Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Diploma in Science in Computing BN509

• 02-05-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or experiences of this course?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ronan6700

Im doing it at the moment. It`s really good but a serious amount of work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tigerbeat

Hi Ronan6700

I was thinking of applying for this course, I have zero experience in IT...well i can do the basics but the Schedule says one Saturday per month which suits me as i work down the country on weekdays.... is there alot on cramming on these Saturdays? Is it mostly self thought as a result?
    I assume lecture notes are available online?

Thanks

Hi Tigerbeat.

I had no IT experience before either. Im finding it hard enough but still getting through it. Its hard going though. When I started it was supposed to be one Sat a month but it turned out to be most Sat`s to be honest. I dunno if that was just this course but we only had 2 or 3 Sat`s off during our first 8 week term. It seems like a really worthwhile course though. 2 terms of 8 weeks then 12 weeks. Loads of CA and all of the content is up to date so I cant complain. Im really looking forward to finishing in January though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimiwhizz

hi there i am seriously considering this course at the moment but I was wondering about a couple of things. on the itb website there seems to be some conflicting information regarding the length of the course. on one page it says one year (2 semesters) and on another page it says two years (4 semesters) so i was thinking that one must be full time and the other part-time however this is not specifically stated anywhere on the site as far as i can see. another thing I was wonderng was if there is a two year option are the fees quoted per year or for the whole course?

thanks a million!

James

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pumpit2010

jimiwhizz wrote: »
    hi there i am seriously considering this course at the moment but I was wondering about a couple of things. on the itb website there seems to be some conflicting information regarding the length of the course. on one page it says one year (2 semesters) and on another page it says two years (4 semesters) so i was thinking that one must be full time and the other part-time however this is not specifically stated anywhere on the site as far as i can see. another thing I was wonderng was if there is a two year option are the fees quoted per year or for the whole course?

thanks a million!

James

I have done a good bit of research on the course. The fees are for the full course.part time it is over 3 semesters.tax relief available.

I think ronan may be doing the course full time as part of the blue brick programme.people were accepted into this in may and it is full time for 6 months i think, but stand to be corrected on it.

Part time will start in Sept. 3 modules per semester.been finding it difficult to get info on which modules will be available.depends on numbers and lecturer availability.

Main feedback i am getting is the workload is very heavy but course is excellent. trying to cram a level 8 qualification into this 3 semesters.

• Advertisement

Yeah I did it through bluebrick. It's a level 8 qualification that I will get. Started in May, finished in Jan. That's with all the exams done n dusted. It's really hard going but seems to be worthwhile. I'm enjoying it anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ottolo

Has anyone done the higher diploma in Science and Computing at Griffith College?

It's a 9 month course.

Thinking about taking this course and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it.

Thanks

hi again

thanks for the info ronan6700 and pumpit2010, its very much appreciated!

Another thing I would like to ask is whether you have any tips in terms of preparing for the course ahead of time. I got word last week that I have a place (which is fantastic!) so im thinking now would be a good time to start familiarising myself with some of the material covered. I have no experience whatsoever so I think it could certainly be beneficial.

Thanks again

James

Thats great you got a place.. When does it start? The first 5 modules are. Computer Architecture, Software Engineering(Java), Communications and Networks, Database Modelling and Web design. The subject I found the hardest was Java, if you have no experience of it(like me) then it might be a good idea to read up on it, I think that would be a good start and might give you a hand. I finished my first set of exams last week and we are back for the 2nd and last semester in about 3 weeks. All going good so far but it is a serious amount of work!! Looking forward to finishing up but hoping it will be all worth while.

Ronan6700 wrote: »
    Thats great you got a place.. When does it start? The first 5 modules are. Computer Architecture, Software Engineering(Java), Communications and Networks, Database Modelling and Web design. The subject I found the hardest was Java, if you have no experience of it(like me) then it might be a good idea to read up on it, I think that would be a good start and might give you a hand. I finished my first set of exams last week and we are back for the 2nd and last semester in about 3 weeks. All going good so far but it is a serious amount of work!! Looking forward to finishing up but hoping it will be all worth while.

Thanks! Registration is the week of the 24th of September so not long to go now. Really looking forward to getting stuck into this. Thanks again for the advice I'll definitely take a look at java to get the ball rolling.
    May I ask what you're planning to do when you graduate? Is there much scope for employment straight out of the course? Are you aware of where previous students have ended up?
    Best of luck either way and thanks again!
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Puskas79

Hi

I have started this course, part time this year. Unfortunately I got called away with work for the past 2 weeks and am away for another 3 weeks. This means I missed the first Saturday tutorial, am a little lost as regards with what to expect from this course and how it is laid out. I registered for this course as I knew I would travel a bit but that I would be able to still view lectures and course content on line. At the moment I have sent out several emails to different people in the college and have left voice mails with others but am getting no response at all.

If anyone could give me and help or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Philip

jimiwhizzskas79;81048008]Hi

I have started this course, part time this year. Unfortunately I got called away with work for the past 2 weeks and am away for another 3 weeks. This means I missed the first Saturday tutorial, am a little lost as regards with what to expect from this course and how it is laid out. I registered for this course as I knew I would travel a bit but that I would be able to still view lectures and course content on line. At the moment I have sent out several emails to different people in the college and have left voice mails with others but am getting no response at all.

If anyone could give me and help or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Philip[/Quote]

Hi Philip

Contact Irene Murtagh as soon as you can.
    Irene.Murtagh@itb.ie

She is our course co-ordinator. If you can't reach her then try to make it in on Saturday the 13th of October at 9:30 which is our next day of lectures and labs.

Hope this helps

James

Hi James

That's great that you went for it and got a place. I decided to defer applying until sept 2013 as getting married next march and felt it might have coincided with a busy time of the semester.

From looking at comments on the course on the itb site it seems that they have extended the course slightly. Is it now 3 semesters of lectures with an additional semester to do a project. Previously it was only 3 semesters in total. Is this the case?

Is there a lot of maths in the java module?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Apostle1

I'm on this course too, and finding it pretty good but can be tough to keep up with all the coursework <email snipped>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The workload on the distance learning version of that course was massive. I did it for a while but had to drop out for a variety of reasons. On the class I was on there was a huge drop out rate. Most of the lecturers were really good and most of the subjects were great too and enthusiastic . But I think they seriously under state the workload. We were all working, and the people who seemed to stay on track were those who could a few weeks off on a regular basis to complete projects and exercises. The course seemed a little uncoordinated with regards to scheduling projects and such. Perhaps its improved in that regard since though. Thats the distance version. Perhaps its a lighter load doing it full time.

Hi bostonb

when did you do the course?

Does anyone currently on the distance course have any comments regarding the structure, schedule and work load?

I think 5 or 6 yrs ago. The experience put me doing a course like that again. Primarily because I don't have the free time. In future I'll stick to short concise bursts, like certification certs.

It is a big commitment for the 2 years alright.

We're you working in IT at the time? I am hoping to use the course as a platform to help me move into the IT area.

Me? Yes. I wasn't doing the course for that reason. So I have no idea if it worked for people doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amunag

Hello,

May I know when do we receive the results of the assessment for this course please.I had one last week and the course is to start very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amunag

Hi Everyone,May I know whether this course includes work placement and also are there good employment opportunities once we complete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone who has completed this conversion course would have any feedback -

Is the workload heavy - especially for non tech grads

Has anyone managed to gain employment from doing the course

Has anyone gone onto do a masters with it

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

How many days per week is the full time HDip computing ICT conversion course?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Thinking of doing this course next year. Just wondering what job prospects are? Any one get a job directly after graduation. I'm living in Ashbourne so will have to look into public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to college part time next year and completing the higher diploma in science in computing. I currently have an ordinary bachelor degree but I've been finding a lot of jobs closed off because I don't have a honours degree. My question is; is the Higher Diploma equivalent to the Honours degree as they are both Hetac Level 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I'm 99% sure that a higher diploma is the same as a degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Thinking of doing this course next year. Just wondering what job prospects are? Any one get a job directly after graduation. I'm living in Ashbourne so will have to look into public transport.

I'd say job prospects would be good. Alot of the "operating system" stuff is UNIX, and the first semester is build around the first LPI (linux cert) exam, you might be able to gain certs at the same time doing this course.

I'm interested but work full time, I'm terrified of dropping the cash and burning out real quick. Currently doing a part-time course on Wednesday evenings and it can be a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

The Maths module is down as an elective module on the website, is that still the case?

Advertisement