Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your 3 favorite podcasts?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What are your 3 favorite podcasts?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mayo and Kermode Film Reviews - I love them, they're brilliant and so good with their listeners
    The Tuesday Club (Alan Davies Arsenal podcast) - I don't even support Arsenal, but this is hilarious. "She was nice"
    The Empire podcast - very young, and they're still finding their feet, but there's good movie banter and Helen O'Hara's accent is seriously sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Filmspotting - Really in depth film podcast, good top fives and marathons. Tend to steer clear of the mainstream releases.
    How Did This Get Made? - Hilarious film podcast with three comedians and a special guest talking about terrible films.
    Welcome to Night Vale - Creepy and funny David Lynch style radio play.
    Football Weekly - AC Jimbo is king.
    Football Ramble - A really fun football podcast.

Can't pick just three, there could easily be five more here but these are ones I never miss.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Mayo and Kermode Film Reviews - I love them, they're brilliant and so good with their listeners
    The Tuesday Club (Alan Davies Arsenal podcast) - I don't even support Arsenal, but this is hilarious. "She was nice"
    The Empire podcast - very young, and they're still finding their feet, but there's good movie banter and Helen O'Hara's accent is seriously sexy.

These three could also be my three. I'm a big fan of all of them right down to my love of Helen O'Haras voice. I was quite happy when she replied to a tweet from me a few weeks back - yes, sad I know.

I'd probably swap in Football Weekly for The Tuesday Club, even though I'm a big Arsenal fan.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    These three could also be my three. I'm a big fan of all of them right down to my love of Helen O'Haras voice. I was quite happy when she replied to a tweet from me a few weeks back - yes, sad I know.

I'd probably swap in Football Weekly for The Tuesday Club, even though I'm a big Arsenal fan.

You lucky bastard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

My current favourite podcasts are

This Week in Science with Dr. Kiki
    Cordkillers with Tom Merritt and Brian Brushwood
    Talkin' Toons with Rob Paulsen

This Week in Science is a review of the weeks science headlines, with some light hearted discussion. I've been listening to this one for five years now, very entertaining and informative.

Cordkillers grew out of the TWiT network but is no longer affiliated with them, is about getting to enjoy content conveniently, legally, and in whatever format you please.

Talkin' Toons is hosted by voice actor Rob Paulsen, better known as Pinky from Pinky & the Brain, Yakko from Animaniacs and Raphael from the 1987 Ninja Turtles cartoon. In it he interviews lots of other voice actors. Nostalgic and hilarious. When Rob Paulsen replied to me in a tweet I felt like I had just achieved all my childhood ambitions.

I love podcasts, I could quite easily give you my top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

...I love podcasts, I could quite easily give you my top 10.

Sure, why not. ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Second Captains

Doug Stanhope Podcast-Doug interviewing his interesting friends and telling road stories.Just the right mix of depressing and hilarious.

Go Bayside-Review of episodes of Saved by the Bell with a different comedian every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ralphh

Adam and Joe - No longer recording but back catalog is available.
    The Bugle - Satrical podcast and loads of fun!
    If I were you - Jake and Amir from Collegehumor.com have an advice podcast. Pretty funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

TESD
    UYD
    DVDASA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hardcore History - Dan Carlin
    The History of Rome - Mike Duncan
    Radiolab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Whats amazing about all of these is that they will, barring some unforeseen incident, be available forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

The Comedy Button
    Skeptics Guide to the Universe
    Either the Joe Rogan Experience or Podcast Beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

ding dong show
    church of whats happening now
    talking ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

More for nerds/IT people

Security Now : Computer Security topics and tutorials

Security Now

Astronomy Cast : Astronomy and quite a lot of popular science/physics too

Astronomy Cast

This Week in Tech : Sort of a filler when I run out of the other two podcasts

This Week In Tech

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This American Life (I cannot recommend this highly enough)
    Astronomy Cast
    Welcome To Night Vale (though the format is perhaps becoming a little stale)

I've just recently discovered Ray Foley's Nighttime Network. Only 4 episodes in with a few more to catch up on but I'm enjoying it, but I am a massive Foley fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

From this thread, I've discovered Football Ramble.

Descent punditry & very funny guys to boot.

My own recommendation is 'Media Talk' from the Guardian.

Its a weekly 30 min look at the UK media landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Football Ramble
    Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews
    UFC World Podcast with Gareth. A Davies

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Thanks for the nods to Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews really enjoying this!

This American Life is a favourite of mine,

Check out Jarlath Regan's 'An Irishman Abroad', some very interesting podcasts, especially the Dylan Moran one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Thanks for the nods to Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews really enjoying this!

This American Life is a favourite of mine,

Check out Jarlath Regan's 'An Irishman Abroad', some very interesting podcasts, especially the Dylan Moran one.

Here's a direct link to that episode: http://anirishmanabroad.podbean.com/mf/feed/ecp8bd/Episode13DylanMoran.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

in no particular order

second captains
    the infinite monkey cage
    the empire podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Love, love, love podcasts :)

Among my favourites (some have been mentioned already on this thread but thought I'd add my €0.02 worth....)

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo Film Reviews on BBC Radio 5 Live

This American Life

Radiolab

Freakonomics

Science Friday

99% Invisible

BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy (but only if its The News Quiz)

(this is cheering me up after a rough night... )

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Se1251an

Norm macdonald live!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

No agenda
    This American life
    Guardian media talk
    Fish go deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

The Joe Rogan Experience
    Hardcore History
    The Steve austin Show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The Bugle
    If you like your political satire then you will LOVE this podcast - involves John Oliver chatting with Andy Zaltzman about the week. They created the phrase "****eulogy" - used when a dictator dies

Harmontown
    Creator of brilliant show Community, Dan Harmon joins with his friend and comedian Jeff Davies to talk shight, interview people and play Dungeons and Dragons - very funny.

You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
    When I first started listening to Pete Holmes I couldn't stand him, but he gets really good guests on for 2-3 hour unedited chats. He can be extremely narcissistic and I find myself rolling my eyes alot at him - but the podcast usually flows with persons career, persons childhood, persons love life, persons religion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Radiolab

This American Life

RTE Doc on One

and a new favourite, No Such Thing as a Fish (QI Elves) (that's a Soundcloud link but it's also free on iTunes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

wprathead wrote: »
    You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
    When I first started listening to Pete Holmes I couldn't stand him, but he gets really good guests on for 2-3 hour unedited chats. He can be extremely narcissistic and I find myself rolling my eyes alot at him - but the podcast usually flows with persons career, persons childhood, persons love life, persons religion.

this so much. he's a revolting, self absorbed, whingey person but he gets great guests

Advertisement