Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from UCD to DCU

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! My first thread here so I'll try to keep it brief.
    I started going to UCD in September, and I'm doing Languages (French, Spanish, Italian specifically). I mean no offence, but I personally hate it here, for various reasons. I would love to go to DCU to do Applied Language and Translation Studies (French and Japanese).
    Should I drop out of UCD now and wait for the CAO to open and pop the DCU course on there? I mean, my other option would be to complete first year in UCD and apply to transfer to second year in DCU, but honestly do not think I can stick a whole year here. I don't know if there's any other options for me to take in this situation..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, this shiz is stressing me out so. Much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

You wouldn't be able to transfer into the second year of the course in DCU as you wouldn't have been studying Japanese so that's that option out anyway.

If you are 100% certain you do not want to stay in your course, I would say drop out asap. If you stay for a year you'll have to pay fees for the first year of the next course you do. If you drop out half way, you'll only have to pay half fees for the first year of the next course you do (the exact deadlines to qualify for this are out there somewhere but I'm not sure where - CAO site maybe?).

Best thing would be to go talk to someone in UCD about dropping out but if you're doing it, do it quickly so you don't have to pay full fees for your next course. Then re-apply with the CAO for the DCU course. I'm in my final year of the course you want to transfer into so if you have any specific questions about it let me know! I also started off studying in UCD and hated it so I understand that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ikubi

Konata wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to transfer into the second year of the course in DCU as you wouldn't have been studying Japanese so that's that option out anyway.

If you are 100% certain you do not want to stay in your course, I would say drop out asap. If you stay for a year you'll have to pay fees for the first year of the next course you do. If you drop out half way, you'll only have to pay half fees for the first year of the next course you do (the exact deadlines to qualify for this are out there somewhere but I'm not sure where - CAO site maybe?).

Best thing would be to go talk to someone in UCD about dropping out but if you're doing it, do it quickly so you don't have to pay full fees for your next course. Then re-apply with the CAO for the DCU course. I'm in my final year of the course you want to transfer into so if you have any specific questions about it let me know! I also started off studying in UCD and hated it so I understand that too!

Thank you for replying Konata! ^_^ I forgot to mention that I'm studying Japanese in UCD as an elective which might enable me to transfer to second year, but still I'm not sure if I want to spend the whole year here.
    I sent you a PM with a little more detail and a few questions about the course, if you don't mind reading/ answering them. Thanks so much :3

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

Your best bet is actually asking the Careers / Student Support services in DCU and UCD. They're a free service who provide this information. Boards.ie, great and all as it is, probably doesn't know the intricacies of transferring college.

Advertisement