Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get insurance on car without NCT?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I have a car that's been off the road for a few years and I plan on fixing it up and getting it running.

Everything is out date on it, so I was thinking after transferring it into my name, I would get insurance on it, and then I can get it fixed up for NCT as soon as possible.

Rang one insurance company this evening and they said that since the NCT is out of date, they can't insure it and she didn't think any other insurance company would be legally able to insure it either. I did't have time to check with any others.

What's the best way around this? My wife's car is insured, so I'll check with that company to see if they can insure this new car temporarily, just thought I'd ask in here for other ideas. Maybe someone knows a better way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

edanto wrote: »
    I have a car that's been off the road for a few years and I plan on fixing it up and getting it running.

Everything is out date on it, so I was thinking after transferring it into my name, I would get insurance on it, and then I can get it fixed up for NCT as soon as possible.

Rang one insurance company this evening and they said that since the NCT is out of date, they can't insure it and she didn't think any other insurance company would be legally able to insure it either. I did't have time to check with any others.

What's the best way around this? My wife's car is insured, so I'll check with that company to see if they can insure this new car temporarily, just thought I'd ask in here for other ideas. Maybe someone knows a better way!

What, my car has been off the road for 2 years, no tax no or NCT
    Renewed my insurence today and they said nothing about the NCT which I still dont have , yet anywaY
    Shop around

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What SC wrote. I've been *ahem* a tad behind on my NCT before* and I've never had my insurance company even mention it. NOw in saying that if you were to have a claim, you can be sure they'd mention it then so having one is a given.

*before the high horses folks on stilts show up, my car passed all of it's NCT's with flying colours on all points, with one exception which was a dead catalytic converter, which was hardly within an asses roar of a safety issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Who are you insured with OP?

Wibbs wrote: »
    What SC wrote. I've been *ahem* a tad behind on my NCT before* and I've never had my insurance company even mention it. NOw in saying that if you were to have a claim, you can be sure they'd mention it then so having one is a given.

*before the high horses folks on stilts show up, my car passed all of it's NCT's with flying colours on all points, with one exception which was a dead catalytic converter, which was hardly within an asses roar of a safety issue.

Just to point out I am getting my car back on the road so need to insure tax and nct it

Still havent taxed it as I needed to insure it first which took all day
    So to the garda station tomorrow and then sort out NCT

Car still isnt being driven

I have her car for a while till mine back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Well that's encouraging guys thanks.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Who are you insured with OP?

It was Liberty Insurance that told me that. I asked the agent to check it with a supervisor and they both confirmed that insurance is invalid without current NCT. They said it was a condition of their policies and also said there was some regulations/law about it... but couldn't specify.

• Advertisement

It was Liberty Insurance that told me that. I asked the agent to check it with a supervisor and they both confirmed that insurance is invalid without current NCT. They said it was a condition of their policies and also said there was some regulations/law about it... but couldn't specify.

Shop around, I was dealing with a rake of them and none mentioned anything about NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

How the hell can anyone get their car to a NCT Test Centre if they can't first of all insure the damn thing? :confused:

They've got the cart before the horse on this occasion, No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Yep no surprises there. Seems to be a new condition on all new quotes.
    Shop around though and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

How the hell can anyone get their car to a NCT Test Centre if they can't first of all insure the damn thing? :confused:

They've got the cart before the horse on this occasion, No?
    They can trailer it there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That's intriguing. Good way to lose business if none of the others are doing itm

• Advertisement

As it turned out, I wasn't going to need to drive this car until September and since quotes are only valid for 30 days I put it on hold until now.

I've just had a second company refuse to quote because of no NCT, it was FBD insurance this morning.

Would anyone know which companies ARE quoting without NCT? Otherwise I'll be stuck in a loop and I sure don't want to tow/trailer to NCT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

what happens if your nct runs out after you're insured with these companies

do they cancel your policy and blacklist you?

I wouldn't know about that.

One quote I got, the company said they didn't need the NCT cert at the start of the policy but I had to produce it within 14 days or the policy would be cancelled with no refund. Mad like! What if I can't get an NCT appointment in the first two weeks?

Anyways, hurrah for AIG via chill.ie, they've taken me on without a requirement for the NCT upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

Even though you might be able to purchase insurance over the phone via broker or otherwise I'm pretty sure you will find in the fine print that a valid NCT is a condition of your cover. So even if the NCT were to expire during your insured period you are still responsible to ensure that your car has a valid NCT throughout.

And even with a valid NCT you are still responsible for the vehicle being road worthy.

Insurance is a dirty business, if they can find a reason not to pay out they will not pay out. Insured or not I believe you are best off towing the car to the NCT on a trailer unless you are very very certain you are covered even without a valid NCT. I would personally need that in writing myself as I have noticed these recorded conversations tend to go missing if they are in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

do they know if it expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's reasonable enough for an insurance company to ask to see an NCT cert when giving a quote, at least they know that at the start of the policy, the car is in a reasonably roadworthy condition but very few of them insert any mention of the NCT in the policy document so having a current NCT is not a standard condition in motor policies as suggested or implied by various poster above.

For example, if you read the current Axa and Aviva motor policy documents, there is no mention whatsoever of the NCT. Liberty have it in the 'Duty of Care' section along with things like 'take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, injuries, loss or damage' but it's highly unlikely that they could deny a claim simply because the NCT had expired any more than they could if the driver's driving licence had expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hairyface

i have no nct on my car and another car crashed into mine over the weekend it was the other persons fault and they admitted it to the garda as he was doing me for no nct :( where do i stand now will to other persons insurance company still have to pay out for the damage to my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I rang around several insurers and brokers recently and not one asked my about my NCT. Went with Liberty in the end and as far as I know they still have no idea if my NCT is valid (unless they have means to check for themselves?). I dont think its something that I have ever been asked about by an insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

hairyface wrote: »
    i have no nct on my car and another car crashed into mine over the weekend it was the other persons fault and they admitted it to the garda as he was doing me for no nct :( where do i stand now will to other persons insurance company still have to pay out for the damage to my car?

I would have thought so; the only way I could see them being able to use it as a way out of paying would be if they could prove that your not having NCT was a direct contributor to the accident (and if someone crashed into you then Id say the chances of that being the case would be nil). The Gardai might follow through with their intent to penalize you, but that would be a seperate matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

Sin City wrote: »
    Just to point out I am getting my car back on the road so need to insure tax and nct it

Still havent taxed it as I needed to insure it first which took all day
    So to the garda station tomorrow and then sort out NCT

Car still isnt being driven

I have her car for a while till mine back on the road
    Bloody stupid in this country when it comes to insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You're replying to a 4 year old post dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

bazz26 wrote: »
    You're replying to a 4 year old post dude.

That’s his first post on boards in 2 years and to a zombie thread :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement