Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night rate electricity

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what type of heating do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Electric.

i'd be surprised if you don't have dual tariff or separate nsh meter

usually dual-tariff (nightsaver)

Where would I find one to check?
    I checked out electricity meter and we only have one, for the day rates.
    I took a pick too so I'll upload it now...

you'd know from your bill anyway-if you get a bill

assuming you have electric storage heating -you'd normally have one or the other

• Advertisement

Our heating isn't storage.
    We don't need to use our heating because the heat from all the flats below us heats our place quite nicely.

Will keep an eye out for the bill so, what in particular should I be looking at on the bill?

you prob don't need off-peak then

I would still like to have it for dishwasher, washing machine etc...

it's usually not worth it without an off peak load

like electric aga,water heating ,storage,geothermal heat pump etc

Off peak load of what?

I think that the washing appliances and electric emersion alone are enough to warrant one.

• Advertisement

whatever

do the math

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Is it really worthwhile turning to nightrate if you have an icebank tank milk cooler ?

Depends. I would say that if you use your dishwasher, washing machine, immersion etc... during the night and spend most of your day in work then yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Off peak load of what?

I think that the washing appliances and electric emersion alone are enough to warrant one.

Night use of washing appliances are encouraged in apartments. Most people don't use the imersion at night.

As advised above do the mathd, without storage heaters there not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Off peak load of what?

Night use of washing appliances is not encouraged in apartments. Most people don't use the imersion at night.

As advised above do the mathd, without storage heaters there not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I'm working from home a lot these days and the bill is definitely starting to creep up. We have the night meter, and I try to use it as much as possible, but as well as working from home we have a 2 small kids and there are frequent emergency uses of the washing machine in the daytime.
    Worth switching to standard rates? With Airtricity

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

Hi.
    Use http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/ to find the best options for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

the corpo wrote: »
    I'm working from home a lot these days and the bill is definitely starting to creep up. We have the night meter, and I try to use it as much as possible, but as well as working from home we have a 2 small kids and there are frequent emergency uses of the washing machine in the daytime.
    There is a charge I think for change back from night saver to standard rate meter, €200 or €100. Check esb website

the corpo wrote: »

I definitely think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

thanks folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 RGSG19

Lads,
    While you all debate that possible savings on this post, ur missus has already spent it on a pair or two of new shoes or WILL do at some point in the year!

Smart metering is comming, your grandkids house might see the benefits! some day we will have simple power & cellular bills. (no more estimates etc)

we (4.5people-bungalow) use night/day and happy with the €240average bimonthly bill(heating inc). we set the washers/dryer to be finish in the morning just inside the rate, our heat pump supplier assisted me adjust settings to maximise night use, but also told me that Electric Ireland do not take acount of the hour change and to set the clock to wintertime. If anyone has heard similar pls let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

RGSG19 wrote: »
    Lads,
    While you all debate that possible savings on this post, ur missus has already spent it on a pair or two of new shoes or WILL do at some point in the year!

Smart metering is comming, your grandkids house might see the benefits! some day we will have simple power & cellular bills. (no more estimates etc)

we (4.5people-bungalow) use night/day and happy with the €240average bimonthly bill(heating inc). we set the washers/dryer to be finish in the morning just inside the rate, our heat pump supplier assisted me adjust settings to maximise night use, but also told me that Electric Ireland do not take acount of the hour change and to set the clock to wintertime. If anyone has heard similar pls let me know.

The timeclocks are set to wintertime by esb networks. Digital meters have it programmed into them and older analogue dual tarriff meters are controlled by a seperate timeclock that is programmed. Theres nothing any supplier can do to change these times. If the timeclocks were to be changed every time the clocks went forward or back then someone from esb networks would have to go out and physically do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RGSG19

thanks Sparco

Advertisement