Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

designing a hoodie; help!

Options
  • 29-09-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

so I want to design a hoodie and I want it to be perfect so I want to trace images onto it. The only way I could think of to trace images onto fabric is by using oil paint sticks. (tracing an image onto paper, turning it over, covering the back of the image with oil paint stick, turning it back over, placing it on the fabric, tracing the image. so then when you remove the paper, the image has rubbed off onto the fabric.)

after tracing on the images, I was going to paint the inside of the images with fabric paint. If any of you have any experience with things like this I have a few questions:

1) for starters, will it work?
    2) fabric paint is designed not to come off in the wash, but will the oil paint stick wash off?
    3) if I wanted to iron the images after, to make the design more permanent, will the oil paint stick smudge/run etc? considering wax is an ingredient in the oil paint stick (wax is what makes the oil paint into a stick)
    4) if this won't work, what else could I do?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

have you looked into screen printing at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NiamhSwaine

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    have you looked into screen printing at all?

not sure what that is ... but I'll google it and look into it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you could use dressmakers chalk to make the outline. It washes out or use needle and thread and unpick afterwards.:)

you could use dressmakers chalk to make the outline. It washes out or use needle and thread and unpick afterwards.:)

thanks :) ... not sure that needle and thread would work because I kind of need it to be perfect and I can't sew for my life haha. that chalk stuff might though, if it washes off I can just trace the outline on and then use fabric paint. :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Why not print onto it? Look for a local t-shirt printer that offers DTG (Direct to garment) and they can print directly onto your hoody.

• Advertisement

Why not print onto it? Look for a local t-shirt printer that offers DTG (Direct to garment) and they can print directly onto your hoody.

because that would be very expensive and ideally I would want to do more than one

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

because that would be very expensive and ideally I would want to do more than one

price these guys, they're pretty good, if you're in dublin, and the print quality is good.

http://www.camdenclothing.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't know, if you weigh up your time and the quality of the final product it may not seem expensive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Would t-shirt vinyl work for you? (Flex) if you wanted to mass produce a design there are places that will do them, price will depend on complexity of design.
    There's also inkjet printable t-shirt transfers - they "feel" quite heavy on a t-shirt and you obviously can't print white (although can have white in a design on a white t-shirt) - e.g if you put onto a red t-shirt, any white areas will show as red. Can be ironed on with a regular iron with a bit of care and then wash through the t-shirt and tumble inside out to further "set" the design. This is probably the cheapest way to have a go at designing your own stuff. Never tried it on a hoodie though (think you need a high % of cotton in the garment).
    There are also companies that will make you a custom t-shirt transfer http://www.spot98.net/custom/transfers_opaque.html
    DTG has come down in price in the last few years but really you need to be printing multiples to make it work. Screen printing has a high set up cost and is only really viable (but an excellent finish) for large runs.

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    price these guys, they're pretty good, if you're in dublin, and the print quality is good.

I am in Dublin, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Would t-shirt vinyl work for you? (Flex) if you wanted to mass produce a design there are places that will do them, price will depend on complexity of design.
    There's also inkjet printable t-shirt transfers - they "feel" quite heavy on a t-shirt and you obviously can't print white (although can have white in a design on a white t-shirt) - e.g if you put onto a red t-shirt, any white areas will show as red. Can be ironed on with a regular iron with a bit of care and then wash through the t-shirt and tumble inside out to further "set" the design. This is probably the cheapest way to have a go at designing your own stuff. Never tried it on a hoodie though (think you need a high % of cotton in the garment).
    There are also companies that will make you a custom t-shirt transfer
    DTG has come down in price in the last few years but really you need to be printing multiples to make it work. Screen printing has a high set up cost and is only really viable (but an excellent finish) for large runs.

I'll look into everything, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Print whatever the design is onto paper then poke holes through the outline of the design, with a compass or something sharp. Then place the piece of paper on the jumper, maybe use some fixitave to keep it in place and paint over it (Don't use too much or it will bleed). The paint will seep through the holes so when you remove the paper off the jumper it will leave a dotted outline of your design.

Advertisement