Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal insulation - dealing with moisture/damp

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I may have misunderstood but I'm getting mixed messages about internal insulation in an old terraced house without cavity walls.

Received the following proposals:

1) Insluation boards should fixed directly to wall and covered with vapour barrier and plaster board;

2) Batons attaced to existing wall and boards, vapour barrier etc. attached to baton (this is deliberately designed to leave a small airspace between existing wall and insulation)

Problem is people have told me proposal 2) should DEFINITELY not be done however I trust the builder and have worked with him before. My concern is that warm air will meet cold air in this space and cause damp.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding point 2). Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You might get a better response here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Personally I think the Jury is still out on the best way to do this job as only time will provide answers as to who is right and wrong.

I would''t call myself an expert but I have done option two a few times now with great success. ( no problems after 4 years so far )
    I'm actually doing the samt thing with our Bathroom outside wall right now before renovating the Bathroom itself.
    There's a couple of things you need to be aware of.
    Firstly the outside wall must be able to breath. if it's been plastered with Hard wall plaster or similar then it needs to be removed. As the plaster seals the wall and so prevents it from breathing. Therefore any moisture will condense on the wall and create problems. A Sand Cement finish seems to be fine as it does breath.
    The second most important thing to do is seal all openings at the bottom of the cavities between battens with spray foam before fitting Skirting.
    That way the wall and cavity can breath and the warm air from the room is prevented from entering the cavity.

I cannot see much benefit in fixing directly to a solid wall as the real benefit of insulation will be lost over time.
    It might be ok on a Cavity block wall.

Advertisement