Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Likelihood of Legal Trouble after Verbal Abuse on Street

• 01-11-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, looking for some feedback on this. Firstly, I am very much aware that I am in the wrong, I take responsibility for my behaviour and am just wondering how worried I should be.
    About two weeks ago I had a verbal altercation with another road user, shouting expletives and thumped his car window with my hand. Passers-by tried to intervene and I told them to 'eff off' too. Totally lost my temper and am ashamed to admit it.
    The Gardai came upon the scene and said they saw me shouting while driving around on their patrol. I had calmed down by the time they had arrived. They took the details of all involved and everybody went their separate ways. I apologised to the driver but I handled the whole thing so poorly.
    I haven't heard anything since then but I am wondering if it is highly likely that I will have a summons arrive at my door or that the passers- by or the driver will press charges against me?
    I am a very worried young man!!

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anything is possible.

Perhaps some anger management classes? Get regular exercise to burn off the stress / adrenelin. If you can, remove some of the stresses in your life. Perhaps staying sober (not accusing you of anything) might also be useful.
    The Gardai came upon the scene and said they saw me shouting while driving around on their patrol. I had calmed down by the time they had arrived.
    They may have seen you long before you saw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Technically you've probably committed an assault (amusing caselaw every law student knows about banging on car windows). No one can really answer the question you've asked.

I second the suggestion above, get some counseling, keep proof of same.

If you're asked to go in and see the guards, speak to a solicitor first.

If you do get a summons speak to a solicitor.

If after about six months you've heard nothing I'd stop worrying about it. If the worst comes to worst it won't be the end of the world, especially if you're properly advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hello, looking for some feedback on this. Firstly, I am very much aware that I am in the wrong, I take responsibility for my behaviour and am just wondering how worried I should be.
    About two weeks ago I had a verbal altercation with another road user, shouting expletives and thumped his car window with my hand. Passers-by tried to intervene and I told them to 'eff off' too. Totally lost my temper and am ashamed to admit it.
    The Gardai came upon the scene and said they saw me shouting while driving around on their patrol. I had calmed down by the time they had arrived. They took the details of all involved and everybody went their separate ways. I apologised to the driver but I handled the whole thing so poorly.
    I haven't heard anything since then but I am wondering if it is highly likely that I will have a summons arrive at my door or that the passers- by or the driver will press charges against me?
    I am a very worried young man!!

Thank you for your time.

This matter is done, think yourself lucky op I have seen people have criminal records for less.

Less anger more logic

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Zambia wrote: »
    This matter is done, think yourself lucky op I have seen people have criminal records for less.

Less anger more logic

What ever happened to 'hit first and hit hard?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    What ever happened to 'hit first and hit hard?'

Very hard to claim self defence when you leave the safety of your car and bang on someone else's.

If you ever hit someone with intent be prepared to explian yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Zambia wrote: »
    Very hard to claim self defence when you leave the safety of your car and bang on someone else's.

If you ever hit someone with intent be prepared to explian yourself

I'll explain myself to St Peter and nobody else

• Registered Users Posts: 2 worriedman2014

Thank you all for your replies.

I will certainly look into anger management, this whole incident really opened up my eyes to my temper!
    I don't drink and never really have so that's one thing I should probably be grateful for.

As it looks fairly 50/50 on whether anything may come of it but it does look likely that there are grounds to charge me with assault, all I can do is wait and see what happens over the coming months. I will be sure to consult a solicitor if and when anything does arise.

Again, sincere thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and advise me, it is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

They may decide to fine you for disorderly conduct but it is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,670 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If there's a charge, the most likely charge is "threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour" under Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 s. 6. Given that you had calmed down before the guards left the scene, and had apologised to the other driver - lots of brownie points there - I'd say your chances of no charge at all are pretty good, but it does depend on whether the other guy thumps the counter for long enough, demanding that you be charged.

If you are charged, see a solicitor immediately. Properly handled, there's a good chance that you would end up with the Probation Act applied, no conviction recorded.

Advertisement