Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you complain if your pizza was too small

• 27-10-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

So I just ordered the bank holiday cure which was a large pizza. When it came I thought it looked a little small so I got out the ruler and found that the pizza was 2 inches smaller than it should be. I ordered 16'' and got 14''.

Now you may say that it is not a huge difference but lets do the math.

The area of a circle is pi*r^2 right?

16'' = 40.64 cm
    14'' = 35.56 cm

Since pizzas are measured by diameter we can half that to get the radius and do the math.

Offered pizza area = pi*20.32^2 = 1297.17 cm^2 of delicious pizza
    Actual pizza area = pi*17.78^2 = 993.15 cm^2 of equally delicious pizza.

Now when you look at the numbers you can see 304.02 cm^2 of missing pizza! That looks a lot more than 2 measly inches right? It is a 26.55% difference!!

You are missing more than a quarter of what you paid for!

I myself am not gonna complain because I neither have the energy nor do I care very much as I can only eat so much pizza anyway but if I was sharing this pizza with another person or two I would 100% be on the phone looking for the missing area!

Anyway, would you complain for a missing 2 inches?

Also, in before the that's what she said and penis jokes.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i think the inches are the pre cooked size and once the pizza is cooked in shrinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They probably have some disclaimer ready to show which says that the pizza base is 16" before preparing and may experience some shrinkage during the baking process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Just eat the damn thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's an outrage. Send an angry email to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

That's what she said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Take pics with a ruler and post an irate letter on their facebook page with said pics

I'll bet you get free stuff, but if not at least you'll get a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

No, I'd order another one. Mmmm, pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I myself am not gonna complain because I neither have the energy
    nor do I care very much

Yep, you sound completely indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you need to consider the pizza mass rather than the circumference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

seamus wrote: »
    They probably have some disclaimer ready to show which says that the pizza base is 16" before preparing and may experience some shrinkage during the baking process.

But dough expands in the oven!

I am also not irate at all. Just was curious to how much of the pizza was actually missing. Find it kind of funny actually. If it was a constant thing though I would definitely complain.

• Advertisement

Tbh, it sounds a bit like you're already complaining, just not to the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But dough expands in the oven!
    Only if it's been designed to. A thick crust in particular which has been designed to expand, will expand upwards at the expense of circumference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I have a 16 inch love muscle, i would take a picture of my erect love muscle on the pizza to show them the difference is size, then ask if they willing to give me another 2 inches.

biko wrote: »
    I think you need to consider the pizza mass rather than the circumference.

That could be true, however traditionally pizza is measured by the diameter right through the center of the pizza. I didn't order 1/4kg of pizza :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

All good things come in small packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Subway footlongs are not a foot long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Someone just hit someone :D

Tbh, it sounds a bit like you're already complaining, just not to the right place.

Maybe I am, maybe I am not. (I am not) Either way I put the question to boards whether or not they would complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Brissygirl32

First world problems ;)

Tbh, I'd bring a ruler next time and check in front of staff just for the mindfcuk.
    Everyone "knows" that the measurement is to be correct after the pizza is cooked and not before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

All good things come in small packages.

That's patently not true.

Tbh, I'd bring a ruler next time and check in front of staff just for the mindfcuk.

Excellent, maybe I will do that next time just for the laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,158 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

subway got into a lot of trouble because its footlongs were 11.5 inches. What a scandal. also nobody cares.

Overheal wrote: »
    subway got into a lot of trouble because its footlongs were 11.5 inches. What a scandal. also nobody cares.

I dunno, in my case you are looking at more than a 25% shortfall of product.

If it was a consistent thing then I would care. You are right though, this seems to be a once off and I do not care at all. I just thought it would make for an interesting anecdote and conversation.

All that "missing" dough is probably used to sell extra pizzas which then are pure profit, and unsuspecting customers are paying for it!

We need to standardise this, country is joke, ripoff Ireland Illuminati etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It was probably a female chef. Women are always told that something the length of a matchstick is six inches, so it's little wonder they'd fúck up pizzas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Take it to the European Court OP...

What next? Publicans only putting 560 mls into a pint glass, ice cream vendors giving you a 97 instead of a 99?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So I just ordered the bank holiday cure which was a large pizza. When it came I thought it looked a little small so I got out the ruler and found that the pizza was 2 inches smaller than it should be. I ordered 16'' and got 14''.

The area of a circle is pi*r^2 right?.
    If the radius is Z and the depth is a then the volume is

pi zz a :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

But in the case of a pizza it is pie*r^2 :pac:

I'll get me coat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

16'' = 40.64 cm
    14'' = 35.56 cm

Since pizzas are measured by diameter we can half that to get the radius and do the math.

Offered pizza area = pi*20.32^2 = 1297.17 cm^2 of delicious pizza
    Actual pizza area = pi*17.78^2 = 993.15 cm^2 of equally delicious pizza.

Now when you look at the numbers you can see 304.02 cm^2 of missing pizza! That looks a lot more than 2 measly inches right? It is a 26.55% difference!!

You are missing more than a quarter of what you paid for!

I myself am not gonna complain because I neither have the energy nor do I care very much as I can only eat so much pizza anyway but if I was sharing this pizza with another person or two I would 100% be on the phone looking for the missing area!

Anyway, would you complain for a missing 2 inches?

Also, in before the that's what she said and penis jokes.

Is that you Sheldon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MissKittenfire

Would you have complained if your pizza was too big? If they had given you 18 inches instead of 16 would you have told them?

Would you have complained if your pizza was too big? If they had given you 18 inches instead of 16 would you have told them?

Probably not but in that situation it wouldn't be on me to complain would it? It would be on them to complain.

Anyway, seems a lot of people here are okay with missing more than 25% of their purchases. Really explains the era of DLC for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A large pizza is 14". A jumbo pizza is 16". The jumbo pizza is huge and way too much for one person. You got what you ordered.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    A large pizza is 14". A jumbo pizza is 16". The jumbo pizza is huge and way too much for one person. You got what you ordered.

So those are official NSAI measurements then are they? The pizza was advertised as a large 16''.

And you a right, i cannot eat that much pizza nor could I even eat the large and a medium is still pushing it but I like to have pizza leftovers for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aronura

Would You share your pizza with others ? :D
    www(.)smashlike(.)com/homeless-shares/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Overheal wrote: »

I believe they tried to get around it by trademarking the term 'Footlong'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not sure I would have complained but if I had an option of either complaining or calculating the percentage difference and formulating the OP for boards I would have complained like a madman. You could have complained, waited for the new one, received and eaten it in the time it took to do the above.

Not sure I would have complained but if I had an option of either complaining or calculating the percentage difference and formulating the OP for boards I would have complained like a madman. You could have complained, waited for the new one, received and eaten it in the time it took to do the above.

In fairness it took me less than a minute to do the calculation and about 4 to post to boards so 5 minutes all in all.

I wasn't really peeved off because it was just me eating pizza so I didn't bother complaining. I was more interested in would others have complained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Just get a rolling pin and make it flatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭SweetSand

If pizza was good i wouldn't bother complaining, but if it was bad - would definitely complain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I would totally get mad. How dare you stinge me on my pizza!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Complain, say you got a 14 inch when it was meant to be 16 inch.

I got a pizza last week that looked like it was dropped on its top and then put back to the box. My next 3 pizza were free

Advertisement