Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people still iron in bulk?

• 30-10-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I remember my mother (and friends mothers) having a single day when they'd pile up the ironing in the sitting room, set up the iron and board and spend hours ironing all the week's washing. Do people still do this? I'm in the 'roll out of bed and iron as I need' camp myself as are most people I know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

once a week myself..................usually mid week evening when there is a football match on. win win for all i get to see my match and mrs delighted the ironing is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I dont Iron, In bulk or one by one. Ironing is not a good use of my precious time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

kooga wrote: »
    once a week myself..................usually mid week evening when there is a football match on. win win for all i get to see my match and mrs delighted the ironing is done.

Until your team concedes a goal and the iron goes through the tv :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sunday afternoons if there's a game on, usually the shirts and trousers for work plus a few t shirts I've worn over the weekend, no more than 30 minutes.
    Find it quite relaxing actually, except for one shirt I keep telling myself to throw out as its a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I dont Iron, In bulk or one by one. Ironing is not a good use of my precious time...

Ditto. Can't be dealing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

People still iron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

For some reason, I've got 2 irons but have only ironed about 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years. Waste of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Don't do ironing in bulk tend to iron to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Don't iron. A quick spin in the dryer means trousers and shirts are nicely wrinkle free anyway. Odd formal shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My body is my ironing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I iron when I have a job interview. Even then, I only iron the collar and buttons area. No point doing the rest.

Ironing in bulk for me constitutes making a large pile of clothes and hoping the weight of those on top - flatten out nicely the clothes on the bottom. And for the most part - it works.

I am aware we own an Iron - but I would not stake my life on being able to find it quickly if asked to do so.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My suit said "wrinkle free" on the wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭magicmoves

Crack open a beer on a Saturday, watch the football and do some Ironing. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I only iron for weddings or other formal occasions. I dont see the point in ironing anything else. Most clothes I have loose 90% of the wrinkles as soon as you wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Only thing I use the iron for is the curtains. Everything else just au naturel.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I don't even own an iron. I mostly wear jeans and tshirts so there's just no point.
    I think I've only used an iron once or twice in the last 2-3 years to hem curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Ironing? Hahahahahaha…..funny stuff!

Not so funny when my MIL asks where the iron is and it's obvious I haven't got a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Only thing I use the iron for is the curtains. Everything else just au naturel.
    Mind you dont fall out the window doing that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Just get the cleaner to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yep, sunday is my ironing day. Nice fresh clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I have never ironed in over 20 years. Makes no difference for me except I save time to waste on other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

haven't ironed in 5 years

never buy cotton shirts. easy care shirts out of machine straight onto hangers.

everything else dries on the indoors line in utility room.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I don't wear suits for work so I make sure to buy tops which dry wrinkle free.
    Only iron if I had to go to a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'll do 4 or 5 shirts and maybe 2 or 3 trousers in a session. It's brutally tedious but there is a certain 'tune-out' therapy to it and I feel satisfied when they are done and hanging wrinkle-free in the wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some reason I thought this thread was going to be about weight lifting.

Shirts have to be ironed so I bring them to the cleaners to get them ironed. I don't iron other stuff, my mother sometimes insists on ironing my polo shirts and t-shirts etc but thats her decision and I've told her not to bother many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Taught to iron in d'Army.
    As long as I live I'll never forget the unbalanced mad cnut who taught me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Taught to iron in d'Army.
    As long as I live I'll never forget the unbalanced mad cnut who taught me.

Bet your shirts are pristine,though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Most clothes I have loose 90% of the wrinkles as soon as you wear them.

Most of the clothes I've ironed are 90% creased by the time I've got to wherever I'm going that sounded like it needed ironed clothes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I always make sure my clothes are well pressed.

There is nothing worse than looking at some gobdaw at work with a crinkled shirt and slobby appearance. It annoys me how it seems to have become the norm for people in the service industry to not bother ironing their clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There's no incentive for people to maintain standards, really, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I leave my clothes at the Dry Cleaners to be ironed in bulk if that counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah I hate ironing, with a passion. Hate hate hate hate. So, usually on Sundays I iron the bare minimum, mostly just his clothes, but I do it altogether and have it done and then at least I don't have to lose the will to live anymore than once a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Don't iron. A quick spin in the dryer means trousers and shirts are nicely wrinkle free anyway.

Amazing, people's capacity for self delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Most of my clothes don't need to be ironed. I iron a pile of my husbands t-shirts every two weeks or so. He irons one work shirt every night for the next day. I don't understand that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Amazing, people's capacity for self delusion.

All my clothes come out lovely and wrinkle free after a spin in the dryer. Maybe you just have a crap one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would turn on a movie and sit there doing all the ironing in one go once every 2 weeks or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

o1s1n wrote: »
    All my clothes come out lovely and wrinkle free after a spin in the dryer. Maybe you just have a crap one?

If by clothes you mean polyester tracksuits, then yes you are right and the other lad is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I do it for me mammy the odd time. Used to wreck my ****ing head as a teenager when she'd lob me a pile of ironing including vests, pillowcases, jeans etc. But somewhere along the way for some reason I started finding ironing a bit relaxing! Never bother with it for myself though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

wow, amazed at the amount of non ironers on here.

Nothing better than climbing into a bed with perfectly ironed sheets and duvet cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The only time a man should be holding an iron is on a golf course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I HATE ironing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Would love one of those magic spin dryers.

I iron my shirts the night before. Hate it, but would hate the consequences of not doing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

wow, amazed at the amount of non ironers on here.

Nothing better than climbing into a bed with perfectly ironed sheets and duvet cover.

Oh God, I'd never iron sheets and duvet covers myself. They go to the cleaners to be ironed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I Binge Iron once a week. Normally to coincide with the Football. So when she starts giving out for wasting my day in front of the TV I start waving the Iron at her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just buy a new shirt if it gets wrinkled, toss the other one away.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

"I've always wondered what it would be like to wear an ironed shirt..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

-

• Advertisement
Advertisement