Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pouring from overflow pipe....

Options
  • 23-02-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Water started dripping from the outside overflow pipe a couple of months ago and when I turned on the gas biler heating the flow would get a little faster. My neighbour had a look at the ballcock in the attic, adjusted the arm and there was a slight improvement. Over the last couple of weeks it has been dripping a lot more and now it is dripping constantly. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

ball cock probably needs to be replaced, may be taking water into the ball itself or the arm of it could be corroded and sticking leaving the valve in the always open position letting water into the tank. This will then overflow and and the excess will go out the overflow pipe. Be grateful you have an overflow pipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Are you sure its the overflow for the tank....

Its either the safety valve in the heating or i suspect its your cylinder coil leaking into your hot water.

I would have a plumber look at this sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dearg Doom 1

See this thread is a couple of years old know.... but wondered what the cause of it was?
    There were a couple of different posts with this this fault and reading through them offered loads of different possibilities. Mine is dripping almost constantly (drips more often than it doesn't, heating either on or off) and wondered what the outcome here was?
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

See this thread is a couple of years old know.... but wondered what the cause of it was?
    There were a couple of different posts with this this fault and reading through them offered loads of different possibilities. Mine is dripping almost constantly (drips more often than it doesn't, heating either on or off) and wondered what the outcome here was?
    Thanks...
    The first port of call is to usually replace the ballcock, the washer in them gets worn after a number of years and tends to leave a small amount of water past it.

Some people bend the arm, but usually thats a temporary fix, as the washer is still worn.

Replacing the ballcock in the attic cistern is usually a quick cheap job, and should be the first thing you get checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dearg Doom 1

Oh- thanks Outkast... I'm quite happy that the valve shuts off when the ball floats up-but I see the water line (when full) is just a smidgin over the overflow hole so it syphons. (Actually, the large tank fills, ball floats, valve shuts, but the level is just that bit too high so some of it overflows into the small tank beside, which is quite happily full, complete with closed valve also, but the overflow from the large tank causes the small tank level to rise just above the overflow level, so it then drips out in the garden)

I've seen how people bend them alright (on other threads)- I took to water pump pliers up but I have a fear of it snapping so I'm not gonna use anymore elbow before I have another one to replace it in case it snaps.
    Thanks again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement