Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few mac questions..

Options
  • 25-05-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

just reformatted and reinstalled osx and i'm trying to free up some space at the moment.. the os takes up a massive 23gigs..

anyway, got a few items in the trash can that just won't go away..
    "the item ... can not be deleted because it is locked"

i've tried taking the item out of the trash can and unlocking it but it won't work.. any ideas?

an a seperate note, i bought the macbook pro on it's release and there are a few issues with it.. surprisingly :rolleyes:
    like a lot of others, my macbook suffers from the high heating temperatures and whining noise... but these don't bother me as much as the paint that has come off the the little button that opens the lid..

i'm wondering where i stand with apple on this? the coating is peeling away from the button and it just looks ridiculous.. i'm thinking it's from the heat of my hands (i use to rest my thumb on that spot) so possibly my fault but there should have been a warning surely :)

would i be entitled to a replacement?
    to anybody that has recieved a replacement laptop from apple before, how long does it take? is there a deliveryadministration charge?

more questions..
    how can i delete the extra languages? i hear they take up 2-3gigs..
    all of my iweb and idvd templates are in french.. anybody else with a macbook experience this? can i change them back to english? (i chose english as my language when installing..)

now for my final question .. anyone wanna have a go at answering them all? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I had the problem with items that were locked. Mine were to do with the fact that all the items were in folders and I only unlocked the folder itself and not each specific item.

Try highlighting all the items, and getting info on all of them. Unlock them that way. It worked for me.

As for the rest sorry I can't help there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

[nicK] wrote:
    the paint that has come off the the little button that opens the lid..

i'm wondering where i stand with apple on this? the coating is peeling away from the button and it just looks ridiculous.. i'm thinking it's from the heat of my hands (i use to rest my thumb on that spot) so possibly my fault but there should have been a warning surely :)

would i be entitled to a replacement?
    to anybody that has recieved a replacement laptop from apple before, how long does it take? is there a deliveryadministration charge?
    Same thing is happening to my PowerBook - it's annoying. I don't rest my thumb on it at all. Photo attached. I'd like to get it fixed tbh.

My brother sent his iBook back to Apple while it was under warranty (PRAM problem) and they collected it and delivered it free of charge - it only took 4 days. I'm not sure if they repair your machine or simply send you out a 'reconditioned' one. If you do send it to them it will come back to you minus all your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

[nicK] wrote:
    just reformatted and reinstalled osx and i'm trying to free up some space at the moment.. the os takes up a massive 23gigs..
    Thats a lot, mine is 1.6gigs. Something does not sound right. Its hard to help without being able to see your system. Do you have a friend who has a mac that could take a look at it.
    how can i delete the extra languages? i hear they take up 2-3gigs
    Download Monolingual1.3.2., but be carefull not to erase any of the English languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you Erase and install or just reinstall over the existing system. Try Onyx or Whatsize to clean up the system a bit. My complete system with OSX.4.6, iLife, PS, Office and a lot of apps and Docs and photos only takes up 32GB !?

As for the trash problem, have you tried this ?

ZEN

Advertisement