease.Do keep us posted and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I found a lump and got it checked out. The doctor had a bit of a feel and then sent me off to this lad with an ultrasound. Which is as below - he throws a bit of gel on and then starts having a look. Mine was only an unproblematic cyst.

Fingers crossed for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here,Thanks for the replies.

I feel terrified to go near the doctors in case it is worst case Scenario.

But at the same time I know I need to get it checked. I've spent the morning looking into what happens if it is cancer, I'm very worried that I may not be able to have kids.

I sitting here in work wondering why I'm here and not getting this checked now, I'm worried to ask for time off as I don't want to disclose the reason why I need it.

@Teferi: how long did it take form the doctor checking to you getting the ultrasound?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Found a lump about 2 years ago. Worried as hell!

Did the whole google self-diagnosis thing, but only felt worse.

Went to doctor - diagnosed with Epididymitis.

Same procedure as Teferi, bit of gel and an ultrasound.

Don't delay in getting to your doc though, can't be too careful!

• Advertisement

But at the same time I know I need to get it checked. I've spent the morning looking into what happens if it is cancer, I'm very worried that I may not be able to have kids.

I sitting here in work wondering why I'm here and not getting this checked now, I'm worried to ask for time off as I don't want to disclose the reason why I need it.

@Teferi: how long did it take form the doctor checking to you getting the ultrasound?

Just tell them its for a personal issue.If they get snotty about it then tell them to not pay you for the few hours you take off.

As I said previously,getting checked ASAP will set your mind at ease and if there is a problem,which there hopefully isnt,then at least you can get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You've got to remember OP though that right now, you don't know whats going on. You've done the right thing, by booking the appointment and getting it checked out. The difference between a Thursday and a Friday in terms of getting it looked at isn't worth even thinking about.

Testicular lumps and bumps are more common than you'd think. Most are nothing as sinister as cancer, though they still need dealing with. Even if cancer is found, it's curable and dealt with quickly.There is no messing about. Again you'd be surprised how many one balled people you pass in the street everyday.

Most of all you've got to try not to worry. That isn't going to get you anywhere. Take a deep breath and get away from google.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I had a lump and soreness there a few months ago. Went and got the exam off the doc. The exam was totally grand tbh. Got put on a course of antibiotics and that was it. Can't remember what the name of what I had was but it was something to do with bacteria causing hardening around the join of the ball and the duct that's joined to it. Anyway, cleared up in a week. Like yourself I was very nervous going down, but having it over and done with is a major relief. You're doing the right thing anyway. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had Testicular Cancer about 13 years ago.

Noticed an abnormality, went to the doctor, had an Ultrasound and showed up positive.

Doctor organised an appointment with a consultant.

Had one removed. Follow up blood tests showed Cancer Marker cells had returned in my Blood. Had to undergo a period of chemotherapy.

Had further surgery on my lymph nodes and I am fine since.

The condition is very cureable even if it is Cancer. If you have to get Cancer apparently it is one of the better ones.

Hope that you are Ok OP and that you get good news.

Also if I can be any help, feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

great to hear your doing well mate. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Just want to reassure the OP that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

And that this should have a very positive outcome if dealth with in time.

Spoke to the consultant and he told me that if I had the Cancer 30 years ago I would have been a gonner.

The treatments probably have advanced so much even in the past few years that you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I could have got it the same day but I was stretched for time so I went in the next day. Seems to be a very fast turnover judging by myself and everyone elses experiences.

With me it was very quick as well. The X-Ray dept in the local hospital can do it, it does not take very long. 15-20 minutes from what I can remember.

Op here again, just an update.

I went to the doctor yesterday, He said there is a slight swelling of the Epididymis,He gave me a referral letter to get a scan just to be 100%, but he said he doubts that I'll have anything to worry about. He gave me antibiotics for the swelling, but said while the Epididymis is slightly swollen its most likely a cist.

I have VHI(luckily enough, apparently i could be waiting over six months for the scan with the HSE) so I've booked in to one of the swiftcare clinics for a scrotal ultrasound early next week.

Fingers crossed. I feel a lot better now, its like a weight has been lifted.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll give an update after the scan with what I hope will be good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I know its dragging up an old thread but its the most approriate place for it.
    A few weeks back i noticed a lump about 5mm in diameter at the back of my right ball. It seemed to be at the juction of the upper part of the ball/epydidimis, to the left hand side of the right ball. For a while it was evasive and some times i could feel it and sometimes not. However in the shower the other day i pinned it down when my sack was all supple from the heat. It is defineitly a lump and is possibly mobile to some degree but not sure. From time to time ther can be some low level achey feeling in it that sometimes extends up the right side of the abdomen. I wouldn't describe it as a pain though as its so slight - just a feeling.
    From research i think its likely to be a spermatocele as cancer generally occurs on the front or sides of a ball and not at the epididymis.
    Now of course it better safe than sorry and i'm am going to book in witht he doctor next week to get it checked by a professional. From anyone elses experience, is a ultrasound always done in these cases? I might request a ultrasound and a tumor marker test with a urologist just to be extra sure.
    To add my gf is not all that helpful on this - she keeps telling me i'm young and healthy, but thats when you get it. She tells me I'm overreacting and I don't need to go to the Dr.
    The pain radiating to the abdomen worries me now as it could be an indication of metastatis to the lymph nodes in my abdomen.
    I am 24 years old so I am slap bang in the middle of the risk agegroup (20-35). They say testicular cancer is rare and say in general that people have a 1% lifetime risk - to me that is not rare at, all it is almost common!
    I'll keep you guys posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hey M&C,

Get it checked out, you have nothing to lose but a few mins out of the day at the Dr's.

I found a tiny lump on the side of my left ball a couple of months ago. I'm 26 and pretty healthy, so i rarely see my Dr, only for the odd sports injury. So i decided to set up a rare appointmrnt with my Dr and he said he was 99.99% sure it was just a small bit of calcification on my ball but he sent me for an ultrasound just to be sure. Ultrasound returned everything to be negative.

That 00.01% chance would have driven me mad if i hadnt got it checked out.

Re-bringing up this thread is a good reminder for guys to check regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I know its dragging up an old thread but its the most approriate place for it.
    A few weeks back i noticed a lump about 5mm in diameter at the back of my right ball. It seemed to be at the juction of the upper part of the ball/epydidimis, to the left hand side of the right ball. For a while it was evasive and some times i could feel it and sometimes not. However in the shower the other day i pinned it down when my sack was all supple from the heat. It is defineitly a lump and is possibly mobile to some degree but not sure. From time to time ther can be some low level achey feeling in it that sometimes extends up the right side of the abdomen. I wouldn't describe it as a pain though as its so slight - just a feeling.
    From research i think its likely to be a spermatocele as cancer generally occurs on the front or sides of a ball and not at the epididymis.
    Now of course it better safe than sorry and i'm am going to book in witht he doctor next week to get it checked by a professional. From anyone elses experience, is a ultrasound always done in these cases? I might request a ultrasound and a tumor marker test with a urologist just to be extra sure.
    To add my gf is not all that helpful on this - she keeps telling me i'm young and healthy, but thats when you get it. She tells me I'm overreacting and I don't need to go to the Dr. The pain radiating to the abdomen worries me now as it could be an indication of metastatis to the lymph nodes in my abdomen.
    I am 24 years old so I am slap bang in the middle of the risk agegroup (20-35). They say testicular cancer is rare and say in general that people have a 1% lifetime risk - to me that is not rare at, all it is almost common!
    I'll keep you guys posted.

spectacularly unhelpful of her.

you do need to see a doctor, and in the meantime stay away from Dr Google as you will only freak yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Just wondering - maybe if some GPs post they will know.

If you're at the doctor for any old reason is it ok to ask them to check your balls?

I am speaking now if you have no worries or symptoms - just want them checked? Once during an STI test a doc did check them but I reckon that's just him going above the call of duty.

Generally would it be ok to ask them to check?

I wouldnt see any reason why not.Feck it,you are handing over 50 or 60 quid so you might aswell ask them to do a quick check that will take no more than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The way I see it is I'm paying them, they'll check my balls if I ask them to or they'll never see me or my money again. It isn't anything out of the ordinary really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The pain radiating to the abdomen worries me now as it could be an indication of metastatis to the lymph nodes in my abdomen.

Not advice just my experience, hope it reassures. About six years ago I was walking home and suddenly felt like I had been punched in the stomach, I literally doubled over. I got home and called emergency doc. He was useless but ruled out usuals (appendix etc) I went to my GP next day - he found a very small lump on top of one of my nads. Ultrasound confirmed a 3mm cyst! (hell of a doctor that one)

All the pain was in the abdomen, no treatment, went away on it's own. No trouble since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

^^ Ya all the nerve endings are tied to the same bunch as you have in your abdomen (something like that..); any pain in the testes feels like it radiates from the abdomen.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

^^ Ya all the nerve endings are tied to the same bunch as you have in your abdomen (something like that..); any pain in the testes feels like it radiates from the abdomen.

I'd a kidney infection that presented as a pain in the testicles for the same reason. I was a bit nervous about telling the doc but it was grand. I mentally took a deep breath and said to myself you're going to have to tell him. Decided on whether to say "balls" or "testicles", decided on the latter, as I'm very classy, and as matter of factly as possible I said "I've a pain in my testicles".

There was no smirk, giggle, laughter, he just said "ok, we'll take a look". I don't know what people expect, some sort of something about mary situation with a heap of people coming in to take a look ;)

Anyways, they've seen it all before, a little bit of getting over yourself is required, but well worth the peace of mind or corrective action, depending on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Hi M&C,
    I've been away from cyberland for a few weeks, otherwise I'd have replied earlier.

I hope you've followed the advice of other posters, to see your G.P. Don't be embarrassed about going - that's what they're there for and they've seen it all before. Whatever you have, it'll be nothing new to them.

You do have a problem that need addressing. Should you be diagnosed with TC - and only the medical people can do that - it is one of the most treatable forms of Cancer. Your GF is right in one respect - you are young and healthy - this will stand hugely if you require treatment.

You can find out more about TC HERE on the Irish Cancer Society website.

Early diagnosis is critical and rapid recovery is usual. I know several men who have had Testicular Cancer and all of those that I know are deemed to be 'All Clear'. Joe Deane, the Cork hurler, is one of those and remarkably he played in an All Ireland final, just a few weeks after treatment. Joe is interviewed on video here.

On the other hand, former Arsenal, Celtic (and others), John Hartson also suffered from TC and ignored the symptoms. His story is on video here.

Bottom line: See to it NOW......TODAY......ignore at your peril!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'd a lump about two years ago, it need up just a cyst.
    Just two things to point out:
    It's already been said but forget the nerves, you know there's something there already, go get it checked and don't think sure it'll go away
    Also, don't feel embarrassed about about getting your bits out, I'd a make doc initally, thought Christ this will be weird some guy felling me up, it's all very clinical, then a female radiologist for the scan and really thought ah crap! She spent about ten minutes on the scan and chatted about politics, the weather etc I literally forgot what she was actually doing.

Anyway as said the bottom line, if you are worried get checked out.

There a variety of things that can cause testicular discomfort. If anyone has problem then you need to get it checked out. I've had problems with Orchitis, which is an inflammation where they don't really know the cause. I had ultrascans twice, this condition comes and goes but doesn't get particularly worse. But the balls are sore sometimes and the pain sometimes travels diagonally into the lower abdomen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

just to update, i went to the docs there a while back and he had a look and said he could't find anything there. He siad it might have been just a slight inflamation of the epipdidimis and if it was still sore in 2 months to come back and recheck. Well now the pain has gone away and the lump appears to have at least shrunk if not dissappeared. Maybe it was just inflamed after all, but still it was good and reassuring to double check.
    I'll be kiiping any eye on it though all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

crazy story but i had a lump on my ball for about a year that seemed to be growing, thought nutin of it because I'd be a lazy fecker like that, when my family started realizing a constant bulge in my trousers they got concerned so I went to the doc.. he was like omG why havnt you got this checked out before, he measured my left testicle 6 inchs by 2 inchs..

Got an ultrasound, it was a huge hydrocele, got a simple surgery and it was fixed..

moral of story, dont be worrying about it but unlike me get it checked out asap! i've since been left with a crazily saggy ballsack!:o

fearbainne wrote: »
    crazy story but i had a lump on my ball for about a year that seemed to be growing, thought nutin of it because I'd be a lazy fecker like that, when my family started realizing a constant bulge in my trousers they got concerned so I went to the doc.. he was like omG why havnt you got this checked out before, he measured my left testicle 6 inchs by 2 inchs..

Got an ultrasound, it was a huge hydrocele, got a simple surgery and it was fixed..

moral of story, dont be worrying about it but unlike me get it checked out asap! i've since been left with a crazily saggy ballsack!:o

What caused it? Did you get an injury at some stage? :-&

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in as I don't have a lump on my lumps but I do have a lump elsewhere.

I've had a small pea-sized lump in my neck for as long as I can remember. I know I should have got it checked out years ago, but as I said it's been there since I was a kid so I kind of took it for granted. Anyway, I noticed last evening that it has grown significantly bigger all of a sudden.

Obviously I'm very concerned and didn't get much sleep last night. Ordinarily I'd be down the VHI Swiftcare place instead of at work worrying but here's the thing - I'm skint. I've had a couple of weekends away this month, including a stag in Monaco and it's cleaned me out financially. I've got VHI through work but I haven't got enough cash to get in the front door at VHI or a GP. I don't have a credit card and don't have any family in Ireland to borrow some cash off.

I'm going to my Bank in a moment to try to sort out a temportary overdraft but they if can't help me then is there anything I can do to get treatment without paying at the point of use? I'm going home to the UK on Tuesday evening so worst comes to the worst I can get it looked at on the NHS on Wednesday morning but that seems an age away. Right now I don't see how I can get it looked at in Ireland until payday (Thursday).

Advertisement