Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High Mileage engine oil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Jeez we used to have I think a 90 galant 1.6 and it burned oil like a steam engine.Dont know what the problem was, but there was work carried out on the engine but it made no difference. We sold her not long after that I think.. Nice car though, very comfortable and not bad looking either. Engines must be s***e though.Anyway, reminiscing:rolleyes: I'd say you have nothing to lose putting a thicker oil in there. Worth a try I say. Your relatives car is a bit newer version though.

6thmitsubishigalant.jpg

87-92

800pxmitsubishigalantbo.jpg

92-98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hah, must be the galant reminiscing club here! Many moons ago the old man had a 1.6 galant, but it was the one before the first one pictured, IE it was this one, but red

bijeli0490989671nf6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Will the heavier oil not take longer to circulate on start up? Thus causing even more wear and oil consumption? You might get away with it in summer but winter might cause problems for your starter and battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

mondeo wrote: »
    First thing I would like to do is try using a thicker engine oil such as 15w40 as opposed to the advised 10w40.
    15W40 is not any thicker than 10W40 in working temperature. It is only thicker during cold start, causing more wear to the engine and it would make no difference to oil consumption. If you want thicker oil, get some 5W50 or 10W60 (Castrol makes that one) or the 15W50 (made by Mobil).

Andrew33 wrote: »
    but winter might cause problems for your starter and battery.

Care to elaborate on this theory ?

• Advertisement

Will the heavier oil not take longer to circulate on start up? Thus causing even more wear and oil consumption? You might get away with it in summer but winter might cause problems for your starter and battery.
    Seweryn wrote: »
    15W40 is not any thicker than 10W40 in working temperature. It is only thicker during cold start, causing more wear to the engine and it would make no difference to oil consumption. If you want thicker oil, get some 5W50 or 10W60 (Castrol makes that one) or the 15W50 (made by Mobil).
    RoverJames wrote: »

Well its a balance using a different grade oil. Too thick will reduce the oil consumption but make it harder for the batt and starter right enough due to increased resistance and will take longer to reach furthest parts. Too thin will increase consumption but get quicker to the parts.5w40/50 will burn more when cold, better when hot.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Hah, must be the galant reminiscing club here! Many moons ago the old man had a 1.6 galant, but it was the one before the first one pictured, IE it was this one, but red

bijeli0490989671nf6.jpg

Your pic is not showing, is this the one?

mitsubishigalantsigma.jpg

or this

1985galant2lturbo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mechanic I know says 15W40 in older cars if they're burning 10W40. Seems to work for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ah.. its the red one!

I think its a bit more than a theory, oil becomes more viscous as the temperature drops, if the oil is heavier and more viscous it will take more to get it circulating (hence the different "weights" of oil). If you used engine oil on a Patek watch, I don't think you'd have a working Patek watch for very long, and in an old car with components possibly marginal in their performance it could place additional strain on these components causing them to fail. Vehicles used in extreme northern climates usually have pre heaters to warm the oil and coolant before start up.

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    Well its a balance using a different grade oil. Too thick will reduce the oil consumption but make it harder for the batt and starter right enough due to increased resistance and will take longer to reach furthest parts. Too thin will increase consumption but get quicker to the parts.5w40/50 will burn more when cold, better when hot.
    I think its a bit more than a theory, oil becomes more viscous as the temperature drops, if the oil is heavier and more viscous it will take more to get it circulating (hence the different "weights" of oil). If you used engine oil on a Patek watch, I don't think you'd have a working Patek watch for very long, and in an old car with components possibly marginal in their performance it could place additional strain on these components causing them to fail. Vehicles used in extreme northern climates usually have pre heaters to warm the oil and coolant before start up.

The likes of 15w40 and 20w50 compared to a 10w40 would not cause increased wear on a starter nor the battery over a span of a few years. They will indeed not provide as much cold start protection as the 10w40. Pre heaters being used in extreme climates has nothing to do with the initial comment that was made about the starter and battery possibly giving trouble in winter months due to a thicker oil being used. There is no engine oil that provides adequate cold start protection. In extreme conditions the engine will turn over much slower with a thicker oil when trying to start, however in conditions that extreme the engine won't start anyway unless a pre heater is in use.

The likes of 15w40 and 20w50 compared to a 10w40 would not cause increased wear on a starter nor the battery over a span of a few years. They will indeed not provide as much cold start protection as the 10w40. Pre heaters being used in extreme climates has nothing to do with the initial comment that was made about the starter and battery possibly giving trouble in winter months due to a thicker oil being used. There is no engine oil that provides adequate cold start protection. In extreme conditions the engine will turn over much slower with a thicker oil when trying to start, however in conditions that extreme the engine won't start anyway unless a pre heater is in use.

It'll be worth the ban, you're a pedantic freak (you should have left your shoulder chip in cork). I probably should have expanded on the battery/starter comment but if you've any "real" knowledge of engines and how oil behaves at very low temperatures you would have understood the bare bones comment re same:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Take a week off Andrew. Absolutely no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The castrol "high mileage" stuff contains some sort of seal conditioners so thats why I asked about that particular oil. Might help expand the seals abit.
    Or is this just a marketing bracket to find out how many people are using older cars?

I thought that with the starter having to work harder due to the thicker oil, that it could wear it out though over time.

Advertisement