Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai seizing cars

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Zambia wrote: »
    The police here (Vic) dont take cars here for lack of tax/rego.

They do impound cars for Doughnuts and repeated driving whilst Disqualified/suspended/unlicenced offences.

If your registration is out of date and you are caught you are fined roughly the cost of registration for a year on the spot.

If you are over three months out of registration the police retrieve the plates of the vehicle and leave the owner plateless on the side of the road.

A lot less bother than taking a car.

A far more sensible approach, where is this, Australia?

i know, obviously, people have no option but to pay car tax, but for a variety of reasons some people are in financial difficulty and cant afford tax at certain points but may need the car to get to work etc, with the new system in place they have to back tax anyway so its not like they can get away without paying plus they get a fine, i just think leaving someone on the side of the road is a low act, needless, pointless, potentially dangerous and stupid, a bit more cop on should be applied as in the example above from Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jezzer wrote: »
    i know, obviously, people have no option but to pay car tax, but for a variety of reasons some people are in financial difficulty and cant afford tax at certain points but may need the car to get to work etc, with the new system in place they have to back tax anyway so its not like they can get away without paying plus they get a fine, i just think leaving someone on the side of the road is a low act, needless, pointless, potentially dangerous and stupid, a bit more cop on should be applied as in the example above from Australia.

In fairness to the irish legislation the Victorian (Australian) legislation and practice does the same thing if your financial shy.

Your left at the side of the road with your car either with or without plates. Now if you have plates and cash you can use your smartphone to pay your registration.

If you have no cash you are fined the cost of the registration you still cant pay the registration and the temptation to risk driving again is overwhelming. You could turn the corner and be down another 700 bucks.

And once you get a few fines the sheriff's operate check points, if you are carrying a few fines in the end you lose your car as seen below.

Werribee2.jpg

very true but at least your life is not put at risk by being left to walk on a busy road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

very true but at least your life is not put at risk by being left to walk on a busy road

But it is, with the Victorian system when they take your plates you're not permitted to drive the car, so you have to leave the car there and arrange another way home.

source wrote: »
    But it is, with the Victorian system when they take your plates you're not permitted to drive the car, so you have to leave the car there and arrange another way home.

Pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

OK but the question is - can they pick up someone thumbing on the road if they think they are in danger?
    Yes, they can, or at least they have. Had a breakdown on a motorway about a year ago, no phone with me so couldn't call the breakdown service or a taxi. It was about 3AM on a midweek misty night. Figured there was nothing I could do but start walking and pray a taxi passed but just as I was getting out of the car a squad car pulled in behind me. They asked what the story was and dropped me straight to my door, about ten miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

billie1b wrote: »
    Dont believe it if you don't want, I wont lose sleep over it but I know it happened and my sister knows it happened as she was left standing in the pissings of rain while waiting on a lift. As I said the car was given back to her an hour later with a sorry and no cost attached.
    if it's true, I'd make a complaint to GSOC. My niece had her car taken over an out of date NCT (incidentally in the same area). So, it wouldn't surprise me.

Taking someone's car and leaving them at the side of the road is shockingly heavy-handed and only should be contemplated if the alternative penalties - fines, points etc are not appropriate imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

There is actually a small industry in Ireland in 200-400 Euro cars, it's like a disposable car, so if you drive into a checkpoint or get pulled over, the car is taken off you, apart from a court visit or whatever (which is uncommon enough it would seem!), then that is the sum of your loss!

I know one guy who is engaged a bit in this end of things, obviously not to be condoned but just mentioning that it is going on out there!

• Advertisement

There is actually a small industry in Ireland in 200-400 Euro cars, it's like a disposable car, so if you drive into a checkpoint or get pulled over, the car is taken off you, apart from a court visit or whatever (which is uncommon enough it would seem!), then that is the sum of your loss!

I know one guy who is engaged a bit in this end of things, obviously not to be condoned but just mentioning that it is going on out there!

so there is a guy selling cars for 200 euro and if the cops take it off you, thats it, you just let them keep it? presumably the driver is insured? obviously no nct or tax? i wouldnt condone that sort of thing but if it is a case where people need to get to work and cant afford anything else....however the main point being that leaving someone at the side of the road is very dangerous and heavy handed, surely the guards are there to protect people? in my opinion a non taxed car is less of a danger than leaving someone on the side of the road in the dark, its just not on, i mean what if someone had a very genuine reason for not having car tax displayed and the guards seized the car and they were left stranded and felt unsafe and had a near miss maybe, surely there would be a case there for the garda ombudsman??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

plodder wrote: »
    if it's true, I'd make a complaint to GSOC. My niece had her car taken over an out of date NCT (incidentally in the same area). So, it wouldn't surprise me.

Here's a novel idea, instead of wasting GSOCs time take responsibility for your own car and make sure it's roadworthy.

Lmklad wrote: »
    Here's a novel idea, instead of wasting GSOCs time take responsibility for your own car and make sure it's roadworthy.
    It'll hardly waste that much of their time.

Either they are allowed to seize someone's car because the NCT is out of date a few weeks (when it takes over two months to get a test), or if a fog-light is stuck on .... or it isn't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It'll hardly waste that much of their time.

Either they are allowed to seize someone's car because the NCT is out of date a few weeks (when it takes over two months to get a test), or if a fog-light is stuck on .... or it isn't allowed.

A car can be seized if the NCT is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭greasepalm

wonder if garda cars carry a roll of duck tape,easy fix stick over fog lamp until repaired and would let car be safe in the meantime,cant expect them to remove bulbs!

• Advertisement

A car can be seized if the NCT is out.

Not according to the faq on garda.ie though I'd accept its hardly an authoritative reference for law.

Not according to the faq on garda.ie though I'd accept its hardly an authoritative reference for law.

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=14#FAQ1719
    My NCT has expired. Can I drive on the roads?

Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994 as amended by Section 19 Road Traffic Act 2006 – a member of An Garda Síochána may seize a vehicle being used in a public place without proof of passing a road worthiness test in accordance with Council Directive 96/96/EC (O.J. No. L46 17.02.97, P1) of the 20th December 1996 which for the time being in force in respect of the vehicle.

Ah fair enough. I googled it and landed on a different answer which listed some criteria but not that one.

So its legal, but it shouldn't be in my opinion unless the vehicle is obviously a serious danger. Penalty points and a fine are more appropriate and less heavy handed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah fair enough. I googled it and landed on a different answer which listed some criteria but not that one.

So its legal, but it shouldn't be in my opinion unless the vehicle is obviously a serious danger. Penalty points and a fine are more appropriate and less heavy handed

It's so heavy handed as how could a driver be expected to know when they need to NCT a vehicle, it's not as if it was written on a piece of paper they need to pass each time they drive. Failure to make a booking early enough or to try to find a cancellation is hardly an excuse.

I guess we could apply the same reasoning to a wider range of driving offenses. Breaking red lights for instance. That's dangerous. Why not seize the vehicle in that case too? You'd think twice before doing it again.

• Advertisement

I guess we could apply the same reasoning to a wider range of driving offenses. Breaking red lights for instance. That's dangerous. Why not seize the vehicle in that case too? You'd think twice before doing it again.

Because it's a single offence that ends. Driving without NCT or insurance is continuous. You can be sure if you drive through every red light you will have to deal with more than your car being seized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

But you don't know months in advance that you're going to break a red light...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Except that isn't a specified penalty for breaking a red light. I expect that the much vaunted Garda "discretion" is applied in most cases and an absence of an NCT doesn't lead to a seizure. I'd find it hard to challenge it if my only defence was I didn't know.

donvito99 wrote: »
    But you don't know months in advance that you're going to break a red light...

I don't see the relevance frankly. Even still as I said the nct system is farcical that you have to wait two months for a test and then it might fail need some work etc. Their website doesn't make it clear that cancellations are possible.

Again also the issue is the appropriateness of seizure not whether it should be an offence at all

Because it's a single offence that ends. Driving without NCT or insurance is continuous. You can be sure if you drive through every red light you will have to deal with more than your car being seized.
    Again the continuous nature of the offence might be an aggravating factor if you could get an nct in the morning. But you cant

Again the continuous nature of the offence might be an aggravating factor if you could get an nct in the morning. But you cant

If you have a NCT booking confirmation they won't seize your car unless there's some extenuating circumstance such as an evident fault or an issue with the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I see where the gardai are seizing cars on the side of the road for no tax etc, do they just leave you to walk or whats the situation? what if you had an accident because of this, e.g. they seize your car on the side of the road and its dark and you have to walk on the road with no reflective gear, surely this is a danger?

Just pay your Tax like everbofy else.

But people never tax their car so they never get to pay the back tax.
    If people can afford petrol they can afford TAX

Taking someone's car and leaving them at the side of the road is shockingly heavy-handed and only should be contemplated if the alternative penalties - fines, points etc are not appropriate imho.
    No NCT is quite a series offence, rather than getting upset at her being punished how about getting upset at her for not having a NCT .

ted1 wrote: »
    No NCT is quite a series offence, rather than getting upset at her being punished how about getting upset at her for not having a NCT .
    rather than getting upset at my post, why don't you read it again. :)
    If you have a NCT booking confirmation they won't seize your car unless there's some extenuating circumstance such as an evident fault or an issue with the driver.
    That's fair enough. I think they should be made publish policies like that, as it's the state's fault that the NCT system is so crap. Might force them to do something about it.

• Advertisement

rather than getting upset at my post, why don't you read it again. :)

That's fair enough. I think they should be made publish policies like that, as it's the state's fault that the NCT system is so crap. Might force them to do something about it.

They can't. Discretion is a dirty word these days. It tends to be equated to corruption by vocal people and the media.

They can't. Discretion is a dirty word these days. It tends to be equated to corruption by vocal people and the media.
    I don't see why. It would be seen as reducing discretion and increasing certainty for people who find themselves in this situation.

Ireland like most states can't afford to abolish discretion for minor offences. It's an integral part of the justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

FYI, you can book an nct test up to 3 months in advance of when it is due, ahead of time and the new date will be taken from the original expiry, ie you won't lose any of the extra 3months

it all comes down to money at the end of the day, very little to do with road safety, more to do with revenue collecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

It just has to be in connection with the job.
    and how is a hitchhiker in connection with the job

Yorker wrote: »
    and how is a hitchhiker in connection with the job

Depends on where he is hitchhiking I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

You are not allowed walk on a motorway, yet they'll a car off you? Lovely.

Rightwing wrote: »
    You are not allowed walk on a motorway, yet they'll a car off you? Lovely.

And give you a lift off the motorway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement