Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

syklops wrote: »
    Of the first 4 seasons, season 3 is a bit meh. Season 4 really raises the bar and is the best season IMO. Push on to Season 4, watch Season 4, and give up then.

I'd agree about S3 but I wouldn't miss 7. Some episodes are the best in the series IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Maybe Im missing something here, but I may have to do another runthrough, because I dont remember any season being bad. The first four are really really amazing but I didnt think the later seasons were bad. I certainly would not give up after 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

SarahBM wrote: »
    Maybe Im missing something here, but I may have to do another runthrough, because I dont remember any season being bad. The first four are really really amazing but I didnt think the later seasons
    were bad. I certainly would not give up after 4 .

Season 5 is really dull in my opinion. The show lost its way after Sorkin, and they reflected that in the writing by having the Administration lose its way after the kidnapping.

Highlights for me are Shutdown, The Supremes and Access but apart from that it's a fairly meh season

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

So I had a sick day and spent the day couch hugging, I've heard of west wing but never seen it

I'm ten eps in and I love it, but I have to be honest I have been a bit lost a few times and it takes me a while to know what's happening, but it doesn't faze me

Sheen is brilliant and Mr Lowe I could look at all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just started rewatching this last week, already on season 3, great show, so easy to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I've been watching this fairly steadily over the last few weeks (first time through it) and I'm about halfway through season 3 now..

But to be honest I'm really in 2 minds about whether to keep watching... aside from the "crisis of the week" very little really seems to happen. It's good.. but I'm not sure it's worth the investment of any more time.

I know it's from an era when season-long arcs hadn't yet become the norm for shows like this, but seriously.. is this how it is for the remaining seasons or does it pick up??

If you're not completely in love with it by now just give up.

TBH I've seen the entire series about 4 times and will watch it again next year, absolutely fantastic show and never gets old for me despite countless repeat viewings.

First 4 seasons are it's best so if you don't like it by now doubt you will change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Season 5 is really dull in my opinion. The show lost its way after Sorkin, and they reflected that in the writing by having the Administration lose its way after the kidnapping.

Highlights for me are Shutdown, The Supremes and Access but apart from that it's a fairly meh season

Season 5 is a bit dull, but the episode Shutdown is fantastic. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. You need to watch the episode before it for context though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jeni wrote: »
    but I have to be honest I have been a bit lost a few times and it takes me a while to know what's happening, but it doesn't faze me

I have easily watched the entire season 30 times and I even feel a bit lost by it at times. HMO appreciations :confused:

Sometimes Toby says things and I hear the words but they dont make a lot of sense. Also it moves very fast.

syklops wrote: »
    I have easily watched the entire season 30 times and I even feel a bit lost by it at times. HMO appreciations :confused:

Sometimes Toby says things and I hear the words but they dont make a lot of sense. Also it moves very fast.

It does move fast - I usually have the captions on for subsequent viewings just so I can get that last little gem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

& I am back on Season#1 for the umpteenth time. Gotta say that one aspect I'm liking with this seasonal disc is the non-existence of music at end of each 4episodes, especially when watching at night.

When watching newer episodes at night and I fall asleep, the repetitive intro music has me wake up; re-focus; and press stop. Seasonal#1 right now and peace at end of each 4 episodes.

Truly is the small things,
    Happy Days,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

I have lent my friend season one box set so I cant start a run through. :(

but it is on sky go on demand at the moment :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Empire have a good guide up. Worth a read as you get a sense of the cast did/did not like. Obviously spoilers if you're new the show.

http://www.empireonline.com/westwing/part1.asp

Empire have a good guide up. Worth a read as you get a sense of the cast did/did not like. Obviously spoilers if you're new the show.

http://www.empireonline.com/westwing/part1.asp

Thanks Black Oil. That's a good read.

Lot of good stuff about who might have been cast instead: CCH Pounder, Eugene Levy (the two I got so far). And I'm off imagining the show that might have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Season 5 has Ryan Pierce, therefore it's the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm a complete Wingnut, so thought House of Cards....Washington...Politics...I'll love it! Watched five episodes and gave up. Couldn't stand it after the West Wing.

neemish wrote: »
    I'm a complete Wingnut, so thought House of Cards....Washington...Politics...I'll love it! Watched five episodes and gave up. Couldn't stand it after the West Wing.

Same, I tried my best with it but have up after seven episodes.

Dammit I really need to watch the West Wing again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

kerry4sam wrote: »

I'm just going to have to watch that episode now, I don't care what time it is!

Heading nicely into Season#7 this evening...This speech was quite the ending to Season#6 though,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Have just finished watching the west wing again. Still love it and will probably take it out again next year. Best series ever.

TOMORROW

Oh God, Thy Sea is So Great and My Boat So Small : JFK

/repeats again sometime soon,
    kerry4sam

Just finished S3 Ep 12 (100,00 Airplanes).

That's the one where Sam and Toby are trying to write the State of the Union, Bartlet has just accepted the censure and comes up with the idea of curing cancer within 10 years. I've seen that episode several (it would be embarrassing to say) and the punchline of this show absolutely knocks me every time :o

Oh and meanwhile Josh is trying to get off with Amy Gardiner - never really understood why. Maybe I just don't see what others do :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I started re-watching from the start at the weekend. Hopefully I'll be finished by xmas. This will be about the fifth time but so far it's still just as good as the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

recorded The American President the other night - watching it now - I love catching the dialogue that Sorkin 'recycled'! pretty sure there's a decent drinking game in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

cjmcork wrote: »
    recorded The American President the other night - watching it now - I love catching the dialogue that Sorkin 'recycled'! pretty sure there's a decent drinking game in it!

Sorry don't know how to embed videos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI&index=90&list=FLUUCzKRSuEnus9R-MUF76wQ

cjmcork wrote: »

Did you record it on rte? I saw someone I Twitter complaining that rte cut out a bit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

SarahBM wrote: »
    Did you record it on rte? I saw someone I Twitter complaining that rte cut out a bit of it.

Hi Sarah - what part was cut out, do you know?

• Advertisement

Sheela wrote: »
    Hi Sarah - what part was cut out, do you know?

They didn't say. I should have watched it. Its about the only film I actually like Michael Douglas in!

Advertisement