Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish troops

Options
  • 11-11-2015 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Throughout history, has Ireland contributed more troops to the British Empire or to Irish separatist movements?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Considering that violent separatist movements only began just prior to the 19th Century, its most certainly the former....by FAR

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jesus. wrote: »
    Considering that violent separatist movements only began just prior to the 19th Century, its most certainly the former....by FAR
    Plus, violent separatists movement mostly work with guerilla tactics, rather than trying to put an army in the field. So they don't want to recruit on a large scale, or attempt to do so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As above. Also as the Crown paid for soldiers it would be unsurprising given the lack of other opportunities that Irish made up a significant proportion in the various armies; for instance about 40% of the troops were such in many Napoleonic campaigns .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

There's the 1641 rebellion which until Cromwell arrived was the last time the whole of Ireland was de facto under Irish control. But there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows how many people took part in 1641 or who even died in it. Plus there was a resistance to Cromwell.

The United Irish Army & The Irish Volunteers numbered around 100,000 each on paper anyway.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Plus, violent separatists movement mostly work with guerilla tactics, rather than trying to put an army in the field. So they don't want to recruit on a large scale, or attempt to do so.

But that's only since 1919 although there was a bit of guerrilla fighting in 1803. 1798 & 1641 & even the Fenian faids used relatively conventional tactics which was their down fall fighting a superior enemy.

• Advertisement

There's the 1641 rebellion which until Cromwell arrived was the last time the whole of Ireland was de facto under Irish control. But there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows how many people took part in 1641 or who even died in it. Plus there was a resistance to Cromwell.

That wasn't a separatist movement though. They were fighting for a British King.

I think though perhaps the OP meant all those kinds of conflicts too, not just separatist ones which was a much later phenomenon.

That wasn't a separatist movement though. They were fighting for a British King.

I think though perhaps the OP meant all those kinds of conflicts too, not just separatist ones which was a much later phenomenon.

Yeah, but when the King was killed they set-up an independent Catholic Confederation separate from England & Scotland who were still fighting each other.

There was also 1690.

And there was a huge rebellion in 1848, lasted ages, way past lunch time.

Yeah, but when the King was killed they set-up an independent Catholic Confederation separate from England & Scotland who were still fighting each other. There was also 1690. And there was a huge rebellion in 1848, lasted ages, way past lunch time.

Not quite. The Confederation was set up years before he was killed and it pledged allegiance to him. 1690 was the same deal. They were fighting for a British King also. The United Irishmen were the first separatists.

(The Widow McCormack's cabbage patch? I remember doing an article on that in College long ago :pac:)

Not quite. The Confederation was set up years before he was killed and it pledged allegiance to him. 1690 was the same deal. They were fighting for a British King also. The United Irishmen were the first separatists.
    The confederates did profess loyalty to the king, but they also called for self-government for Ireland. By "self-government" I think they meant an independent Parliament and a similar relationship to England as Scotland (at the time, pre-Act of Union) had. Whether you call that "separatism" or not is up to you. I would't myself, but I would say that they wanted a greater degree of separation, or a greater degree of independence.

The also wanted toleration of Catholicism, and full civil rights for Catholics.

I think that, to some degree at least, their royalism was not a fundamental principle but a strategy; they say it as the best way to achieve their objectives (self-government, toleration, civil rights). I think their royalism was fairly conditional, so, and one of the conditions was a commitment by the king to greater separation for Ireland. And in fact the confederation eventually split over whether the king had given sufficient guarantees that these objectives would be granted, and over the question of whether he could be trusted to honour the guarantees he had given. So a very qualified royalism, them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

To some extent, there seems to be a whitewash of Ireland's role in British history. The Duke of Wellington for example, was an Irishman who served as Primer Minister in Britain yet there barely is a mention of him in school just because he was Anglo-Irish. Why exactly is there debate surrounding his origins? He was born in Ireland to Irish parents, where is the doubt stemming from? The school curriculum in Ireland resembles something from the Soviet Union.

• Advertisement

Why exactly is there debate surrounding his origins? He was born in Ireland to Irish parents, where is the doubt stemming from?

I thought the only doubt was whether he was born in Trim or the Phoenix Park?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

To some extent, there seems to be a whitewash of Ireland's role in British history. The Duke of Wellington for example, was an Irishman who served as Primer Minister in Britain yet there barely is a mention of him in school just because he was Anglo-Irish. Why exactly is there debate surrounding his origins? He was born in Ireland to Irish parents, where is the doubt stemming from? The school curriculum in Ireland resembles something from the Soviet Union.
    I don't know much about Wellington's non military career but did he have much to do with Ireland besides being born here? I mean Cliff Richard was born and lived in India as a kid but I doubt he's claimed as Indian too often? And there are many other examples from the empire times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

I don't know much about Wellington's non military career but did he have much to do with Ireland besides being born here? I mean Cliff Richard was born and lived in India as a kid but I doubt he's claimed as Indian too often? And there are many other examples from the empire times

He was a member Irish Parliament, after the abolition of the Parliament and his return from India he had a senior position at Dublin castle. He was certainly a liberal in terms of his views on Catholic Emancipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I thought the only doubt was whether he was born in Trim or the Phoenix Park?

Wellington was born in Upper Merrion Street. Dublin.

His birth was announced in a number of newspapers, including the Freeman's Journal. It was quite explicit -
    In Merrion Street, to the Countess of Mornington, a son.

The Mornington residence is now part of the Merrion Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

His understanding of the situation in Ireland lead to his decission on Catholic Emancipation even though it made him deeply unpopular.

No. The history curriculum in Ireland focuses on (a) Irish history, and (b) European history. We don't make a point of looking for Irishmen who achieved distinction in other countries and studying them just because they are Irish. So Irishmen who play a role in British history, or US history, don't get noticed.

Wellington is noticed in so far as his career affected Ireland - Catholic emancipation, in other words. Similarly other British prime ministers of particular interest to Irish history - e.g. Gladstone - get noticed in that regard. Studying British politicians who have an notable impact on Ireland makes a lot more sense than studying the British politicians who happen to have been born in Ireland. Simply having been born in Ireland is not a particular distinction; I achieved it myself with no effort at all!

You say Soviet Union, I say common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

1690 was the same deal. They were fighting for a British King also.

This is true. And the great hero of that conflict, on the Irish side, was a chap called Sarsfield. He had/has some interesting family connections.

His brother married the daughter of one of the (very) many mistresses of King Charles II, ie King James II's brother. So clearly the Sarsfields moved in the same circles as royalty.

A grand-daughter from that union married into the Bingham family of Anglo-Irish gentry. I suspect, as Sarsfield was the Earl of Lucan, that this is how that peerage came into the Bingham family. Those of a certain age may remember the Lord Lucan (family name Bingham) who disappeared in the early 1970s having killed his children's nanny.

Anyway, back to the Eighteenth century Binghams: a few generations later, one of them married into another aristocratic family namely the Spencers. A direct descendant of that union was Lady Diana Spencer, born in 1962.

As she was a direct descendant of Patrick Sarsfield's brother it follows that in the fullness of time, ie not very long now, the great x8 or perhaps x9 nephew of Patrick Sarsfield will ascend the throne of Great Britain.

Wonder what all the GAA clubs named Sarsfields will make of that :)

(The Widow McCormack's cabbage patch? I remember doing an article on that in College long ago :pac:)

Yep, that's the one, even tho it might the worst attempt at rebellion/revolution ever, it still makes Ireland a very, very, very, very, very, very small part of the 1848 European revolutions.

What about the the Nine Year War August 1594 – March 1603 lead by Hugh O'Neil & allied with the Spanish. Would that not be considered a separatist war? Wasn't one of their goals to remove "English rule" from Ireland?

The 17th century must have been the most bloodiest in modern Irish history. The Nine Year War, 1641 Revolt, Cromwell Invasion & the Williamite War in Ireland. Scary times to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

To some extent, there seems to be a whitewash of Ireland's role in British history. The Duke of Wellington for example, was an Irishman who served as Primer Minister in Britain yet there barely is a mention of him in school just because he was Anglo-Irish. Why exactly is there debate surrounding his origins?

Where is there a debate surrounding his origins? There is none.

There is a popular misconception, now widely discredited thanks in small part to Boards.ie ;) that he once bitterly denounced his Irish origins by commenting "Being born in a stable does not make a man a horse"

But as is now becoming more widely known that was not said BY him, but it was said ABOUT him. By none other than Daniel O'Connell.

So it was not a case of Wellington denying his origins, it was O'Connell belittling them.

And anyway, isn't there a sodding great obelisk in Phoenix Park still called The Wellington Monument? If you're a Dub you can see it from just about anywhere on the river in the city west of O'Connell Bridge.

If you're a culchie you can see it out the window of your train as it pulls into Heuston when you come up for the match or the shopping.

That's hardly sweeping him under the carpet now, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

And anyway, isn't there a sodding great obelisk in Phoenix Park still called The Wellington Monument? If you're a Dub you can see it from just about anywhere on the river in the city west of O'Connell Bridge.

If you're a culchie you can see it out the window of your train as it pulls into Heuston when you come up for the match or the shopping.

.......and for jackeens that are forced to travel out to the sticks there is this monument in Trim

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=ME&regno=14328006

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The relationship of the Anglo-Irish to the Irish is about as distinct as the Anglo-Indian to the Indian. Or Anglo African to the African.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Meaning?

please clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

The relationship of the Anglo-Irish to the Irish is about as distinct as the Anglo-Indian to the Indian. Or Anglo African to the African.

I would love to hear that explained, the surnames in my family last 2 generations include Connell, Walsh, Kavanagh, Black, O'Reilly, Bennett, De Lacey, Brodigan, and O'Rourke that in my view is about average in Ireland and represents a complete mix of Irish and Anglo-Irish.

I don't want to put words in Eugene's mouth but I suspect he was talking about the old Gentry as opposed to ordinary people with all sorts of non-Gaelic names. In that context he is of course correct. The traditional "big house" owners would've had little interaction with their tenants, would've been educated privately in England and would have posh home-counties accents. You'd have been hard pressed to distinguish one from an upper class member of the English Gentry.

The difference between one of these folk and the average Catholic bushwhacker from rural Ireland would've been like night and day.

In 1797 William Tate an Irish American led a French Revolutionary force of about 1500 men that landed in Wales in support of the United Irishmen which I think was the last ever land attempt at invading Britain. They were defeated pretty quickly tho.

Never heard of that Darky. Thanks for that. Looks like it was a debacle. Interesting fellow that Tate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They landed, went to the pub, got pissed and got rounded up by the local militia.

Not exactly an invasion, more an 18/30 stag weekend.

I suppose that's what you get when you release a load of convicts and bring them on a mission

Advertisement