Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnonAsimov

I'm starting to stress again. Losing sleep. I'm unfocused at work which makes me paranoid they'll fire me.

I'm alone. I don't make friends easily Because I'm judgemental, quick to criticise and a bit of a downer. I don't know how to change.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Are you seeing a counsellor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So I had my first appointment with a psychiatrist this morning, which I had been quite looking forward to in a strange way as I was hoping for some answers and 'the beginning of a solution'.

My GP fought to get me a 'short notice' (3 weeks) referral as the counsellor I had been seeing wasn't doing much for me and my GP, helpful as he is, in his own words is 'just a GP'.

I don't know what I was expecting (Gabriel Byrne :D ) but I sure as hell was expecting more than : here have some more drugs and we'll see you in 6 weeks :mad:

Feeling very very angry and disappointed with this, no mention of a plan, therapy....no nothing.....just 'have some drugs and the best of luck'

:(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That sounds... sh1t to be honest. Go back to your GP and tell him/her what happened... I would have expected at least a counselling session, but perhaps a psychiatrist is like a man with a hammer... every problem looks like a nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

From my experience with psychiatry rather than psychology, the psychiatrist sees him/herself as the alchemist, going through a list of medications, giving you time on each, hoping one will 'work'. And that's about it. They may prescribe therapy, but they don't necessarily do much else.

If you saw a psychologist and that happened I'd be shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

From my experience with psychiatry rather than psychology, the psychiatrist sees him/herself as the alchemist, going through a list of medications, giving you time on each, hoping one will 'work'. And that's about it. They may prescribe therapy, but they don't necessarily do much else.

+1 on this.

Son said the same thing , psychiatrist in his words -wanted to shove meds down his throat- psychologist he worked brilliantly with, talking everything out.

Not knocking medication as it's fantastic if it works for you.
    Just in sons experience didn't work for him , and believe me he tried a lot of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

http://www.lef.org/magazine/2014/6/A-New-Way-To-Manage-Depression-Without-Drugs/Page-01

Curcumin and depression.

I'm on Omega3's, L Tyrosine, Vit A, B, C and probiotics. Another another addition, cupboard will be backed up in no time at this rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

wexie wrote: »
    So I had my first appointment with a psychiatrist this morning, which I had been quite looking forward to in a strange way as I was hoping for some answers and 'the beginning of a solution'.

My GP fought to get me a 'short notice' (3 weeks) referral as the counsellor I had been seeing wasn't doing much for me and my GP, helpful as he is, in his own words is 'just a GP'.

I don't know what I was expecting (Gabriel Byrne :D ) but I sure as hell was expecting more than : here have some more drugs and we'll see you in 6 weeks :mad:

Feeling very very angry and disappointed with this, no mention of a plan, therapy....no nothing.....just 'have some drugs and the best of luck'

:(

psychiatrists and psychologists differ. in my view the psychiatrists were just doing a job which is mainly how drugs and daily life interact to affect the chemicals of the brain.

psychologists on the other hand listen to you (but thats their job).

between junior doctors and consultant doctors ive seen maybe 20-30 different ones. some of them were nice but most were professional. I always got the feeling i was a guinea pig in their company. a bit of a cynical view i admit but they are there to do a professional job

im kind of anti psychiatry in that i feel labeling a person with a disease can do harm as well as the disease. maybe i have read too much laing:)

to be honest though i was always in and out in two minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i was young when i first encountered them and mixed up this arrangement. i thought the same rules applied to both. but it turns out like you say that psychiatrists are more scientfic while psychologists are more philosophical

the thing is though if you are hospitalized they will talk more to you (still not as much as the psychologist though)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A psychologist cannot prescribe drugs (unless they are also qualified as a medical doctor).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

Same here. Haven't a clue. In all honesty, I wouldn't even think to do it. I think part of my journey will be learning how to set a value on doing things for myself. With work and two young kids I tend to put myself last. Actually, scratch that, I don't even make the list. I have something against the phrase 'me time' - I don't know why, but it just grates with me! - but I like the idea of 'nurturing'. So I remembered your words today. I took off out of the house, but instead of sitting in a coffee shop I picked up a take-away coffee and just sat by the water doing nothing. I find being near water calms me, so I just sat there watching it drift past. It was almost hypnotic in a way, and I even dozed off a bit a couple of times. I think I might make it a regular thing - it was kind of like taking myself outside of everything, but in a good way. Your words made a positive difference to my day today, so thank you.

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help ....That's the beginning :) it matters what you feel after those 10min of nurturing yourself, it can be anything, even the smallest things ...it's progress.. I'm a full time single mam and have a full time job with lots of responsability so it was never the case for 'me time' and even the thought of actually doing something for myself made me feel guilty ...always finding excuses and putting even more pressure on myself...but we have to be gentle with ourselves and don't forget we're only humanHumana day has only 24h ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ghostoftomjoad

Just in from the garden, spent a couple of hours planting daffodils and tulips, very therapeutic, and as well, during the dark winter months I know that I will have those flowers to look forward to. Fruit of my labour as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

When I was on Lexapro a few years back I was paying something mental like €90 for 4 weeks worth of 20mg. Was just wondering whether my GP/pharmacist was somehow screwing me or if most medication is generally that expensive?

I'm thinking about trying some out again to help me out of a rut I've been in since the start of the year and I'd need to start them pretty soon to coincide with a few activities I've committed to doing in the next while but, frankly, if they're gonna cost me that much or more I'm just gonna blow a ton of money on some huge life change instead because they weren't that effective the last time(although I kind of left it to them to try and resolve everything alone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

My dr put me on lexapro 5mg, chemist gave me the generic...1months cost me €11-€12 - just get the generic...no difference just the name

My dr put me on lexapro 5mg, chemist gave me the generic...1months cost me €11-€12 - just get the generic...no difference just the name

that's if there is a generic version, if it's still under patent (like some of the newer drugs are then there won't be.

I'm taking Lyrica and it's something insane like 90 euro for 3 weeks :(

Also, if they weren't working very well you need to talk to your GP about that (which you will need to anyways for prescription), they may well be able to give you something else. We're all different people so really GP's have to kinda try and fiddle about to find out what works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I know I should talk to the GP about this, and I will, but I just want to hear from others in a similar situation.

Is medication really that necessary? I was on lustral for 2 weeks up until last Thursday and I reacted very badly to it* so my doctor took me off them. I'm going back to him tomorrow but I would be really apprehensive about trying medication again after that. Any "success stories" from any of ye who didn't use medication or is medication usually needed to get yourself feeling better? It was my first time on medication for depression btw.

*became very apathetic towards my wellbeing, had frequent suicidal thoughts (actually made a rough plan at one stage, which I never did before I went on them), self harming (rarely did it before I went on them), started drinking to relieve anxiety/unpleasant thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

You specifically ask the chemist for the generic, is it? Sorry, I don't really have a clue about prescriptions and stuff. I was prescribed "Lexapro" rather than escitalopram, would that impact being able to ask for it? Obviously not assuming I'll be gave the same prescription again though. Is there any chance I could specifically insist on one which has a generic?

Lexapro was having an impact at 20mg way back when, definitely didn't hate myself anywhere near as much but I just had nothing else going on and the cost of it (coupled with a fear of drinking while on them) was leaving me with very few options. I assume it's not the medication's job to do that part but it might at least stop me completely losing my motivation when I'm already doing things. There were also a lot of things going on at home which seriously bogged me down that I'm now free of so that's another positive.

Also, what's the cost of getting a GP to renew a prescription? Would all of this be free if I had a medical card too? I might qualify for one but haven't looked into it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Also, what's the cost of getting a GP to renew a prescription? Would all of this be free if I had a medical card too? I might qualify for one but haven't looked into it at all.

You get free GP visits and your prescriptions written for free if you have a medical card, and you also get your prescriptions for free in the pharmacy, besides the €2.50 tax per item.

I know I should talk to the GP about this, and I will, but I just want to hear from others in a similar situation.

Is medication really that necessary? I was on lustral for 2 weeks up until last Thursday and I reacted very badly to it* so my doctor took me off them. I'm going back to him tomorrow but I would be really apprehensive about trying medication again after that. Any "success stories" from any of ye who didn't use medication or is medication usually needed to get yourself feeling better? It was my first time on medication for depression btw.

*became very apathetic towards my wellbeing, had frequent suicidal thoughts (actually made a rough plan at one stage, which I never did before I went on them), self harming (rarely did it before I went on them), started drinking to relieve anxiety/unpleasant thoughts

I've just started a different antidepressant (which so far seems to work better than the others, the last one was evil) so too early to call it a success story.

However, the anti anxiety medication (for me) certainly is working. If I forget my lyrica it's noticeable pretty quickly in how I feel and act, was about to loose the rag with my dog this afternoon when I realised I didn't take it at lunch time. Poor fecker just wanted some water :(

From what I know you really do need to talk to your GP. Suicidal thoughts, self harming and drinking are all big red flags. (although apparently not uncommon when just starting AD's :confused: From what little I know 2 weeks is just about when you could start seeing a result. The way I've seen it explained here is that it's likely taken years to end up where you are so don't expect to see it solved in weeks / months. But you should certainly see (and work on) improvements. )

But please, when you do talk to your GP try to be as open as you are (anonymously) here. Even if that means you need to write them a letter or something.

But whatever about medication, YOU need to WORK on this as well. It's hard bloody work, making yourself be active, go out, live healthily etc. etc.

The medication can help with the motivation and energy levels though.

• Advertisement

You specifically ask the chemist for the generic, is it? Sorry, I don't really have a clue about prescriptions and stuff. I was prescribed "Lexapro" rather than escitalopram, would that impact being able to ask for it? Obviously not assuming I'll be gave the same prescription again though. Is there any chance I could specifically insist on one which has a generic?

Lexapro was having an impact at 20mg way back when, definitely didn't hate myself anywhere near as much but I just had nothing else going on and the cost of it (coupled with a fear of drinking while on them) was leaving me with very few options. I assume it's not the medication's job to do that part but it might at least stop me completely losing my motivation when I'm already doing things. There were also a lot of things going on at home which seriously bogged me down that I'm now free of so that's another positive.

Yes you should be able to ask for generic either way, unless your GP specifically states it should be the branded in which case they should explain why.

Don't know about asking for a different AD as they are all different and (presumably) your GP is prescribing it for a reason. But there's never any harm in asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I seem to be having difficulties with my moods on and off lately. I was unemployed for a while, got a job and quit after a week, I couldn't take it. I'm fine most days but get a bit forgetful and moody etc. Doesn't help that our first baby is due in 8 weeks and I feel like an idiot for letting the job go. Got onto the civil service job panel, but it could be months or years until I'm offered a job. Fortunately I have a fair bit of savings and no debts and don't spend more then I need to. I can't really bring myself to look for a job though. I did go to my GP, he recommended counselling and I'm on the waiting list for free counselling now.

Thanks for reading this.

no the chemist just gave me the generic, even tho the doc had lexapro down, but l didnt mind cause like l said the only difference is the name and the price. you can ask the chemist alrite for the generic, maybe have a word to your doc about prescriptions, generics etc, they might explain it better to you.

Renewing your prescription could cost between €10 - €20...its a different price in every practice, no set price, but thats the average.

lf you had a medical card, your prescription would be free, but you would have to pay for the tabs in the chemist (think its €1.50 now? use be 50c?)

Start looking into getting a medical card, asap, this can be a long process...

I seem to be having difficulties with my moods on and off lately. I was unemployed for a while, got a job and quit after a week, I couldn't take it. I'm fine most days but get a bit forgetful and moody etc. Doesn't help that our first baby is due in 8 weeks and I feel like an idiot for letting the job go. Got onto the civil service job panel, but it could be months or years until I'm offered a job. Fortunately I have a fair bit of savings and no debts and don't spend more then I need to. I can't really bring myself to look for a job though. I did go to my GP, he recommended counselling and I'm on the waiting list for free counselling now.

Thanks for reading this.

get out there and get busy...be it helping with house work or voluteering. Exercise everyday...l know things are hard for you, but try stay positive...you'll be welcoming a lovely lil bundle of joy and love into the world v soon :) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

get out there and get busy...be it helping with house work or voluteering. Exercise everyday...l know things are hard for you, but try stay positive...you'll be welcoming a lovely lil bundle of joy and love into the world v soon :) good luck

I do all the housework, dinners, etc and get out for a walk a day, but I appreciate the sentiment and am really looking forward to the new arrival!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Ask for generic options for all medications - the savings are ridiculous! Unfortunately, some antidepressants aren't available as generics yet (eg Cymbalta). Lexapro and Effexor definitely are.

Prince of Cumberland - medication is not totally necessary for everyone, but I'll tell you something, when you find the one that works for you, my god, the difference it makes!

I have found that the best approach for a lot of people is the combination of medication and therapy/counselling. Sometimes the medication is only for a little while (maybe six months), just to give you the energy you need to kick start your recovery. Talk to your doc again in detail. Not every medication works for everyone and it can take a few goes of different drugs and doses until you find a good balance. The side effects you have noted are the ones that should always be immediately reported to a doctor, so you've done the right thing. If your doctor thinks that trying another kind might be the best way forward, then do give it serious thought. I know it's scary after such a horrible reaction to Lustral, but it can be so worth it.

Just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

no the chemist just gave me the generic, even tho the doc had lexapro down, but l didnt mind cause like l said the only difference is the name and the price. you can ask the chemist alrite for the generic, maybe have a word to your doc about prescriptions, generics etc, they might explain it better to you.

Renewing your prescription could cost between €10 - €20...its a different price in every practice, no set price, but thats the average.

lf you had a medical card, your prescription would be free, but you would have to pay for the tabs in the chemist (think its €1.50 now? use be 50c?)

Start looking into getting a medical card, asap, this can be a long process...
    It's 2.50 per medication. Up to, €25 per month, i think

Some generics have been known to have different side effects. (I found the generic of seroquel affected me badly and quickly went back to my doctor.)

For the anti-d's, I'd suggest starting with generic, you don't want to be on the brand name for 4 weeks, switch and the risk having to go through the adjusting process again.

Of course not everyone would notice/feel anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

My doctor gives me repeat prescriptions, I don't technically have to go back to get the prescription the next time, usually I do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    My doctor gives me repeat prescriptions, do I don't technically have to go back to get the prescription the next time, usually I do anyway.
    You should be able to ring the surgery and request a repeat prescription, then drop in to collect it. The doctor might prefer to have a quick chat to see how you are doing though.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Esel wrote: »
    You should be able to ring the surgery and request a repeat prescription, then drop in to collect it. The doctor might prefer to have a quick chat to see how you are doing though.

I know, I have a repeat prescription :P

Advertisement