Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Certificate Science Project (Coursework B) 2015

Options
  • 06-10-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

The Coursework B Investigation titles arrived today in our school.

Biology
    Investigate and compare the quantitative effects of changing (a) wavelength of illumination and (b) either intensity or duration of illumination on the phototropic growth response of recently germinated plant shoots/seedlings.

Chemistry
    Investigate and compare the quantitative effects of changing (a) metal types and (b) fruit/vegetable type on the emf (voltage) produced across two different metals, when the electrolytes take the form of fruits and/or vegetables.

Physics
    Investigate and compare the quantitative effects of changing (a) material type and (b) material thickness on the level of sound insulation provided by a range of materials.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Not liking the look of the Biology one, the others don't seem too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Faith223

the chemistry is hard don't know how to design the project have physics all planed out yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanestaff2058

any ideas on how to do these experiment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The way the experiments are described above tells you how to do the experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

any ideas on how to do these experiment

Well I just finished doing my work and I personally prefered the Physics and Chemistry projects, Biology is very hard and it takes a long time to get right.

Physics: So basically what I did was I had two phones, one phone had a tone generator and the other had a decibel meter. You want to keep the decibel meter on a retort stand and the tone generator on the bottom. Play the tone and use different materials to cover the speaker and see what differences it makes. Also, pick one or two materials where you add more than one layer and see how the layers affect it. All of this needs to be recorded on a paper somewhere.

Chemistry: Fairly straightforward, use a variety of fruits and vegetables and measure the potential difference (volts) in it. To do this, you'll need 2 different metals (I used copper and zinc), and place them inside your fruit/vegetable of choice. Make sure that the metals are the same size and also same distance inside as each other. Use a voltmeter and connect two cables to the voltmeter and the other side to the edge of each metal. Record what it says on the voltmeter and do the same thing to other fruits and vegetables.

Hope I helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

http://www.mrcjcs.com/projects-2014 is a good resource for the projects, it explains how to do the physics project and write it up and I presume they'll put up another guide for either chemistry or biology soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BHCJC

Are you guys doing theese projects on your own? Like, at home?
    Our teacher allowed us to do them during class time and literally told us what to do, she also helped us with the write-up.
    We did the chemistry and physics, the biology one looks guite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

BHCJC wrote:
    Are you guys doing theese projects on your own? Like, at home? Our teacher allowed us to do them during class time and literally told us what to do, she also helped us with the write-up. We did the chemistry and physics, the biology one looks guite difficult.

No I did mine in school. I did the chemistry and physics experiments too and the other science class in my year did the biology one and they said it was impossible and they didn't even get it right. We did ours during class time but my teacher only told us how much information we needed per answer. Remember that the examiner that corrects your project corrects it with the rest of the class so if everyone takes lots of tips from the teacher and bases their answers on them then apparently it's much harder to get marks than it is if everyone has a completely different write-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aleeha ali

can someone plzzz help me on course work b????

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tairat r.

can someone pls help[ me with the coursework b 2016 science experiment write up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

What you stuck on mate?

Advertisement