Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorry my dear commuters

• 15-10-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Taking Dublin bus every day, don't know Dublin Bus do not allow to take food on board.

Always had my breakfast on the bus, as it take me really some time to go to work, and I notice some person do this also on dublin bus/LUAS...

Sorry my dear commuters, and dear dublin drivers, will never do it again... Orz

In case you do not know this:

43. No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

From Dublinbus Passenger-Behaviour page

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,142 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

did a driver or other member of dublin bus say that you weren't to eat on the bus? if not then continue. as long as your clean and take your litter with you then you should be fine

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

did a driver or other member of dublin bus say that you weren't to eat on the bus? if not then continue. as long as your clean and take your litter with you then you should be fine
    It appears clear in the bye-laws but they must have been changed recently? as previously the only food or drinks not allowed were hot or alcoholic drinks or food.

Or maybe this is a special interpretation of the bye-laws written up for the Dublin Bus website?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    43. No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

According to the law they can turf you off the bus for drinking from a bottle of water if you were coughing your lungs up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I always eat me snackboxes on the bus on the the way home. I don't want to put off other passengers with the smell though, so I only eat upstairs as the cigarette smoke disguises everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

n97 mini wrote: »
    I always eat me snackboxes on the bus on the the way home. I don't want to put off other passengers with the smell though, so I only eat upstairs as the cigarette smoke disguises everything.

Ah many a snackbox I had from Aprilles in Stillorgan on the last 46A. Dacent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I used to eat lunch on the bus on the way home from the hospital when I was pregnant... oh well... (it was eat it then or nothing I had to be back for the other kids).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

People eating crisps, popcorn, or chips are the most annoying. For some reason usually observed downstairs at the back with feet on the seats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I used have a travel cup of tea on the bus when I was on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Loads of drivers have them too. I wouldn't worry about the bye law OP , nobody is arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Yeah I was stopped once from boarding a bus (46A) with a 'chipper' bag unopened as I was bringing it home [two stop] I had never heard of that until then (I am sure there were stickers up on the bus that I've ALWAYS missed) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Grandeeod wrote: »
    snackbox I had from Aprilles in Stillorgan.

Yuummmmyyy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Always been there. I think. Would eat a bar of chocolate on the bus at time. Don't agree with having hot food on the bus though. Love myself fish and chips at home, but I don't want to smell them on the bus.

**Disclaimer** have done hot food on the night link. at that stage in the night about 50% of people tend to have hot food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I was stopped from bringing a cup of coffee (with a lid) aboard a bus to Blanchardstown in 2011. The driver was a real rule-bully.

I once saw a woman spill such a coffee (with a lid!) all down her front on the 11. It was one of those things where you just knew it was going to happen. Morto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Monday night 930ish 7 home from O'Connell st for about 2 years, always made sure I timed it to made it from DIT to chipper to busstop :)

You can understand why the law is there, to prevent mess and smells but at the same time it's perfectly reasonable that it's mainly ignored. Not being able to take a coffee on a bus is a bit much IMO, sure you can bring them on planes over here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I ****ing hate the smell of greasy burgers on the bus. Cop yourselves on. Selfish twits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The hot drink rule tends to be enforced and is perfectly reasonable, especially on a busy service, where you don't know how many people you would end up burning or splashing. The smell of hot drinks and hot food tend to take over the entire saloon.
    You can understand why the law is there, to prevent mess and smells but at the same time it's perfectly reasonable that it's mainly ignored. Not being able to take a coffee on a bus is a bit much IMO, sure you can bring them on planes over here!
    The plane doesn't brake every few hundred metres, like buses do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Selfish twats.
    You might rephrase that.

Victor wrote: »
    You might rephrase that.

Apologies. Typo. Selfish twits of course :)

If there's one good thing about the Maynooth line is that you can have it all (except speed).

Many's the time I've gotten the train home with my burger and chips in tow, along with a decent bottle of craft beer to wash it all down. Tables provided for your eating and drinking pleasure. By the time I'm almost home there's a jacks for a wiz and a quick freshen up.

I always reckoned IE were missing a trick by not selling coffee and bagels on the morning trains, and chips and beer on the evening trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

m_hunter wrote: »
    Taking Dublin bus every day, don't know Dublin Bus do not allow to take food on board.

Always had my breakfast on the bus, as it take me really some time to go to work, and I notice some person do this also on dublin bus/LUAS...

I am reminded of the "Cooked breakfast on the Luas" meme on C&T several years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

People eat on trains all the time :mad: Not just the rubbish they sell on the trolley, snackboxes from Supermacs are a favourite. They stink the whole carriage out and a lot of fast food smells like it has been eaten before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

reminds me of a few years ago when I got the bus from London to Cork. A family brought on a massive bucket of KFC and worked their way through it over about 2 hours. The smell was sickening, but it only got worse. In the deep dark depths of South Wales at about midnight, the smell of KFC again wafted throughout the bus as the family had a second go off the now 6 hour old freezing chicken. I almost threw up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I was on a London bus one night and some guy threw a hamburger and chips with ketchup at me. I'd bits of food in my hair and all over my clothes. Had to go home and skip a party.

I can see why it might be needed when you have messy drunks

Wether or not it's legal, allowed, in the by-laws, whatever -- how bad mannered does somebody have to be to subject a load of other people in a poorly ventilated vehicle to one's greasy, smelly food? Common courtesy, people.

Aard wrote: »
    Wether or not it's legal, allowed, in the by-laws, whatever -- how bad mannered does somebody have to be to subject a load of other people in a poorly ventilated vehicle to one's greasy, smelly food? Common courtesy, people.

That's these days. Not everyone was so stuck up their own ass years ago.

And that is not directed at you, its a general observation because times change and I accept that. However there was a time when nobody gave a damn and you could scoff away.

That's these days. Not everyone was so stuck up their own ass years ago.

And that is not directed at you, its a general observation because times change and I accept that. However there was a time when nobody gave a damn and you could scoff away.

It was easier to scoff away when (1) there were fewer choices of food and portions were smaller. Commuters might eat a home made sandwich on the bus or train which didn't smell anything like the chemical addled stuff that comes out of today's fast food chains. Chinese and Indian takeaways were a rare treat, not something to be wolfed down on public transport. A visit to the chippers was also a treat.

(2) Buses and trains weren't as jam packed in those days so it wasn't such a big deal if someone was eating a bag of Borzas curry chips on the last bus home. Curry chips from small independent chippers are healthier and don't smell nearly as noxious as curry chips from fast food chains.

(3) Heuston station today is a carb shopping mall as well as a place to catch trains. Years ago (I know I sound like an oulwan) there wasn't such a huge choice of carb laden food at train stations.

(4) People smoked on buses and trains in the past and that would have disguised bad food smells. OK, you can get off a bus or train now without your clothes stinking of smoke but stinking of curry chips or some unspeakable dish that smells like it has been eaten before is nearly worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I have this thing called a "kitchen table and chairs" which is much more enjoyable to eat my breakfast at. If time is an issue, I'd set my alarm 10 minutes early. Someone chomping their breakfast beside me would really get on my t!ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Add to that people eating popcorn on a bus :) They couldn't just eat a Mars Bar or a packet of Tayhos, no they bring the smelliest bit of food they can and subject us all to it. At least in this weather you can open a window and try and freeze them as penance.

As for hot food. Yuck, leaving the smell alone aside you have greasy fingers all over the seats and railings. How hard is it not to be stuffing your face for the 30 minutes you'll be on a bus?

If someone's starving, I'm not going to begrudge them their food. I think people need to live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

If someone's starving, I'm not going to begrudge them their food. I think people need to live and let live.

Yeah fair enough all for that. But if someone wants to stink out a bus or train with their noxious take away food, I think a bit of due consideration goes a long way as well

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

I'd class someone eating a bag of vinegar soaked chips on the bus in the same category as the inconsiderate eejits who smoke or listen to music / watch videos without headphones.

If there's one good thing about the Maynooth line is that you can have it all (except speed).

Many's the time I've gotten the train home with my burger and chips in tow, along with a decent bottle of craft beer to wash it all down. Tables provided for your eating and drinking pleasure. By the time I'm almost home there's a jacks for a wiz and a quick freshen up.

I always reckoned IE were missing a trick by not selling coffee and bagels on the morning trains, and chips and beer on the evening trains.

Good for you if you can get a table to yourself to eat your fragrant :rolleyes: dinner on the train. And better still if you can make your way past the crowds on the train and the food trolley to get to the jacks to have your wiz. I hope you take your rubbish with and don't litter the train like a lot of people.

You should travel on the Waterford train for a change. You might well have to stand with your fast food dripping grease all over the floor or more than likely, other commuters. If you're lucky enough to get a seat you won't have the table to yourself and you might not get a table, you could end up on one of the Ryanair style seats with fold down tables. That's if you're lucky. You will sit on seats impregnated with the food smells and debris of all the happy eaters who were there before you. You might be shoved into the window or corridor by a supersize passenger who has consumed a lot of fast food on public transport. You might have to eat your food off your lap because your fellow passengers could have children sitting on the table tops on account of the train being so crowded. These children will be boisterous and will most likely shout at you repeatedly "Can I have a chip mister?"

When you get the urge for a wiz you'll have to relieve yourself in your seat (I'm convinced some passengers on the Waterford line actually DO this) because the train will be too crowded for you to get to the jacks. As for freshening up on the train forget it. It would be easier and more hygienic to freshen up in a cattle shed than in the jacks on the Waterford train.

Seriously, do you not think it is a little selfish to eat on a crowded commuter train? If you want your burger, chips and craft beer why not wait until you get home and get them in a local chippers/off licence? You will be supporting local business that way, something that is sadly needed in commuter towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I don't mind people eating as long as I don't have to smell it. Stinking cheese and onion crisps on the goddam bus gets right up my nose. Gross.

Emme wrote: »
    Good for you if you can get a table to yourself to eat your fragrant :rolleyes: dinner on the train. And better still if you can make your way past the crowds on the train and the food trolley to get to the jacks to have your wiz. I hope you take your rubbish with and don't litter the train like a lot of people.

You should travel on the Waterford train for a change. You might well have to stand with your fast food dripping grease all over the floor or more than likely, other commuters. If you're lucky enough to get a seat you won't have the table to yourself and you might not get a table, you could end up on one of the Ryanair style seats with fold down tables. That's if you're lucky. You will sit on seats impregnated with the food smells and debris of all the happy eaters who were there before you. You might be shoved into the window or corridor by a supersize passenger who has consumed a lot of fast food on public transport. You might have to eat your food off your lap because your fellow passengers could have children sitting on the table tops on account of the train being so crowded. These children will be boisterous and will most likely shout at you repeatedly "Can I have a chip mister?"

When you get the urge for a wiz you'll have to relieve yourself in your seat (I'm convinced some passengers on the Waterford line actually DO this) because the train will be too crowded for you to get to the jacks. As for freshening up on the train forget it. It would be easier and more hygienic to freshen up in a cattle shed than in the jacks on the Waterford train.

Seriously, do you not think it is a little selfish to eat on a crowded commuter train? If you want your burger, chips and craft beer why not wait until you get home and get them in a local chippers/off licence? You will be supporting local business that way, something that is sadly needed in commuter towns.

Who said anything about crowded? Everywhere is closed after I get off the train at 11.50pm, some of it by law.

You need to call Joe about that Waterford train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I don't mind people eating as long as I don't have to smell it. Stinking cheese and onion crisps on the goddam bus gets right up my nose. Gross.

I used to travel on the Tralee - Dublin train for a while. There was a woman who used to get on and bring hard boil egg sandwiches on route. The stench was unreal.

I don't mind people eating on public transport as long as the food is not smelly and they tidy up afterwards.

• Advertisement

Speaking of which. .

I've just boarded a number 40 on College Green. Stinks of chicken&chips.

Really selfish. There are words I'd like to use to describe the sort of people who don't care about anyone else but I'd definitely get a red card.

So I'll just suffer the trip home and eat good food with a knife and fork at a table when I get in.

I'll enjoy both the food and the feeling of superiority over the bus diners.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I used to travel on the Tralee - Dublin train for a while. There was a woman who used to get on and bring hard boil egg sandwiches on route. The stench was unreal.

I don't mind people eating on public transport as long as the food is not smelly and they tidy up afterwards.

The worst thing about trains is that you can't open a window in the ones now. Even if someone opens a supposedly innocent packet of crisps you can smell it throughout the whole carriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The worst is when people are painting their nails on the bus with all the windows closed. It has to be the most sickening smell possible.Also people spraying deo or hair spray on the bus. Its unfair to other passengers.

hfallada wrote: »
    The worst is when people are painting their nails on the bus with all the windows closed.

I had this on an airplane once where the Celtic Tigress involved got very stroppy at the objection. Sorry love, just trying to breathe here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

hmmm wrote: »
    Add to that people eating popcorn on a bus :) They couldn't just eat a Mars Bar or a packet of Tayhos, no they bring the smelliest bit of food they can and subject us all to it. At least in this weather you can open a window and try and freeze them as penance.

As for hot food. Yuck, leaving the smell alone aside you have greasy fingers all over the seats and railings. How hard is it not to be stuffing your face for the 30 minutes you'll be on a bus?

Since when was popcorn classified as a smelly food.

• Advertisement

Popcorn. Crisps. Smelly egg sambos. Takeaway food. How times have changed! There was a time when nobody gave a ****!

Popcorn. Crisps. Smelly egg sambos. Takeaway food. How times have changed! There was a time when nobody gave a ****!

That's because the smell of Rothmans and Major covered up the smell of pungent snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

m_hunter wrote: »

I remember when smoking on the upper deck of the bus was permitted.

Emme wrote: »
    That's because the smell of Rothmans and Major covered up the smell of pungent snacks.

And you moaned about the smell of smoke.

I fully expect a ban on farting to be introduced to bye laws such is the expectations of public transport users. Personally, I'd rather sniff a dudes takeaway/fart than put up with a violent drunk/junkie.

And you moaned about the smell of smoke.

I fully expect a ban on farting to be introduced to bye laws such is the expectations of public transport users. Personally, I'd rather sniff a dudes takeaway/fart than put up with a violent drunk/junkie.

We all have our little fetishes :D

There should be a ban on sleeping on the train. I'd take the smell of vinegar for 10 minutes before 3 hours of snoring any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There was a time when nobody gave a ****!

you still get them the odd time, nestling down below the back seat upstairs
    :puke smiley:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

What the hell? Popcorn doesn't smell unless you're one of those demons that eats cheesy popcorn (eugh!) If not it's literally air and salt in the bag...

I'd often eat a cereal bar, banana or maybe a sandwich on the bus, usually only if I have the seat to myself though as I don't wanna be chomping next to someone. I dunno if this is stupid or not but, if I have one of those nature valley bars with me, the ones with the peanuts, I always scoff that before I get on or wait, cos I'm terrified I'll end up near someone with an allergy and make them sick. :eek:

I don't even know anyone with an allergy, it's just something that always plagues my mind when I think of opening one on the bus. :o

Actually, while we're at it -- perfume. I'd put up with almost any strong food smell over the allergy-triggering amount of perfume worn by many women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

What the hell? Popcorn doesn't smell unless you're one of those demons that eats cheesy popcorn (eugh!) If not it's literally air and salt in the bag...

Ah to be fair there is a distinct smell off those bags of Manhattan popcorn, and while I don't despise it, I'm not fond of it either. I was only reminded of this thread by someone across from me on the train yesterday evening opening a bag, and I realised it first by the smell, and only then did I look. Therefore there is definitely a smell!

• Advertisement
Advertisement