Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage stone markings

Options
  • 27-10-2014 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I tried this query on another forum without success. Would anyone know the significance of these markings on a cottage? Are they part of the original stonework or was it added later?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

denismac wrote: »
    I tried this query on another forum without success. Would anyone know the significance of these markings on a cottage? Are they part of the original stonework or was it added later?
    Not so sure that the stonework itself is original. It looks like a rebuild using sand and cement rather than lime mortar and the bricks over the window are modern.
    Assuming this is the case, then the plaque could have come from elsewhere.
    No clue about the lettering but a little background information never goes amiss - was the building once a school, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I know that this particular house was renovated in the 90's hence the new bricks. It seems though that stone was deliberately placed there, whether its original or not I don't know. Nor do I know the old use of the cottage, whether school or not. I was curious though if the markings had any significance, either to this house or in another site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I wonder was it a foundation stone which was uncovered during the renovations and placed in its present position during the rebuild.

What county are you in OP? Is there an Architectural Survey done for the county? It might throw up similar carvings.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The cottage is is West Clare. I don't know of any survey but it might be worth finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

denismac wrote: »
    The cottage is is West Clare. I don't know of any survey but it might be worth finding out.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/NIAHPublications/#d.en.1284

Link to the Architectural Survey of Clare above. It might be worth getting a copy and seeing if there are any similar markings or getting in touch with the authors and sending them your photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I'm not an expert, looking at the stone notice how the writing is off centre and of 2 different styles.

I suggest that this might be a practice stone from an apprentice headstone maker that was found during renovations or owned by someone from the family that renovated the cottage.

It makes a nice addition to the facade and certainly adds character to the building.

Advertisement