Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College laptop(help badly needed)

• 24-08-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Heading back to college in September and I am looking to purchase a new laptop as my old Toshiba has given up.

I would need it mostly for assignments, mainly using microsoft word. I would also like it to be able to run photoshop and I would be using it for streaming movies etc.

My budget is around the 600 mark. Really no idea where to start sop any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

qwertyups wrote: »
    Really no idea where to start sop any help is greatly appreciated.
    A few things to consider:
    • What size screen do you need?
    • Will you need it to be portable, say carrying it around all day?
    • Will you be able to recharge it during the day or do you need long battery life?
    • Do you need to factor in the cost of Microsoft Word into the budget? Or would you use OpenOffice?
    • Are you careless with laptops? Will you need a good warranty or sturdy build?
    • Do you need to be able to use if offline or would a Chromebook be ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭qwertyups

I would like the screen to be 15 inch or 17, ideally for watching movies and browsing. The battery is not a problem as I would be able to charge it at home or in college. Im very careful with equipment like this so that would also not be a problem.

Is there any specific brand I should be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Kavrocks wrote: »
    A few things to consider:
    • Do you need to be able to use if offline or would a Chromebook be ideal?

Chromebooks are ruled out with his need for Photoshop.

Without too much info, this kind of laptop would be good for the value/specs/requirements.

Just under €500 delivered.

Haswell i5,
    6GB Ram (useful if you will be running word, chrome and photoshop at once, which you will more than likely be)
    750GB HD (more than enough)
    All the standards, HDMI, USB 3.0.
    Looks are standard, but shouldn't be a problem if its just for college.

If you know something about computers(not much knowledge needed really with online guides/youtube),
    you could buy this for the >€500, buy an SSD on Amazon/Anywhere Online, remove the 750GB HD, swap in the SSD, and you will have a very fast machine.(SSD are a huge boost in performance, boot up, program start up, file copying etc.)
    You will get a 240GB for around €90.

Advertisement