Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car in front rolling back

• 12-01-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed an increase in the following:-

You're stopped at red traffic lights behind a car on a hill or a small incline. Lights go green and the car in front rolls back a couple of feet:eek: probably leaving the hand brake off before getting in gear and going forward again. I've a tow-bar ding on my front num plate from the last fool:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I did this about 4 years ago for the first and only time. Have no idea what I was thinking at the time, light was red and was stopped for a while, car behind me had to give me a gentle beep before I slowly rolled into them. Learnt my lesson not to be day dreaming

might not be clear in original post but didnt actually bump into the car behind me and was on a virtually flat road -the quays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And that's why you leave a bit of space from the car in front of you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

BX 19 wrote: »
    And that's why you leave a bit of space from the car in front of you.....

Exactly. The number of drivers out there who cant do a hill start is frightening, despite it being part of the driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You could stall a car from startup 4 times in the driving test and still pass....

Anyway, Leave enough space so you can see the rear tyres and a bit of tarmac from the car in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My golden rule, always leave 1 metre for muppets :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I'd normally leave a good metre at least in front. Recently I had the car in front of me reverse because the car in front of him rolled back into his comfort zone. Car behind me up my arse, so I was helpless and just waited for the crunch:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I find just smacking into the back of the first stops them rolling back, strike first and all that stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is a perfect reason for getting a dash cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As a pedestrian, I see this a lot when crossing (I will only cross at or well away from a crossing, not near) the road in stopped traffic - even on flat ground.

Keep plenty of space! Rmember that 99% of the time, you are the only one who can use that space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I sincerely hope you mean that you leave an extra metre for in case the driver in front is a bit of a muppet?!

Only muppets leave only a meter between them and the car in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I find the worst place for this is an exit from the Ballymount Industrial Estate. There is a steep hill up onto the road and cars are always too close to eachother. I've been up that hill a couple doxen times and i'm surprised i've seen no accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Feck handbrakes i abuse my clutch while waiting at hill junctions, im cool me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Safe clearance.....

On a downhill - 1 cm.

On an uphill - 1 metre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

And then when they do roll into you, they just drive off :mad: No getting out of the car to see if there's any damage or to apologise - just bump - and gone ! Happened to me twice now. Both time's I gave ample warning blowing the horn at them as they rolling back but both ignored it. Luckily both times no damage done, and only because of that, neither reported for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I use the N25 to travel to work and have to take an uphill slip road exit. The amount of people who roll back or sit at the bottom of the slight incline because they obviously can't do a hillstart is shocking. I actually work with someone like this. She has her full licence and can't do hillstarts or use roundabouts correctly. She actually said to me one day, "how do you know all this stuff?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

coylemj wrote: »
    Safe clearance.....

On a downhill - 1 m.

On an uphill - 5 metre.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I do any hill start even without handbrake, without damaging clutch or gearbox. ... people cant do this, because they dont know how things work ... me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bit of a judgement call...if it's a Yaris with L plates or an old lady driving then I stay well back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Agree with the OP that its people not using their handbrake, they need to redo hill start part of their driving test.

Might also be related to modern cars with hill hold features not being used properly. Still a basic driver error, car should not move back at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I was always taught to make sure you can see the rear tyres of the car in front of you when stopped at lights. If you cant see them then you are too close. Even more space is needed when on a hill.

Its obviously foreseeable that a car will roll back while doing a hill start. Therefore if you are too close and the car rolls back you might not get 100% of the compensation owed to you if it goes to court. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Feck handbrakes i abuse my clutch while waiting at hill junctions, im cool me

How's that DMF doing?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I add 1m clearance if the other guy has a towbar.

Advertisement