Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to Rancheros?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

hoodwinked wrote: »
    still have one of the old roses tin's,

penguins have gotten remarkably small. used to love the chocolate cream inside them too but now they have ruined that,

luckily (or unluckily depends on your outlook at sweets) for me, my aunt is over and back from the states often enough so she gets me nerds/tic tac's/sour jellies from over there that still taste delicious and full of e's,

also american chocolate tastes horrible, i had heard great things about Hersey's kisses, and i swear chocolate gems circa 1999 taste better!

I imagine dehydrated astronaut chocolate to taste like chocolate gems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

FGR wrote: »
    Saw Wheelies being sold under the Walkers brand as a limited edition a few months ago. Tasted good as ever but haven't seen them since.

Anyone remember Tayto Gaters? Bacon flavoured alligator shaped crisps. Fantastic!

Also - Anywhere you can buy a multipack of Banshee Bones?

/wants to buy 100+

that's interesting, I had thought that Wheelies were just done by Tayto - you get them in the Bumper Bundle multipacks with Snax and Chickatees.

http://www.taytocrisps.ie/about-tayto/product-range/snacks/tayto-snacks/tayto-wheelies/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

fussyonion wrote: »
    I remember when Burger Bites had this reddish hue to them...all the burger flavour was in that.
    Now they're bland puffs of nothingness.

Also, remember when Pringles Sour Cream and Onion had this white powder coating on them with specks of green?
    That's when they were delicious.

Thank you!! ha Been saying this to everyone for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Returning to the original post for a sec. I'd like to know what i'm eating and the ingredients shown on the side of the Rancheros packet is sparse to say the least. I sent Roberts ( the crowd that make them) an email asking what kind of Oil they were fried in. Got no reply! There are good fats and bad fats.

At least with the likes of Walkers there is a bit of transparency but Irish confectionery manufacturers are not telling us what the ingredients they are using ! Shame on them ! Typical cute arse Paddies! :mad: rant over!

Anyone know where mini chips can be bought.

Thanks

The shop in the middle of O'Connnell Street on the corner, opposite the Burger King, near the 46a and 140 bus stop - on the Clery's side of O'Connell St - sell Mini Chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

God the things I would do for a pack of those crunchy nik nak type crisos kp did in the small red packs :(

Nik naks and wheat crunchers are not too bad now tho.

im convinced they did something to fanta about ten years ago too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

Monster Munch are pure s***e now as well.

Bit of a Monster [they will never be mighty] Munch aficiando myself.

I have extensive anecdotal evidence that freshness plays a huge part in how spicey they are.

I always check the best before date on a 6-pack or single pack. Get the freshest ones you can and sometimes they are dark orange coming out of the bag, they way I used to remember 'em.

It seems to me the spiceyness 'evaporates' very quickly over time.

It must have an extremely short half-life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

I miss Fives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Noblong wrote: »
    Aldi (or maybe lidl) do 6 packs of Onion rings, they do be from different suppliers and some do definatly be from Tayto with the taste of Johnnys off them.

Freudian slip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Anyone remember the name of the crisps in the pink and blue bag? Possibly prawn cocktail flavoured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Anyone remember the name of the crisps in the pink and blue bag? Posshttps://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/687584/326772.jpg

Crunchies.jpg

I remember when Burger Bites had this reddish hue to them...all the burger flavour was in that.
    Now they're bland puffs of nothingness.

Also, remember when Pringles Sour Cream and Onion had this white powder coating on them with specks of green?
    That's when they were delicious.

Spot on with the Burger Bites, have a hankering for them now. Pringles, while not exacly of the same era, have gone to ****. Bought a box last year and was disgusted.

Barry McGuigan crisps - sausage and bean flavour!:D

:pac: what?

bmm wrote: »
    Returning to the original post for a sec. I'd like to know what i'm eating and the ingredients shown on the side of the Rancheros packet is sparse to say the least. I sent Roberts ( the crowd that make them) an email asking what kind of Oil they were fried in. Got no reply! There are good fats and bad fats.

At least with the likes of Walkers there is a bit of transparency but Irish confectionery manufacturers are not telling us what the ingredients they are using ! Shame on them ! Typical cute arse Paddies! :mad: rant over!

Get the **** out of here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

When I was little, I was obsessed with Smiths brand bacon fries.
    No other brand tastes as nice as them IMO. Had a pack the last time I was in my local and they still taste as good.
    Only thing is: the packets are half-full these days. :(

I"m in the states and this thread has depressed the feck out of me.

Although there always is http://www.foodireland.com

Tayto Share Bag 50g (1.8oz) 10 Pack -
    Tayto Salt & Vinegar 37g (1.3oz) 12 Pack
    KP Rancheros 20g (0.7oz) 10 Pack
    KP Hula Hoops Salt & Vineger 34g (1.2oz) 12 Pack
    Burtons Digestives 400g (14.1oz)
    Cadbury's Chocolate Rich Tea 300g (10.6oz)
    Viscount Mint 7pk 98g (3.5oz)

Shipping: UPS Ground: $11.51
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Total: $90.61

Bah.

pedro1234 wrote: »
    I"m in the states and this thread has depressed the feck out of me.

Although there always is http://www.foodireland.com

Bah.

Haha, that website looks painfully ****! Donnely's - what? :pac:

At least you can enjoy all the American sweets, though we have most of them now.

Still... Fruit Roll-Ups, Hostess Cakes and, coming up to Halloween - candie corn! Love candie corn.

Also, although their meat has god knows what done to it, it's nice. Good burgers.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Haha, that website looks painfully ****! Donnely's - what? :pac:

At least you can enjoy all the American sweets, though we have most of them now.

Still... Fruit Roll-Ups, Hostess Cakes and, coming up to Halloween - candie corn! Love candie corn.

Also, although their meat has god knows what done to it, it's nice. Good burgers.

The yank sweets are crap man! Can't stand them at all.

I spent 90 bucks on some stuff there - edited the post.

Had to be done. STARVIN MARVIN.

$90. :pac:

Viscount though, good call.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Thank you!! ha Been saying this to everyone for years.

*Sniffles*

I miss the old days!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    :pac: what?

Indeed, they were available around 1985 or 1986, others have reminisced about them on boards.ie, over the years!:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76869029

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53894592

http://balls.ie/boxing/barry-mcguigan-crisps/

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/20944-Barry-McGuigan-Crisps

Barry McGuigan, around that time, was also endorsing Monaghan Milk and as far as I remember know, he was part of an An Bord Bia promotional campaign.:)

Interestingly, Jack Charlton endorsed Monaghan Milk in the early 1990s.

http://www.tmc.ie/home/our-history

Stephen Roche had an endorsement campaign with Galtee cheese after the 1987 Tour de France.

Apologies for going off topic:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Are Wheelies still on the go?

yep, only ever see them in the multi packs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I have a bad feeling that my beloved Thai Rings could get changed :( The value you get from one bag is very good

Anyone know where mini chips can be bought.

Thanks

2 places I know always has them are both in city centre - 1 is Spar on O Connell street, just on across from the Dublin Bus head office, just beside Burger king, & the other place is on Talbot Street, down near Connolly Station, think its also a spar - opposite Super Valu - both those places always seem to have them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

It's cutting costs.

There is a lot more skill in lean manufacturing these days than there was back in the 1980s. They know how much 1g of salt extra will take off the net profit. It is highly technical and you end up with a gradual decline in quality and taste, but only just enough to put the minimum amount of customers off the product.

Health is merely a regulation they must adhere too, it rarely if ever is used to boost sales (and I include health products in this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Bring back Krunchos.

Crunchoes were absolutely savage, hotdog flavoured crunchy goodness at its finest.

Although I wouldn't eat a hotdog for diamonds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tad off topic:
    Can ya still get "Ghosties" anywhere?
    (Not to be confussed "Banshees")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wprathead wrote: »
    Tad off topic:
    Can ya still get "Ghosties" anywhere?
    (Not to be confussed "Banshees")

in a hipster bar... oh wait, that's a goatee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

I miss the original Yorkie.

You know, the old 80's - early 90's 'Rowentree's' Yorkie bar that was somehow built to be the milk-chocolate equivalent of house-bricks. So hard was it, that biting off a segment was simply not an option. You'd nearly have to whack it off the side of a table to get that segment off (and even then you risked damaging the table).

Easter was a rare treat if you got the Yorkie Egg, as you'd get those lovely segment individually wrapped.

Although it was hard to crew, it was lovely to let it slowly melt in your mouth, which could take damn near 10 minutes to do...and the taste was an awesome fusion of cocoa and milk.

Then Nestle came....

It's still chunky chocolate...but it now melts the second you look in it's direction...and the recipe has been changed to a sweeter, sicklier version of the original.

Bleh! I tells you.....BLEH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hunky Dory's, especially the Cheese and Onion, have completely lost their flavour. The crisps are also thinner and horrible to eat. They used to be amazing. I remember you'd get a big bag and the flavour would be laid on so thick. :(

Also, bring back classic perri's pub crisps. amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Bit off topic also but I had a Stinger bar recently for the first time since I was a kid. Didn't even know they made them until I stumbled upon them in a little rural shop. Like most other things they're gone to sh1te. The fizzy pink filling is now white and very scarce and tastes like nothing. Which brings me to Brunches which have barely any crumb on them any more. It's all fcuked shut it all down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Rawr wrote: »
    I miss the original Yorkie.

You know, the old 80's - early 90's 'Rowentree's' Yorkie bar that was somehow built to be the milk-chocolate equivalent of house-bricks. So hard was it, that biting off a segment was simply not an option. You'd nearly have to whack it off the side of a table to get that segment off (and even then you risked damaging the table).

Then Nestle came....

Now they have to try and convince you it's a man's bar, back in the 80's they just had to show a trucker eating it and you knew...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Jonnie onion rings....taste stayed for days...hands couldnt be cleaned for love nor money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jonnie onion rings....taste stayed for days...hands couldnt be cleaned for love nor money!

flavour gone from them as well

Crunchoes were absolutely savage, hotdog flavoured crunchy goodness at its finest.

Although I wouldn't eat a hotdog for diamonds!

Crunchos were top-notch, unfortunately taken off the market for being too hard, and hence a choking hazard.

There was a move to shift them to pubs only a la scampi fries, but it was too late. They were a 10p snack up against scampi/bacon fries and those early 1990s hot nuts.

So they were scrapped.....RIP

Nik Naks in the UK are a close approximation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

So, this thread inspired me to go get some minichips today but unfortunately they were out of stock so I got a packet of Perri's Spicy Rings for the first time in a few years.

They're not as spicy as I recall and they had more of a prawn-cocktail-ish taste to them with a mild taste of spice. Unfortunately there was no mysterious ball of spice at the end of the packet, just rings :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Again I saw the KP Mini Chips in the newsagents in Nutgrove Shopping Centre today. Bags and bags of them.

Jesus, an actual treasure trove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

SameDiff wrote: »
    Crunchos were top-notch, unfortunately taken off the market for being too hard, and hence a choking hazard.

There was a move to shift them to pubs only a la scampi fries, but it was too late. They were a 10p snack up against scampi/bacon fries and those early 1990s hot nuts.

So they were scrapped.....RIP

Nik Naks in the UK are a close approximation.

CRUNCHOS !!! They were the bomb..aka..delish. I wish they were brought back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

Are Wheelies still on the go?

Bought a 10 pack of them in Tesco yesterday for €2

they also have space invaders on offer, 10 pack for €1.26

stocked up for halloween trick or treaters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

Those should be euro signs on my post above... not sure what happened there!

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    CRUNCHOS !!! They were the bomb..aka..delish. I wish they were brought back.

Me too. Like I said, Nik Naks are pretty close, the 'nice and spicy' flavour particularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Wagon Wheels have stood the test of time.

Speaking of time... where did Time Bars ever go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Wheelies are still lovely

Wagon Wheels have stood the test of time.

Speaking of time... where did Time Bars ever go to?

some shops still do time bars, ive seen them in the Topaz on the Kylemore road and I think some of the Mr Simms sweet shops do them aswell

Slightly off-topic here but for those of you who love Space Raiders...Dominic's shop in Tallaght are selling a whole BOX of them for €5.
    They also have BigHoops (HulaHoops) for €5...also Royster's Bubbles...popcorn etc.
    It's a crisp mecca!

Slightly off-topic here but for those of you who love Space Raiders...Dominic's shop in Tallaght are selling a whole BOX of them for €5.
    They also have BigHoops (HulaHoops) for €5...also Royster's Bubbles...popcorn etc.
    It's a crisp mecca!

you will have to battle with the hoards of people queuing up for his legendary Halloween "Bags of Cr@p" :D

sugar junkie heaven in there

you will have to battle with the hoards of people queuing up for his legendary Halloween "Bags of Cr@p" :D

sugar junkie heaven in there

Heh I bought that bag of crap!
    I find it amusing that, on the back of the Tallaght Echo, the ad for Dominic's features: "BAG OF CRAP €5.99".

Heh I bought that bag of crap!
    I find it amusing that, on the back of the Tallaght Echo, the ad for Dominic's features: "BAG OF CRAP €5.99".

The Batman & Robin outfits are the icing on the cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Not so much sweets, but the Coco Pops of the 1980s made a profound impact on my palate. I don't know what was put in them but they were just so good. My theory is that back then they were made with real chocolate and in an effort to cost-cut, like everything, this chocolate was replaced by artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes that bare no resemblance to the choclatey taste, just another form of generic sweetness. Thinking about them actually makes me feel nostalgic!

Advertisement