Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to Rancheros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Tornaxx

Apart from the flavour, I think the texture of rancheros has changed. They nearly seem glazed or something.

When I was younger, I used to love Dell crisps (nothing to do with computers). They possible only came in multipack bags, and I think Tesco (or more likely, Quinnsworth) sold them. The prawn cocktail flavour were the best. There'd always be a scramble to to make sure you got the prawn coctail.
    fedor.2. wrote: »
    How does a penguin build its house?
    Igloos it together
    But igloos are from the north and penguuins from the south polar region!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I found banshee bones on a trip to Longford recently. Hadn't eaten them in years. Definitely not the same. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I never liked Snax :o

Burger bites were a personal favourite of mine. I also liked onion rings. Iirc, there were two variations of them, but I can't remember properly. Anybody care to refresh my memory? Google hasn't helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Are Wheelies still on the go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Just stick to mega meanies. They are different, but it is all good. THe last pack i had must have had a double dose of the flavouring. I never wanted the pack to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Saw Wheelies being sold under the Walkers brand as a limited edition a few months ago. Tasted good as ever but haven't seen them since.

Anyone remember Tayto Gaters? Bacon flavoured alligator shaped crisps. Fantastic!

Also - Anywhere you can buy a multipack of Banshee Bones?

/wants to buy 100+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Kit Kats changed too when they move from the foil bag to the plastic wrapping. Even now when you have the smaller multipack Kit Kat's they're nicer.

Totally agree, the foil and paper wrapping was better.

Aero's have gone to ****e the last couple of years too since they changed them from long rectangular segments to these squarish segments with the edges rounded off. I used to like eating the flat surrounding bits of chocolate first and then devour the aero-ish bit that's left, now there's sod all aero after you've ate all the outside bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Bring back Krunchos.

They were the "hot dog" flavoured crisps in a red bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

They are, got a multipack in tesco last week, 2 quid for a 10 pack.

They're not what they used to be.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Chipsticks taste like vomit now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mini chips are very vinegary now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

CPSW wrote: »
    They were the "hot dog" flavoured crisps in a red bag?

Yep that was them. Sort of like Nik Naks crisps.

Wheelies went bad when they put them into a foil bag rather than clear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Haven't seen hot lips in a few years. Used live on those in my youth playing the mega drive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have not seen them in years

My local sells the blue and brown packs

They have survived, somewhat unscathed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Burger Bites are totaly ruined now & Monster Munch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I liked with Wheelies how one wheelie in each bag always seemed to get damn near all of the flavouring stuff on it and would be heaps redder than the rest. Would save that one to last.

All of those fluffy corn snack type ones taste f*cking rotten to me now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

dodzy wrote: »
    Nope, your hands are the same size.

2008 - Mars bar weighed in at 62.5g. Fast-forward 6 yrs and they have shaved it to a measly 51g. They are saying that the main drive behind this was to have all bars capped at 250calories. Utter BS.

If you want to see a reduction in size though, just check out the Macaroon bars. The feckers have the gall to keep them packaged in what I guess were close to the original sized wrappers. Next time you see one, pick it up and just have a look at the excess wrapping. Its comical.

I cant remember where I heard this I think it was on The Ray D'arcy show, ut I was of the understanding that as Cocoa is a traded global comodity there is a price per Kilo set by the markets - Now this can fluxuate and the price of your mars bar stays the same (for the most part) hence the bars have been getting smaller to keep it profitable for the manufacturers as the price of cocoa goes up.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall hearing this and thinking it made sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

nelly17 wrote: »
    Burger Bites are totaly ruined now & Monster Munch

I'm sorry, but Burger Bites were mank. Tasty now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Noblong wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but in my opinion, Burger Bites were mank. Tasty now.

Ok.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Ok.

*bangs fist on table

It's fine.

*Goes back to reading Atlas Shrugged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Loop da loops on the ice cream side of things. To be back in the days of artificial colours and flavorings :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Anyone missing that old school salt n' vinegar hit, aldi do (or did) a multipack with a blue pack of crisps in it, looked like chipsticks, jaysus they knock the breath outta ya with vinegar, definitely like crisps from the eighties ya have to come up for air halfway through a bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I never liked Snax :o

Burger bites were a personal favourite of mine. I also liked onion rings. Iirc, there were two variations of them, but I can't remember properly. Anybody care to refresh my memory? Google hasn't helped

There's Perri Onion Rings which come in a green packet and the other, much nicer ones, are Johnny Onion Rings with a French dude on the packet.

There's Perri Onion Rings which come in a green packet and the other, much nicer ones, are Johnny Onion Rings with a French dude on the packet.

Aldi (or maybe lidl) do 6 packs of Onion rings, they do be from different suppliers and some do definatly be from Tayto with the taste of Johnnys off them.

I liked with Wheelies how one wheelie in each bag always seemed to get damn near all of the flavouring stuff on it and would be heaps redder than the rest. Would save that one to last.

That happens in a few types of snacks alright, in spicy monster munch packets you'd often get a ball of pure spice and no munch :D

That happens in a few types of snacks alright, in spicy monster munch packets you'd often get a ball of pure spice and no munch :D

I miss that so much! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Wagon Wheels are still savage though..Mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Loop da loops on the ice cream side of things. To be back in the days of artificial colours and flavorings :P
    They've really gone ta f**k! Remember that lovely yellow section covered in choc ? Just the poorer cousin these days:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I think there was usually about a toe's worth of munch in the middle if you looked really hard for it.

Maltesers used to occasionally have these yummy ones where there's be this soft sweet chewy stuff inside the chocolatey coating instead of the biscuity part.

...a lot of my favourite parts of snacks seemed to have been caused by malfunctioning machines rather than by any kind of conscious choice by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Anyone know where mini chips can be bought.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Thanks

The mini chipper

You're welcome.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Boom boom !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I bought a 6-pack of Rancheros at the week-end.

First time in years that I've had them... Maybe it's my memory being a bit weird , but these "new" Rancheros didn't taste anything like I remember..

They just seem to have way less flavour , they've lost their "Ranchero-ness"- With the old Rancheros , you ate them on a Monday then if you belched on a Thursday you'd still taste them !!

I was very disappointed that they've changed so much..just very bland now...

Anyone else notice this , or indeed any other childhood sweets/snacks that are around today that they've "improved" (or ruined!!) since you first tasted them??

They always tasted like shoite.

Thanks

Well if you're in Waterford, the Spar in Barrack St. has them.

@The Strawman Argument - I know what you mean by the gooey maltesers, they should make them as a special edition or something, they're great. The odd time though you'd get a malteser where there was a hole in the chocolate and the stuff inside went hard and stale. Still ate em though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Use to love those bacon fries and the scampi fries you use to get the odd time ya went to the pub with your parents. Tasted the scampi fries lately and they had a less than scampi taste of them :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Many crisps and snacks these days taste much blander than in my childhood. But back then, they were crammed with E numbers and additives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I remember mid 80s used to bring united bars to school and once every blue moon you'd get the full chocolate bar no buiscut inside happy days for a ten yr old!!!
    The holy grail was the club milk with no buiscut
    Nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Jonny onion rings.

Destroyed them so they did.

Anyone remember the hot dog flavoured crisps, think they were called crunchos?

And bikers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Thanks

Sorry im on my phone so I cant see if you have your location on display but they are all over Carlow! I always see them and think "I must try them sometime" but never have! Which is odd for me because im a crisp fiend!
    I think theres a Spar on O Connell Street in Dublin that sells them too.

Anyone remember Ma Reillys Crisps? They came in a red packet and cost 10p. They were gorgeous, like premium cheese and onion crisps youd buy nowadays for 2-3 euros..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

KP Mini Chips are on sale in Costcutter, a lot of petrol stations...I know for a fact the newsagents in Nutgrove Shopping Centre sells them.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Many crisps and snacks these days taste much blander than in my childhood. But back then, they were crammed with E numbers and additives.

And yet these days illnesses like ADHD and Asthma are on the rise, perhaps a few E numbers and additives weren't all that bad after all. Kids in general are mollycoddled too much these day.
    Sorry im on my phone so I cant see if you have your location on display but they are all over Carlow! I always see them and think "I must try them sometime" but never have! Which is odd for me because im a crisp fiend!

Mini-chips are great in a blaa or in between a couple of bits of sliced white pan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Mini-chips are great in a blaa or in between a couple of bits of sliced white pan :D

I wouldnt mind a nice floury blaa now with a couple of rashers thrown in the middle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

How about Tangy bars or Lanky Larries? I ripped a few fillings out eating those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grayson wrote: »
    Skips are still just as nice. Burger bites are healthier because they're baked, but they feel drier.

To answer the OP, I didn't notice much difference with the Rancheros.

I never thought I'd read those words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I remember when Burger Bites had this reddish hue to them...all the burger flavour was in that.
    Now they're bland puffs of nothingness.

Also, remember when Pringles Sour Cream and Onion had this white powder coating on them with specks of green?
    That's when they were delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

How about Tangy bars or Lanky Larries? I ripped a few fillings out eating those.

Used Caffrey's 'Big Time' bar for that, chewy toffee. Great stuff.

http://www.pennyjellies.com/index.php/sweets/chocolate-bars/caffreys-big-time-copy/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I miss Fat Frogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember when people didn't remember junk being tastier when they were young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Monster Munch are pure s***e now as well.

Would you, by any chance, be mistaking Tayto's Mighty Munch for Monster Munch?:)

Walkers Monster Munch have a nice sharp zingy taste to them, whereas Tayto's Mighty Munch are quite spicy also but have less of a crunch and have a kind of bread-y texture to them!:)

I noticed that less of the shops seem to stock the bacon or beef flavour Monster Munch over the pickled onion ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

If I had a time machine I would go back and get all my favorite crisps.

Banshee bones, space raiders, funyuns, meanies and all the other crisps from my childhood which are now baked :(

And Alien Spacers and also Barry McGuigan crisps - sausage and bean flavour!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement