Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France

Options
  • 17-09-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

EDDIE IN CHANGES SHOCK

The team to play France sees Reddan in for Stringer, Trimble for Hickie, Flannery for Best.

NO other changes but Gavin Duffy now on the bench instead of Murphy (that ones seriously puzzling)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6998582.stm

Ireland: Dempsey; Horgan, O'Driscoll, capt, D'Arcy, Trimble; O'Gara, Reddan; Horan, Flannery, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Easterby, D Wallace, Leamy.
    Replacements: Sheahan, S Best, O'Kelly, N Best, Boss, P Wallace, Duffy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He should have brought in Quinlan too for Easterby. As you say Murphy not even making the bench is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well, this is what people wanted.

It's a big gamble as to whether or not the players are match fit (but then again, those who were dropped were hardly at the peak of their performance either)

It'll be a very nervous few days ahead.

I still think the french are beatable, but we absolutely have to come out of the blocks on fire and score an early try. The French are vulnerable on the back foot and they have been making a lot of unforced handling errors recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

My first impression was - Boss should have started - but now thinking about it; he is a great impact sub..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Glad to see some changes, but the back row...pfft. He just won't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Its good to see a few changes to the side but leaving out Murphy completely is perhaps the daftest thing I have ever heard. Redden will get his chance to shine now, hopefull he can pull it off. Very inexperienced for Ireland though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well a couple of other thoughts: first, the idea of Duffy being on the bench presumably means that D'Arcy's position in the side is not safe but Dempsey's is. Going on current form not an outlandish decision, also maybe Eddie doesn't like the beardy thing Geordean has going on at the moment.

second, Easterby is the only other change I would have made. He has done nothing over the last couple of games don't know how he is still in now that Eddie has begun flailing the axe around the place. Presumably because of the lineout, but then why not Quinlan in?

third, Glad to see that it is Reddan rather than Boss getting the nod. I have supported Stringer here lately. Mainly because I don't like Boss and I personnaly haven't seen enough of Reddan to make up my mind. Also I presume Steady Eddie would never take a gamble on Reddan. Obviously I was wrong but after Stringer giving his worst performance ever in a Irish shirt something had to give

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im stunned, but very happy 3 great, and much needed changes. I feel better now.

I have said for a couple of years that we had better options than Stringer. Readen has been brilliant for Wasps since he went over there, and this is his big chance..

Hickey has been rubbish, and does not deserve to be on the pitch, or the bench. Trimble brings genuine pace, which we need, going forward and backwards [pace like Hickey had 5+ years ago]

I must say Duffy in for Murphy on the bench is a bit strange. I suppose the logic behind Duffy on the bench is that he has played Center, Wing and Full Back at the top level of club rugby, while Murphy is really a 15, who has played on the wing when he has had to for Ireland. But I suppose you have to assume that Duffy has looked good in training, and Murphy has not..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If he had kept with the 15 (+/- 1 or 2) that started against Namibia and Georgia, I would have been majorly pissed had we lost.

Now at least he is trying something different, so if we lose you can say he tried.

But again, he's giving himself a ready made excuse for loss - 'We gambled, these guys weren't match fit' etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wow he actually made some changes! I though we were just going to get another line about how changes are not whats needed, just a better performance from the guys etc. Feeling a bit more optimistic about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Big call for Reddan. He could be hero or zero by the time the first 40mins are over. One thing is for sure, better than starting Stringer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

kevmy wrote:
    haven't seen enough of Reddan to make up my mind. Also I presume Steady Eddie would never take a gamble on Reddan.

If he does a few of these I wont complain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncucKT33Qo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I hardly see it as much of a risk. It would be a risk not to make drastic changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

fanatastic to see reddan in,shocking to see murphy out altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hmmm... Is this not evidence of Ireland grasping at straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

jameshayes wrote:
    My first impression was - Boss should have started - but now thinking about it; he is a great impact sub..
    Yeah, a great impact sub that almost cost us the game on Saturday with shocking kicks and poor passing. The guy's a solid runner when he's on but the rest of his game isn't good enough.

Reddan is the right man IMO. I'd have gone for Murphy over Trimble and Quinlan should have been in too.

Advertisement