Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

hey

has anybody doing a post grad heard back yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Nope. I applied for the postgraduate grant in May. They requested more documents in July, and more again at the beginning of October, so now I'm "queing for final assessment" since 16th. Fee's office want payment by 31st..or else! Needless to say I'm a bit stressed :(

you have been queuing for final assessment since the 16th of October is it ? mine says i have been queuing since the 16th of September. have you tired speaking to someone in your fees office

you have been queuing for final assessment since the 16th of October is it ? mine says i have been queuing since the 16th of September. have you tired speaking to someone in your fees office

Yes 0ct 16th. I had been queing since 8th July, but afew weeks ago they requested more docs, so I've been pushed back in the que now. Yet when I ring them up, they have no idea where abouts I am in the que or how long more I will be waiting. I've been to the fee's office once, the guy at the desk literally took out a post it note, stuck it down on the desk in front of me with €3k written on it, and said "you owe this NOW"..I haven't been back since! I'm just praying SUSI make a decision by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Susi is a joke of a system, so unorganised and poorly run! A shambles to say the least :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Hi just wondering if someone was applying for the mature independent grant. What would be a complete list of all documents that what have to be sent

Yes 0ct 16th. I had been queing since 8th July, but afew weeks ago they requested more docs, so I've been pushed back in the que now. Yet when I ring them up, they have no idea where abouts I am in the que or how long more I will be waiting. I've been to the fee's office once, the guy at the desk literally took out a post it note, stuck it down on the desk in front of me with €3k written on it, and said "you owe this NOW"..I haven't been back since! I'm just praying SUSI make a decision by the end of the month.

hope you get it sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

slaneylad wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if someone was applying for the mature independent grant. What would be a complete list of all documents that what have to be sent

I applied this year as a mature independent student. I can't fully remember every document but I know some were proof of residence for 3-5 of previous years to your application of the course. Proof of residence from October (specifically October) from the previous year to show that you lived independently. There are some others, but I applied months ago, and didn't have the October part. They only requested that a few days ago =/

I had to contact my old landlord for a letter to send them. They'll want a letter of confirmation for BTEA if you've applied for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I applied for postgrad fee contribution in early July and have been queued since 11th September (6 weeks).
    Online it says the average wait for final assessment is 4-6 weeks but when I contacted them they said
    they've revised their schedule and now use a queuing system to assess applications.
    Absolute disgrace!
    I've had to pay my fees up front while waiting and now I'm totally broke and have been avoiding buying
    some materials that are essential to my course.
    Has anyone been successful with post-grad applications yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Xshannymcx

I applied for postgrad fee contribution in early July and have been queued since 11th September (6 weeks).
    Online it says the average wait for final assessment is 4-6 weeks but when I contacted them they said
    they've revised their schedule and now use a queuing system to assess applications.
    Absolute disgrace!
    I've had to pay my fees up front while waiting and now I'm totally broke and have been avoiding buying
    some materials that are essential to my course.
    Has anyone been successful with post-grad applications yet?

I have been queued since September 1st. I haven't gotten anywhere with susi on the phone or by email. Absolute Joke! (I'm not post-grad but I feel your pain)
    Also missed out on an essential trip to be taken in January for my course :( It was to be paid by Friday :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Xshannymcx wrote: »
    I have been queued since September 1st. I haven't gotten anywhere with susi on the phone or by email. Absolute Joke! (I'm not post-grad but I feel your pain)
    Also missed out on an essential trip to be taken in January for my course :( It was to be paid by Friday :L
    If you are waiting since the first of september then you must of either applied very late or taken a long time to get them sent the correct documentation.

Its not ideal but unfortunately its really done on a first come first serve basis, with the order of priority being the date you fully completed the application with all documentation being sent in and accepted.

I have been dealing with such institutions for years and the only way to get anything in anywhere near a reasonable time frame is to get a perfect or near perfect application in first time, as soon as possible after the opening date.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

If you are waiting since the first of september then you must of either applied very late or taken a long time to get them sent the correct documentation.

I'm queued since 27th of August and no I didn't apply very late (nearing the last week in June) and no I didn't take long to send them the correct documentation (approx. 4 working days from receiving their letter). The system is quite simply a joke. It took SUSI 8 weeks to initially assess my application before they requested documents from me.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I'm queued since 27th of August and no I didn't apply very late (nearing the last week in June) and no I didn't take long to send them the correct documentation (approx. 4 working days from receiving their letter). The system is quite simply a joke. It took SUSI 8 weeks to initially assess my application before they requested documents from me.
    The system was open in the first week of may which is when i put in the application, i know simply from experience you need to be trying to apply that week and getting all supporting documentation in.

Look i am not defending SUSI, the system sucks, but you need to just accept that and do your best to be amongst the first to send stuff in.

If its any consolation to you one of my friends is queued since the 11th of august and he got sorted last week. So maybe another week or two will sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

The system was open in the first week of may which is when i put in the application, i know simply from experience you need to be trying to apply that week and getting all supporting documentation in.

Look i am not defending SUSI, the system sucks, but you need to just accept that and do your best to be amongst the first to send stuff in.

If its any consolation to you one of my friends is queued since the 11th of august and he got sorted last week. So maybe another week or two will sort you.

Oh absolutely, but what annoyed me more was that I had to complete a new application because I "changed" course. I'm in third year now and I simply dropped a subject, but in doing that I basically changed the name of my degree. I would've applied sooner had I not already submitted the renewal for my old course and waited up to 2 weeks for SUSI technicians to wipe that off the system. It's a long story, but that's the long and short of it. And thanks for that, I didn't think they were processing August people yet so that's good to know :)

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely, but what annoyed me more was that I had to complete a new application because I "changed" course. I'm in third year now and I simply dropped a subject, but in doing that I basically changed the name of my degree. I would've applied sooner had I not already submitted the renewal for my old course and waited up to 2 weeks for SUSI technicians to wipe that off the system. It's a long story, but that's the long and short of it. And thanks for that, I didn't think they were processing August people yet so that's good to know :)
    I know the feeling i was progressing from 3rd to 4th year, and as my 4th year is considered an "add-on" year i needed to re-apply all over again even though i was receiving the grant from 1st to 3rd year with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Anyone know when the next payment is?

I emailed susi today for an update on my application, it's been awaiting final assessment since 05 august. This is what they sent me

Hi

Thank you for your message.

In regards to your query, you will receive a letter shortly in regards to the application. You should receive this within the next 7 - 10 days.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

SUSI Helpdesk

Is this normal practice, as I always thought susi tell us to refer to the online tracker, so I am thinking now it's bad news if they say they are writing out to me, or else looking for more documents! So frustrating the whole process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

Application this year has been a disaster. My circumstances changed significantly since I started the application so I had to be reassessed. They originally only wanted one piece of documentation which I sent off. Then they requested a birth cert, P60 and P21. We had to get in contact with the Tax Office which we did straight anyway to get the P21. No sign of it so we have been in there several times trying to sort it out. We were told then that we didn't need to send this to SUSI as they have access to all of these documents, therefore the tax office would not issue a P21 to us. Posted off the other documents thinking it was fine.
    Today I have received a letter saying I am missing the P21 and need to submit it, despite the fact we included a note in the other documents explaining what the tax office had told us. They will not give us a P21. SUSI want the P21 but will not access it themselves, so my application is just in limbo and I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

I applied in early May and I am still waiting for approval of postgraduate fees, so I feel your pain. I had a similar situation requesting docs from Dept of social protection, they too told me that SUSI have access to their system, and were reluctant to furnish my request. But you just have to a be persistent, and do not take no for an answer, keep ringing the tax office and you will get your letter eventually. It makes a HUGE difference if you speak to different people as well, some people genuinely do NOT want to help, but there are others that will go out of their way to help you. Perseverence is failing 9 times and succeeding the 10th. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Arrived home to find a letter from susi, after emailing then and all yesterday! The letter today is requesting more documents :( this time they want my fathers income and expenditure for his part time self enjoyed job he did for a year last year! I already sent in everyone they asked for and now this! Really annoying looks like il never get the grant now at this stage it will take forever :(

I rang susi help desk and the person told me u can write up a profit and loss account myself, I said really? She said ye just write out what your dad spend in expenses etc and what he made then at the end? My father is very I'll in hospital that's why he can't do it but anyway it was all on that form 11 and the tax returns I already gave them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Just noticed a mystery credit for 200 euro on the 15th of October from Cork Educati.... this is hardly the SUSI payment is it (reference to old Cork VEC?)

Technically my application is still awaiting final assessment as per the tracker page. Did this happen to anyone else i.e. payment of grant prior to approval?

After sending back my requested documents again. I got another letter yesterday asking for the same document. I spoke with someone at SUSI last week about the fact that all the bills were in my partners name from the previous October. He said to contact my previous landlord and get a letter stating I lived there last year, which I did.

So it's very frustrating to get the same request. I don't have anything else for them, and am afraid that if they won't accept the letter (after the guy said it should be okay) that I'll have to drop out and try again next year. All of this after applying early June is so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Do SUSI send you an email or text to inform you of a decision? I've been on Final Assessment stage for nearly 7 weeks now. Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Application this year has been a disaster. My circumstances changed significantly since I started the application so I had to be reassessed. They originally only wanted one piece of documentation which I sent off. Then they requested a birth cert, P60 and P21. We had to get in contact with the Tax Office which we did straight anyway to get the P21. No sign of it so we have been in there several times trying to sort it out. We were told then that we didn't need to send this to SUSI as they have access to all of these documents, therefore the tax office would not issue a P21 to us. Posted off the other documents thinking it was fine.
    Today I have received a letter saying I am missing the P21 and need to submit it, despite the fact we included a note in the other documents explaining what the tax office had told us. They will not give us a P21. SUSI want the P21 but will not access it themselves, so my application is just in limbo and I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

Ring SUSI and tell them you are lodging an official complaint about it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks I'd suggest anyone who is having extra delays or unnecessary document requests go through SUSI complaint procedures

http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭shano_88

Folks I'd suggest anyone who is having extra delays or unnecessary document requests go through SUSI complaint procedures

http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

I think i might try this. I was waiting for 2 months like alot of people but got a letter last week requesting holiday payslips(payslips for 2 weeks at easter, 2 weeks at Christmas and 12 weeks of Summer). I rang them up explaining that I had already provided my p60 but he maintained that I would have to provide them. Seems ridiculous to me.

Can someone please advise me, susi are requesting a copy of full set if accounts for 2013, they are looking for trading account, profit and loss, capital account and balance sheet for each business 2013!

So basically my dad works as a paye full time, and did a day or two for a catalogue place selling stuff like a avon type rep person. He got an accountant to so the accounts, only very small income he made from it.

Basically accountant did his return, and I sent on the sect assessment to susi. Now they want this set of full accounts.

I went and all the account has for my father is the full trading statement. The accountant said my father wouldn't have a capital account or any irking like that as it wasn't a business as such. I rang susi about this and they were no help whatsoever!

Has anyone any experience of this it any idea what to do, kind of stressed out over it now as it will just keep delaying things if it's not right!

Appreciate any help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

54000 have been awarded, 19000 are still waiting.

• Advertisement

Going to have to defer my course for the year, as susi are requesting a specific document from me that doesn't exist. A utility bill in my name from Oct 2013 specifically. All the bills were in my partners name and we moved between then and now. Susi said they are strict on documents, so I'm not going to get mine. Shame it took them so long to assess what was sent in early June.

Advertisement