Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DesireHD - Can someone give us a review already??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

JustinOval wrote: »
    Isn't there one on it already? Widgets > settings > mobile network?

Was thinking along the lines of an on/off button. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

wernstrom! wrote: »

It is an on/off button, long press and add it to your home screen.

S_Mobile_Network_Widget.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

wow, that's just lazy... In the sense that you didn't even bother to check the advice given. In fact you didn't even bother to look at your phone before asking - you didn't read the manual. You didn't even bother to watch some of the swanky movies that HTC produce so you don't have to read the manual...

...& then when someone gives you the answer you were looking for, you don't even bother to check it out. If you want, I'll take the phone from you, answer all your calls, look things up on the internet for you... actually no I won't.

JustinOval wrote: »
    It is an on/off button, long press and add it to your home screen.
    ]

So it does. I just expected something that more clearly says on/off.

Thanks.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    wow, that's just lazy...

Yeah, convenience is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DaSchmo wrote: »
    90% charge in 30 mins?? I'd be lucky to get 10% in that time if even - there must be some kind of hardware issue with my device or the battery that came with it!

As I mentioned before, I'm not new to the smartphone thing, been tring lots of stuff - have screen brightness turned right down, no gps, wifi, practically nothing sync'ing, all the usual tricks etc etc. Task killer is actually counterproductive on this version of Android as it just starts the apps back up again and actually drains even more battery...

Combining this slow charge issue with the fact that the battery discharges so quickly means the phone is rendered pretty much useless as when the battery runs down you cant re-charge it quickly enough to actually get out and do stuff with it - I am giving this phone one week from when I purchased (last wednesday) to sort itself out, otherwise it's back to VF stores to get myself a new one.

Charging it from a PC is many times slower than charging it from the wall, incidentally. I don't know which way you are doing it, but it's worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaSchmo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Charging it from a PC is many times slower than charging it from the wall, incidentally. I don't know which way you are doing it, but it's worth considering.

True but I am talking about charging from wall with HTC charger - there seemed to be some improvement last night wereby the charge stayed the same when browsing the web and plugged into the wall, still went up incredibly slowly when left alone though.

On the upside, the actual standby battery drain seems much better today, in fairness I have barely used the phone, just about all i have done so far is checked a facebook mail and the battery is currently 90% having been off the charger since 7.50 this morning (now 13.03) so is only really dropping 2% per hour on standby with wifi off, 3g on, facebook and mail set to very slow sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Inquitus wrote: »

True yeah, I remember on my iPhone 3G the battery would seem to drain quicker if it was charged via USB rather than the socket also :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

I know I have not used the phone an awful lot but 46 hrs on and still 30% battery left
    Mugen will have a higher capacity battery for the HD in late Nov, think about 1400-1500 mAh

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I was just on checking the vodafone website and the desire hd has dropped from the 229 I paid when it first came out to 189 luckily I have sent mine back and I am getting a refund so if I do decide to buy it again I can get it for 189 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Hada strange experience w/ my DHD this morning walking to college. Was listening to the mp3 player w/ the phone (screen locked) in my pocket was going perfect then all of sudden it start skipping tracks and fast forwarding through songs and heres the weird one, calling the person on the top of my recently dialled list, anyone any idea why/solution??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

DGRulz wrote: »
    Hada strange experience w/ my DHD this morning walking to college. Was listening to the mp3 player w/ the phone (screen locked) in my pocket was going perfect then all of sudden it start skipping tracks and fast forwarding through songs and heres the weird one, calling the person on the top of my recently dialled list, anyone any idea why/solution??

put the screen lock on before putting it in your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

As I said above I had the screen lock and the pattern lock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Funny you should say that, my Desire (old one) makes phantom calls now and again, when locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

DGRulz wrote: »

Were you using headphones with a volume button etc? Maybe it was being pressed?
    Had the iPhone headphones plugged into my HD this morning. Tried to turn up the vol while listening to the radio, but ended up ringing my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey all,
    are there any more up to date reviews on this? Every review I have read has said, the phone is excellent - except for the battery, engadget also stated some problems with the videos.
    With all the updates / people reporting battery conditions improving, surely the reviews must be more positive now.

For example; engadget placed the DHD at 3rd place behind the iPhone 4 and original Desire - due to poor battery performance and video playback issues. I'm guessing these have both been resolved now? So where would this place the DHD?

Also I'm seriously considering buying either the DHD or an iPhone4 this week, are there any other independant comparisons of these?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Also I'm seriously considering buying either the DHD or an iPhone4 this week, are there any other independant comparisons of these?

This video is pretty good if you're trying to explain what an Android OS can do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQl-8Tm9AoQ
    The guy has a iPhone right beside the DHD and just does the same task on both. Probably too basic for you though. More for people who just want to buy an iPhone because "it plays music"

I've no problem with the battery on my HD. I get at least a day out of it during normal use and a couple of days out of it if I'm just using it for phone calls.
    For example I've taken mine off charge this morning around 7AM. Now (about 9 hours later) it's showing 69% free. I've only made / received 13 calls on it and sent / received a similar amount of texts today. Each call was < 5 mins.
    When it's not in use I turn everything off so there's no mobile data / WiFi / Bluetooth. These can be turned on in a second with a widget so there's no need to have them on constantly.
    I'm using a Task Killer that turns off piles of apps. A lot of people say this kills your battery but I haven't had that experience.

Video plays fine on it using ArcMedia. If I'm playing AngryBirds you can nearly see the battery counter ticking down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I just got one last week from clove.
    Its my third android phone and Ive came from an iphone 4 to it and most definitly would never go back.

I've been using 3G/Wifi throughout the day,an hour or 2 of music via headphones, about 100 texts a day and the odd phone call and some angry birds and my battery is lasting 24hrs no problem. The biggest drain seems to be the screen brightness which admittedly I have had fairly bright, but other than that Im finding the battery fairly simular to my last few phones.

Only downside I have with it is the external speaker is abit pants, I would have expected better but thats my only real gripe tbh and its not enough to put me off the phone.

The phone seems super quick out of the box and I also dont have usb debugging turned on as I wanted to see if I would get the INIT process drain/lag which I havn't.

No problem at all with the proximity sensor on mine either.

Im wondering if there was a component issue with the early release handsets that people had as I dont seem to have had any of the problems with my own thankfully.

I also bought this skin to protect the rear from here -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150506305124&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Came with a free screen protecter and cost just under €4, fits the phone spoyt on and doesnt add any additional bulk to the handset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I am thinking of getting my first Android phone - I have always had Nokias I currently have N97 mini (drives me nuts) have had to get 2 replacement sets as the touchscreen broke. I am looking to get the HTC desire HD - I am not that techy but have a few questions.
    One of the reasons I always had Nokias was because of the camera and video was quite good- what is it like on Desire HD would be as good/better?
    Will it be easy for me to get my contacts/photos over from my nokia?
    How much are memory cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I've no problem with the battery on my HD. I get at least a day out of it during normal use and a couple of days out of it if I'm just using it for phone calls.
    For example I've taken mine off charge this morning around 7AM. Now (about 9 hours later) it's showing 69% free. I've only made / received 13 calls on it and sent / received a similar amount of texts today. Each call was < 5 mins.
    When it's not in use I turn everything off so there's no mobile data / WiFi / Bluetooth. These can be turned on in a second with a widget so there's no need to have them on constantly.
    I'm using a Task Killer that turns off piles of apps. A lot of people say this kills your battery but I haven't had that experience.

Sorry could you tell me what app you are using to control this?

greenfly wrote: »
    Sorry could you tell me what app you are using to control this?

Sure, the HTC widgets do a lot of those (check in the settings submenu of widgets).

But I installed this too.
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/free-power-widget/at.abraxas.powerwidget.free

It's a bit naggy in the notification area (I should really buy it) but it's nice being able to customise the buttons you'll use most often.

• Advertisement

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting my first Android phone - I have always had Nokias I currently have N97 mini (drives me nuts) have had to get 2 replacement sets as the touchscreen broke. I am looking to get the HTC desire HD - I am not that techy but have a few questions.
    One of the reasons I always had Nokias was because of the camera and video was quite good- what is it like on Desire HD would be as good/better?

I can't answer the camera bits as any photo I ever take is good enough for me. I'd no problems with the N97 camera and the shots I've taken on the HD are fine with me also.

But for the contacts they're easy. I had to transfer a load recently. As far as I can remember I used Bluetooth or I might have exported them all to the SIM card. I can't remember which (I know I tried both but can't remember which one succeeded) but I remember it only took about 10 mins to figure out.

For the photos that's the same as any other data. You can either put the MicroSD card from the N97 into the HD or copy the photos to a PC and then down to the phone.

TBH,i think the video is a little choppy

Camera... seems to be a wider range of settings than i had on my N97, or my N900. Whereas Nokia cameras have sometimes had an issue with colors being just slightly washed out looking, by default the camera on the HD seems a little over-saturated.

It's still a very serviceable camera, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Camera... seems to be a wider range of settings than i had on my N97, or my N900. Whereas Nokia cameras have sometimes had an issue with colors being just slightly washed out looking, by default the camera on the HD seems a little over-saturated.

Would you ever go back to a Nokia?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

I love the phone... Would never go back to nokia... I find the battery ok get a day and a half with consistent usage over that period. The only down side is the external speaker... its pants... hard to hear ring tones notifications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I dont have the link to hand but I saw people complain of video frame rate problems before that was sorted out with a format of the sd card which might be the problem you have.

Ill post the link when I get a chance if you cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I would like to get either the;

HTC Desire or

HTC Desire (HD)

Can anyone tell me which is the best to go for?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

HTC Desire or

HTC Desire (HD)

Thanks

Go for the HD. bigger screen and a few tweaks compared to the standard desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

HTC Desire or

HTC Desire (HD)

Thanks

Hey Batteies, Im in the same boat at you.

Currently have a desire, will either replace it with a new desire,, or the HD.

I don't really see the HD as an upgrade of the desire..its pretty much the same, yeah its got a bigger screen, but the same pixel count as the original desire, so the original desire actually has a better quality screen...

I know the HD apparently has a better processor even though they are both 1ghz...

Im thinking that the HD is a bit on the big side too, but I think Ill go with the HD, for a change.

In your case, I can tell you the original desire is excellent..so it would be purely based on which screen size you would rather, as apart from that I dont think the HD has a whole lot to offer over the desire..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I had the N97 mini, now have the Desire HD. Would never go back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

In the middle of deciding whether to go for a Z or a HD.

Don't see a lot of love about for the Z, anybody any opinions?

(Off Topic: Just after spending the morning putting my Hero back to Stock from VillianRom 12. A lot harder to do than it was to root it, and mess about with Roms!)

Advertisement