Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DesireHD - Can someone give us a review already??

• 26-10-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

so there definitely are a few of ye with the HD's now (lucky gits:P)

give us a review so.... pwetty please/.

im very curious about the battery and the screen, how "washed out" is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Check the "Desire HD Slow boot" thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Couldnt be much quicker than this long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

I made a short review for the xda forums, will paste it here!
    It is a wonderful device.

To offer a little perspective; I'm coming from an iPhone 3G. I do like the weight of the phone, it feels very solid, and the aluminium feels great. Overall build quality is fantastic.

It's definitely brown and does look black in certain conditions (the back). This colour actually looks distinct and really nice.

I didn't have much trouble getting the battery cover off, the instructions in the manual are wrong for the sim card tray though, you need to pull it from the sides and it comes off no problem.

As I said I've come from the old iPhone, and the one thing that's stunned me is the speed of the device, it's so quick and fluid. Sense looks great too.

The display colours are a tad washed out as people have mentioned, but it's more natural and nothing to worry about. It's sharp, but not as much so as the iPhone 4 display, I haven't seen the SGS screen yet up close. I love the size of this one though.

Thats a short summary of my few minutes trying it out and examining the outside, letting the battery take a good charge now, will report back anything else worth mentioning!

I played around with it some more once it was charged (Angry Birds!) and am still impressed, battery is better than I expected! I heard some awful things like people only getting 3 hours on first charge? I've been using it on and off since around 5.20PM, moderate usage, and it's just below 50% now.

HTCsense.com doesn't seem to be up and running yet, you can register and login but the various functions don't work.

Will answer any questions if you have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MrGarak wrote: »
    I played around with it some more once it was charged (Angry Birds!) and am still impressed, battery is better than I expected! I heard some awful things like people only getting 3 hours on first charge? I've been using it on and off since around 5.20PM, moderate usage, and it's just below 50% now.

Really tempted to get this phone but my biggest concern is the battery life and I think that's brutal even for a first charge. Moderate usage on and off for just over 5 hours shouldn't eat over half the battery.

True that, it's not great compared to some other devices.

According to people at xda who have had them around a week or so it generally lasts a full day, depending on what you do with it. It seems like these batteries really have to be 'broken in' over a few days. :P Fairly strange!

I'll keep updating on how mine is going anyway.

• Advertisement

True that, it's not great compared to some other devices.

According to people at xda who have had them around a week or so it generally lasts a full day, depending on what you do with it. It seems like these batteries really have to be 'broken in' over a few days. :P Fairly strange!

I'll keep updating on how mine is going anyway.

Ya I've been reading that thread, the guy being pleased with 7% battery per hour is the type of thing that's raising further questions. Seriously, why couldn't HTC at least put a 1500mAh battery in it?

Yeah makes no sense at all, I'd like to hear them explain why they settled for this battery. Maybe they want to sell loads of the replacement/spare batteries. :p

The device obviously doesn't review as well if the battery isn't up to scratch though. It would be nice if a 1500mAh replacement was released by a third party, don't know if it would be possible to do it the same size as these ones that it comes with, they leave no room for anything bigger to fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tech radar have put up a fairly comprehensive review here

Their main gripe was the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Ok I only have mine since 6 today. Spent most of the day syncing contacts from google and then trying to get there pics from syncing with facebook. I ended up with 2 forms of sync from facebook ie. facebook sync and htc sense facebook sync and even then I didnt get all the photos and had to do the rest manually.

When I got the phone it had one bar of battery I let it run down and charged it again. Overall I have alot to learn with it as I am came from a 3GS but nothing a few days playing and reading wont sort out.

So far my only down points are:

1/When you go to your main dial screen it has all my contacts and their numbers there plus all my facebook friends and their numbers. I dont want all the facebook friends numbers coming up as most I dont ring I only want the numbers from my main contacts.

2/One of the widgets which is the friends one I cant add friends to it who I have added their facebook pics. Now I maybe doing something wrong but thats annoying me.

3/When in the main dial page and you press the phonebook to see contacts it doesnt go to them instantly there is some lag. Lag is not something I expected with this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

funnyclub wrote: »
    1/When you go to your main dial screen it has all my contacts and their numbers there plus all my facebook friends and their numbers. I dont want all the facebook friends numbers coming up as most I dont ring I only want the numbers from my main contacts.

You can change this from the settings within the dialler.
    2/One of the widgets which is the friends one I cant add friends to it who I have added their facebook pics. Now I maybe doing something wrong but thats annoying me.
    Sounds like you haven't added the correct widget.
    3/When in the main dial page and you press the phonebook to see contacts it doesnt go to them instantly there is some lag. Lag is not something I expected with this phone.
    Sounds odd. This doesn't happen on the Desire, so I can't see why it would on the HD. But unless something has changed, you can scroll through all your contacts from the dialler!?

As a matter of interest, and if you don't mind my asking, how much was the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Trusted Reviews gave it a run down. Despite a strangely negative review they are calling it the 'Best Smartphone on the Market'.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2010/10/21/HTC-Desire-HD/p1

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    You can change this from the settings within the dialler.

Sounds like you haven't added the correct widget.

Sounds odd. This doesn't happen on the Desire, so I can't see why it would on the HD. But unless something has changed, you can scroll through all your contacts from the dialler!?

As a matter of interest, and if you don't mind my asking, how much was the phone?

Just on your points:

1/ Can ya tell me how

2/ When I select widget i go to people and the screen is added to my main screen. Then when I try add people to it, it goes into my contacts but the only ones I can select are ones that are not sync'd with facebook.

3/I paid 229 on bill with Vodafone for it.

To be honest I think its ok but I am have tempted to see if I can return it for a Iphone 4 :confused:

Ok a bit of an update. I have read a few places about the setup guide on the htc desire hd when ya 1st turn it on. Well basically when I 1st turned mine on it never did that for me so I did everything manually. So I decided to restore the phone. By restoring the phone I lost all my contacts and apps I downloaded.

This time when it started up it went through a setup process. Now the lag I experienced when pressing the phonebook button is gone :D
    And the other things I complained about not being able to do are sorted as well.
    Well apart from having all the contact details of all my facebook friends on the dial up screen.
    Also the apps that were all delete were reinstalled so I didnt have to do that.

By the way before I did all this I checked for a software update and there is one.

So for people who dont read my full post.

****THERE IS A DESIRE HD SOFTWARE UPDATE******:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I have it since Saturday and find it the dog's....:D
    Battery life ok so far and no lags anywhere (apart from small one on boot-up0

It's my first serious smart phone usage but am definitely impressed so far.....

will report back with more when I get used to it..

funnyclub wrote: »

****THERE IS A DESIRE HD SOFTWARE UPDATE******:D

That's for the proximity sensor issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Got mine a couple of hours ago (Vodafone PAYG €480). It's currently charging and I'm very tempted to just turn it on and start playing but considering the battery life concerns I'm just gonna have to resist and do it right.

Was hemming and hawing about getting a Micro SD card while buying the phone but said I'd pick one up another time. Lucky for me as I discovered when I went about putting in the SIM that the phone contained a free 8GB Micro SD :)

Obviously I can't really review the phone as yet but the only thing I can say is it really is BIG, even if I thought I had prepared myself for it's size.

That's for the proximity sensor issues.

Ya just said I would I would post it for people that didnt realize there was a update available.

While I'm here...

Does anyone know if you can buy a spare battery for the Desire HD in Dublin? I realize you can buy them online but I don't have a credit card.

irishbuzz wrote: »
    While I'm here...

Does anyone know if you can buy a spare battery for the Desire HD in Dublin? I realize you can buy them online but I don't have a credit card.

Not sure but if a spare battery was bought is there a way of charging the battery externally?

Engadget just released their review...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/htc-desire-hd-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Yeah makes no sense at all, I'd like to hear them explain why they settled for this battery. Maybe they want to sell loads of the replacement/spare batteries. :p

So they can sell us a new improved model 6 months from now. Never do your job so well that people don't want any more of your products/services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The battery issue is a bigger deal than i think people are making it out to be. dont get me wrong, it looks like a fantastic phone, but you're going to be overwhelmed by its "awesomeness" to care much for the small issues. i think i might have to wait a little long for a better phone.
    (FYI im using a Hero, and the battery can last around 20 hours, but at an absolute push with everything turned off for most of it, which is very annoying, and is not how i like to use my phone.) even on my usual 12-14 hour charge, i get annoyed at how fast the thing drains.

and everywhere is saying that the screen is washed out, but i guess id have to see it first hand to tell if its still ok to live with.

roll on the Z i guess, or the Playstation phone, or some specifically gingerbread phones.

i wouldnt want to enter an 18 month contract with something thats battery could only get worse from here, and knowing that better true next gen phones should be out very soon.

EDIT: can anyone tell us what the music playback is like? i really hope its improved alot since the Hero.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Those Playstation Phone pics are a hoax - confirmed by sony this afternoon. :)

Those Playstation Phone pics are a hoax - confirmed by sony this afternoon. :)

Engadget just replied to the above...
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/the-playstation-phone-is-still-real/

Is it best to charged you phone while off or on, or does it make a difference once ya leave it plugged in till fully charged?

Engadget just released their review...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/htc-desire-hd-review/

All the reviews say the same thing...

1. Poor Battery life
    2. Battery/sim covers fit are poor and feel cheap.
    3. Poor loudspeaker.
    4. Poor ergonomics on the buttons.

I didn't realize that the EVO 4G had a 1500 mAh battery, and thats got a serious reputation as a juice guzzler, so it makes the HD battery decision all the more bizarre. It's no good having a massively powerful handset if you're constantly having to throttle the thing. For all Nokia's problems, you can't fault their understanding that a phone is a mobile communications tool, that needs to be able to function away from a power source over a decent time frame.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Z or the SGS.

edit. I'm focusing on the negatives here, rather than the many positives of the device.

I charged my battery last night before going to bed and when I woke up it was dead, something weird must have happened, I got a call and a text so maybe the screen stayed on or something, It's just reached a full charge again so I will disconnect and see how things go.

I think Engadget's review was rather harsh, I would give it an 8. It's certainly not perfect but I love it. It's kinda unfair that they always rate Apple products so highly. My brother has the iPhone 4 and I just came from a 3G and much prefer this than the iPhone overall.

edit:

A guy from Northern Ireland had been testing one he was given for about a week, then got a new contract one and has noticed the battery life improving drastically over time, he said today:
    quick update:

day 2 of new handset. first day had 34% when arrving home from work and today (14:14) 90% battery so far- I am impressed!

Another quick update:

84% battery as of now. Im seriously gobsmacked with this new device!

He was reporting it as being poor initially, so things look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is that bezel from the case which overlaps the screen annoying?

If you mean the aluminium of the body around the edges screen I don't find it to be a problem, it's not sharp or very noticeable on mine.

I think on the review from Hemorrdroids they said it was sharp and bothered them. Maybe some of the other DHD owners here can chip in on how theirs is.

edit-

The thing bothering me the most is actually how flush the unlock button at the top is with the body of the device, very hard to press.

• Advertisement

massively powerful handset if you're constantly having to throttle the thing. For all Nokia's problems, you can't fault their understanding that a phone is a mobile communications tool, that needs to be able to function away from a power source over a decent time frame.

Before the first, or was it second?, firmware update the battery life on the N95 8gb was pretty dire.

The N97 and N900 didn't do to well in that area either.

The bezel edges. Cause me no trouble at all, and based on my experience with the phone i don't know how they could be a source of frustration to anybody but the most most nitpicky of people.

Battery and sim cover: Yes they are a bit fragile. Unfortunately It's a criticism that could be leveled at a few recent 'high end' phones.

Loudspeaker: Yes it is lacking no defence there.

The apparent lack of any noise cancellation is also somewhat irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

htcsense.com hasnt worked since release i got it to find my phone once rest of the time it says phone finder disabled!

htcsense.com hasnt worked since release i got it to find my phone once rest of the time it says phone finder disabled!

I haven't got that to work yet, they must be still working on it. The button to make the phone ring works though, very handy!

The button to make the phone ring works though, very handy!

I haven't even got that working.

Phone finder is ticked in Location.

What am i doing wrong?

I had to make the account on HTCsense.com and then use the HTC hub app on the phone to confirm details and login, I put my phone number as +35385xxxxxxx because it only had the UK selectable as region.. dunno if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't even have the phone & I'm having problems

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't even have the phone & I'm having problems

This just made me laugh so loud people are looking at me in the office like crazy.

Anyone know how to get rid of duplicate SIM card / phonebook contacts? See attachment.

Id like to know this also so if anyone could help it would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone know how to get rid of duplicate SIM card / phonebook contacts? See attachment.

there are two ways you get your contacts 1) people app 2) HTC contacts widget (shows your favourites)

In use the people app as a broader contacts resource, for instance when I need to contact someone I don't generally have details for.

For my main contacts I use the HTC widget. On the widget, press the list function, this opens the full app. press menu, press view - and the options for which info appears - chose whatever you want.

• Advertisement

Deleting contacts, From the manual

From the Home screen, tap > People.
    On the All tab, press MENU, and then tap Delete.
    Select the contacts you want to delete, and then tap Delete.
    When prompted, tap OK.

Works very well

Also scroll through your contacts, when u find the one you dont want, hit the menu button, brings up an option to delete, best method ive seen so far, its hard work getting used to the phone

After buying the phone I let the battery run down but not completely, its been 26 hours on its first charge, seems the display is the main culprit when it comes to battery drain

Display.........49% (with brightness turned down to about 40%)
    Android OS....29%
    Cell standby....7%
    Voice calls.......7%
    Phone idle........6%
    Android Sys......2%

2 questions please, how to I bring up the battery status and how do I switch 3g off

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

thats the most time that I have seen anyone get, but it looks like it was light usage, did you do any web browsing etc?

Just via WiFi, an hour or more, 30 mins max with the Vodafone network bluetooth & GPS turned off most of the time, playing around with the phone a lot and didnt use airplane mode last night

Updated the firmware right off
    http://www.network.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/10/24/htc-desire-hd-ota-firmware-released/

Last charge lasted until now with less that 10% battery remaining, admit im not a heavy user but messing with the phone a fair bit including a good few hrs WiFi
    Lasted almost 40 hours on the 2nd charge and still not dead, display brightness at abt 30%
    Display.........56%
    Android OS....36%
    Cell standby....3%
    Phone idle........2%
    Android Sys......3%

How are the rest of ye doing ?

Not bad! I hate having the screen brightness set too low so I've had mine up around 75-85% so I think thats drinking my battery a good bit.

Stats for today (day 5 I think)

Display........... 80%
    Sandstorm ......11% (had a short game of it)
    Android System 5%
    Android OS...... 2%
    Mediaserver..... 2%

Not sure the exact number, but got plenty of hours out of it, haven't been using it a huge amount. I'm about to unplug so will take a note of the time and again when it dies tomorrow.

Just ordered a 32 GB C4 card so look forward to seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Hi folks,

I have had the DHD since Wednesday and it's great. But today when the screen goes black/off as usual from some inactivity when I press the button on the top to bring it back to life it just stays black! It stayed black for a few hours, even though I could hear text messages being received. I took off the battery flap and put it back on and the screen worked again then so it is probably not something physically wrong, is there a known issue? I've googled but those problems appear to be with rooted devices, mine is not rooted. Hopefully it is nothing serious as i'd hate to have to give it back to the shop :(

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Might it have been after you took a call? The DHD is said to have some proximity sensor probs

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Baza210 wrote: »
    Might it have been after you took a call? The DHD is said to have some proximity sensor probs

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

Actually now that you mention it, when I make and receive calls the screen seems to go blank/stay lit at random! It looks like it could be the problem discussed in the link above. It was after an outbound call that the screen completely deactivated, looks like I'm off to the shop then so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Htcsense is working perfect for me... wasn't the first day i had the phone.. I emailed them that night ... they sent me back an email that morning saying my account should be working fine.. I logged in and checked it and it was.. so maybe it just needs some time.. also there was stuff it tells you to enable on your phone listed on the site... make sure you've done that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement