Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posture?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

is your posture good?

The other day i was reading a book and the writer mentioned something about posture and this got me thinking, Do you slouch all the time or do you have your shoulder's back and cheast sticking out etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Probably used to slouch a bit, in fairness, and then during school there was trying to carry about 40kg of books on my back...

I'd say I've pretty decent posture though. May not be perfect but I'm not sniffing the ground either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

thats weird. I was just giving out last night to the missus about my own posture.
    it can be pretty awful at times.

she suggested i should do yoga. apparently it's very good for straightening you out etc. going to google looking for "man yoga" this morning. I'll let you all know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have one of those weird posture chairs at home....it's brilliant for holding pizzas!

like one of those stool type things? that you rest your knees on?
    they always looked really uncomfortable to me. maybe thats because I have bad posture?

that's the one. Incredibly comfortable for the first 30 seconds or so, after that it's agony!

• Advertisement

yoga for you too then.

i just noticed it standing in front of window last night. slumped and rounded shoulders. i blame having to sit in the car so much, but to be fiar, i've always had it. makes me look like i've a beer belly. which i really don't. in fact when i stand like i should, for some magical but wonderful reason I look like i have some abdominale muscles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yoga for you too then.

i just noticed it standing in front of window last night. slumped and rounded shoulders. i blame having to sit in the car so much, but to be fiar, i've always had it. makes me look like i've a beer belly. which i really don't. in fact when i stand like i should, for some magical but wonderful reason I look like i have some abdominale muscles

Maybe for me 3 :pac:..

My posture is terrible.. :( but I'm working on improving it. Its all to easy to be lazy etc tho :(

what are you doing SnowMonkey?

you think if we got enough heads together we could get a discount, or maybe a private boards youga teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I tend to slouch a bit so I started working on my back muscles more in the gym. Its done a bit of good, since I used to only work the abs/pecs and that left me with strong front and weak back muscles. I would like to try yoga but Id feel awkward going.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Palimpsest

He has awful posture and the flexibility of an ironing board. He is astoundingly loving the yoga and has admitted out loud that I am right!!!!!:eek: Never happened to me before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Palimpsest wrote: »
    He has awful posture and the flexibility of an ironing board. He is astoundingly loving the yoga and has admitted out loud that I am right!!!!!:eek: Never happened to me before.
    Whilst I also fall into that category, and possibly (and I stress, possibly) ought to do something about it, it's the other bits of yoga apart from the pure exercise aspects that put me off ... all that 'lifestyle', 'meditation' and 'connecting with your spirituality' bollocks is for girls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Palimpsest

In my yoga class there are two builders-admitedly they nod off during the relaxation bit at the end. There is feck all connecting with your spirituality unless you count the breathing practice.

what are you doing SnowMonkey?

you think if we got enough heads together we could get a discount, or maybe a private boards youga teacher

I'm sitting at a computer hoping that my posture is correct :P

its not a bad idea after words, beer and discuss in detail the flexyness of the female yogi's...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 YogaChick

A style of yoga that is good for posture is Anusara yoga which places a large emphasis on physical alignment and the teachers are trained to work with a individuals posture. Also for those serious about posture check into Rolfing a form of physical therapy that realigns a persons body for better posture. Rolfing made a really huge difference for me and give me a lift beyond what yoga was able to do. I don't know any Anusara teachers in this country so I suppose Google might help and for more information on Rolfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Rolfing?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

it involves the teacher bending into weird positions and asking the class: "Can you tell what it is yet?" :)

tbh wrote: »
    it involves the teacher bending into weird positions and asking the class: "Can you tell what it is yet?" :)

OOO O OOOOO OOOOOO
    :eek:

a banana ? :D

Or here miss my dominatrix did that to one time feckin deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

i have terrible posture, i always remember my mam telling me when i was a kid to stand up straight but did i listen...

anyway what are these chairs you speak of?? and any more reccomendations would be helpful..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Maybe it's because I'm short or maybe it's the years I spent in the Civil Defence but either way I stand tall :pac:

I'm glad that I have good posture, I think that anyone without good posture could also look into pilates as this is good for strengthening the core ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had very poor posture due to a weakness in my back, and my physio recommended orthotics, and they have helped a lot with my posture - you can get good ones that will last for between 3-6 months, that cost about 50 euro, or even cheaper in some pharmacies, and if they work, you can get permanent ones from a physio AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

"Orthotics" won't necessarily have any affect on your posture particularly if you have a rounded shoulder forward head type posture. Orthotics generally alter lower limb biomechanics which can have a knock on affect on your low back.

Orthotics tend to be grossly overprescribed in Ireland.

Try pilates, better to address underlying problems.

chocgirl wrote: »
    "Orthotics" won't necessarily have any affect on your posture particularly if you have a rounded shoulder forward head type posture. Orthotics generally alter lower limb biomechanics which can have a knock on affect on your low back.

Orthotics tend to be grossly overprescribed in Ireland.

Try pilates, better to address underlying problems.

would ya look at the words she can use :eek:.....

I bet you got really big brain ?

I want to try pilaties tho Im scarred of going :(

would ya look at the words she can use :eek:.....

I bet you got really big brain ?

I want to try pilaties tho Im scarred of going :(

Eh... I'm going to ignore earlier comments. Try pilates nothing scary about it. There are classes all over the country.

Snow Monkey - be careful dude, don't wanna go offending the nice lady who is trying to help out.

Chocgirl, do you go to Pilates yourself or have much knowledge on the subject? If you do, is it something you get many men at? How would you say that it would improve someones posture?

chocgirl wrote: »
    Eh... I'm going to ignore earlier comments. Try pilates nothing scary about it. There are classes all over the country.

Im sorry i wasn't trying to offend you :( if i did I'm Very Very Sorry :(

Snow Monkey - be careful dude, don't wanna go offending the nice lady who is trying to help out.

I know i feel like a right pleb now :(

Chocgirl, do you go to Pilates yourself or have much knowledge on the subject? If you do, is it something you get many men at? How would you say that it would improve someones posture?

Yeah I've done quite a lot of pilates classes, I'm a physio too so I'd use a lot of the techniques with patients although I'm not qualified to teach it myself in a class setting.

Classes tend to be mostly women but that's changing. Actually have to say that the men who have been in the classes I've gone to have been uber fit and put a lot of the women to shame. Some of the larger hospitals with big physio departments are actually starting pilates classes aimed at people with chronic low back pain and these classes tend to be 50:50 male female so I think there will be more men attending private pilates classes as well.

How do you find out if theres pilates, class available in our area if you don't mind me asking ?
    I've got hyper mobility due to my lower sacrum (sp)(hope thats the propper word) not fusing properly. Resulting in an extra disk. Lower back pain can be pretty painful at time's and lyeing in a good bed can be even worse.

Whats Mat work or are there different kinds of, pilates ?

I know i feel like a right pleb now :(

you shouldn't. you manned up and apologised. in my opinion that makes you a better and worthwhile poster. :D

• Advertisement

How do you find out if theres pilates, class available in our area if you don't mind me asking ?
    I've got hyper mobility due to my lower sacrum (sp)(hope thats the propper word) not fusing properly. Resulting in an extra disk. Lower back pain can be pretty painful at time's and lyeing in a good bed can be even worse.

Whats Mat work or are there different kinds of, pilates ?

i would imagine google would be your friend here. I've not gotten round to it yet, but this week I will, and hopefully can go soon enough.

Chocgirl......if they make me wear spandex you are for it!!!!!! :p

Advertisement