Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New installation: Wired Alarm System

Options
  • 30-08-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

My apology if I am asking questions which are answered before but things can change and I want to make sure to get things right.

I am currently looking into getting an alarm system installed in my house and consider doing it myself. As I have seen in this forum a lot of very valuable advice given already I hope over time to get through all my questions in this threat and have the 'perfect' alarm system installed. So first I would like to get the legal side cleared:

- Am I allowed in Ireland to install an alarm system for my self or does it need to be installed from some certified guys?

- Will a DIY system have any implication on the home insurance?

- Anything else I have to consider regards the legal side?

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can self install.
    Insurance will be fine once you it is clarified on your policy that it does not conform to standards or better still leave the alarm off your policy alltogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Meteor67

Thanks Koolkid,
    I am glad to got this confirmed.

Now to the technical side of the story.

As mentioned before I am looking for a wired system as the house is prewired - hopefully all cables are OK. It's a 4 bed semi.

This is roughly what I have in mind:

- Operating panel at the front door
    - French door to the back
    - Door with window on side of it to the balcony
    - 10 windows
    - 2 roof windows
    - 2 PIR
    - Bell box to the front and back
    - Possibly an emergency button in the bedroom
    - some kind of message system to the phone

Am I forgetting something?
    What are my options for the message system?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For alerts and notifications IP is the way to go now.
    Using GSD or Siemens you can set up free notifications and use free apps for for full remote control off the system. These systems would also give you free polling with notifications after 5 minutes or less of a comms failure.

I am looking into the Siemens system. Looks good to me, perhaps a little over the top.

Just a first question to it:

As it is a hybrid one and I won't have any wireless components: Is it possible to disable the Wi-Fi part? I got told this is possible with the HKC one. Not sure though.

You mean disable the wireless. Yes with Siemens you can leave the wireless off alltogether.

• Advertisement

OK, I will start putting together the shopping list.

1 x SPC 5320.320-L1 (certainly over the top but there seems to be only a small price difference to the smaller ones)
    1 x 7,2 Ah rechargeable battery pack
    1 x SPCK 520.100-N

I am not sure if the software and the cable to the laptop needs to be purchased separate.

I am also trying to figure out what I need extra for the IP system.

Any recommendation for the PIR's? If possible without any flashing LED's or so as one will be close to the bedroom door which is mostly open. Are the ones recommended with the combined Microwave?

The 4320 panel is IP enabled that panel will connect directly to your network via Ethernet connection on board.
    Go for the SPK521 keypad . Very little cost difference but you get audio & multi card reader.
    You will get a disc with the configuration software but the version may be outdated once you upgrade the panel to 3-6-6 . We can get you the latest version if required.
    Even without software the panel can be fully configured via the built in web browser. Unlike other panels SPC give you full access to this directly.
    Most good PiRs come with the option to disable the PiRs
    I like the SPC ones, a nice finish and look & perform well
    s54531f107a100_admqxa12t_026_01_400x400.jpg
    Duel tec (with microwave) would only be needed if subject to drafts or large temperature fluctuations ie conservatory or garage etc.

What is the difference between the ADM-Q12 and the ADM-Q12T?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

" Possibly an emergency button in the bedroom "

I took out my panic button in bedroom and rewired for another keypad. Much easier to control from the bedroom and you don't have to go downstairs to turn off or turn on. Wife was much happier also with this option. I think most keypads have a panic option.

Gary

Meteor67 wrote: »
    What is the difference between the ADM-Q12 and the ADM-Q12T?

Anti Masking is the main one

http://rspl.web.ie/product_detail/E11ADMQ12/138

http://rspl.web.ie/product_detail/E11ADMQ12T/138

All Siemens/Vanderbilt keypads have a built in panec button.

• Advertisement

Hi KoolKid,

I have seen the links but I am not sure what Anti Masking is meaning.

Hi
    Anti masking detects attempts to blind the detector when the system is unset. Depending on the detector, either microwave, or active infrared, or both methods are used to detect attempts to blind the detector by placing objects in its field of view or spraying it with paint etc. thereby allowing an intruder to enter the premises at a later date without being detected.

Great, another question answered. My wish / shopping list is getting complete.

What's missing now are the door and window contacts.

Any suggestions for reliable good quality ones? In my old house we had to replace most of them after 5 or 6 years because of too many false alarms.

For combined shock & contact I find the Aritech GS613 the most reliable
    G02GS613.jpg

For contacts I prefer maxhunt/CQR junction box contacts
    M04B020W.jpg
    or prewired contacts if the application suits
    img_DC101.jpg

Any suggestions with regards the cheapest/best supplier? REW is not far but for this money I can drive around Dublin if I can safe a bit.

There wouldn't be much in it between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gheorge

Why not try a Zwave system, I have one and I am so happy that I can control my House Alarm from anywhere from my laptop or telephone. The App is free and is awesome. Once you installed properly you will not have issues. Also with this system you can control your electricity and temperature in your house. Search online, there is a site in uk from where I purchase, they will advise you and help you to choose the correct system. Also you can add any time more devices. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Hi Gheorge,

I have ordered the SPC4320 and will start installing it end of next week.

I hope everything works out well and if problems arise I will get some help here on the forum.

Hi Gheorge,

I have ordered the SPC4320 and will start installing it end of next week.

I hope everything works out well and if problems arise I will get some help here on the forum.

A good choice Meteor. If you need any help with it come back to us.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Does anybody have the manual for the SPCK521 key pad? Unfortunately my one came without it.

Also my SPC PRO is version 3.4.5. Is this the current version?

I PMed you SPC Pro v360.
    Haven't seen a PDF manual of those keypads yet.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Now I am at the wiring.

Unfortunately the windows on each floor are all wired in series. For example 3 windows plus French doors - probably two sensors required - in one loop.
    I have HKC sensors with shock and contact and the cables have 8 wires. What would be the best way to wire them? Perhaps I can split them up in different zones even if it is one loop??

OK, I think I get that now. 8 wires should be alright for 4 windows. That should do the trick. I think I will go for that but in this case I need the expander for more inputs. Any idea how much they are?

The SPC is only prepared for one bellbox. I am thinking of putting a second one to the back, perhaps only a strobe. There is a cable with 4 wires. Could I just use a normal output for a strobe light? Does anyone know a reasonable good looking strobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 littlered

This all sounds great. I just bought a small house in Dublin with 4 Windows and two doors. The electrician has wired for an alarm but I don't know who to go. I want all you just mentioned with free app and gsm dialler etc. I don't think I could do myself, do you know how I could get it done without charging an arm and leg? By sounds of things if you can buy online shouldnybe that expensive? Sorry this probably seems like a really dumb question. I don't want f ancy

Hi littlered,

I am not an expert but I have the feeling that the SPC panel is a little to big for your house. Saying that I am so far very happy with it. But II am still in the middle of the installation.

You can put more bellboxs on the SPC panels. You parallel the power and outputs and series in the bell hold off and tamper return.
    The SPC 4320 is a domestic panel. I would not class it as too big for any job.
    The Pyronix Delta Bell is a good bell with a good strobe.

• Advertisement

Thanks KoolKid, another issue sorted.

Things are going well and now I am up to the last part: PIR's.

I got a little confused here. I have the ADM-Q12 PIR's. They are without the EOL resistors and I thought I have to put them in. Then I saw the AO-PE02 PCB's for plugging in. I got them now but the sales guy told me that they are not required for the Siemens SPC boards.
    What's the correct and best way to wire them up now? I have a separate cable with 8 cores for some of them and looped cables for others, means I have to "safe" wires.

Advertisement