Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire "out of stock" in Meteor Store...

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's permanently out of stock...or whether it was ever in stock.

Im due an upgrade.....so Id rather not fork out full cost for a Desire....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

from asking in all the big network shops at the moment there seems to be short supply of it at the moment in ireland and most of europe. having said that vodafone did get some limited stocks in last week according to their forum but only in limited numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Supply problems apparently. It's the AMOLED screen, Samsung aren't selling them enough displays to supply the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ah...so it's not just a Meteor problem....for once.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I got one on Meteor yesterday,but all meteor stores are out of stock, and even when theY do get stock, they have waiting lists. Same goes for Meteor direct sales.

I rang Carphone warehouse(not the store but the general no. that gets you through to some English call centre). They have viability on stock levels for all the stores..yesterday, she told me the branch on Henry st. had 5 or 6 and the Rathmines branch had 1..I stopped her there, rang Rathmines, and the dude there confirmed they were just after receiving one unit, which I reserved.

So I'd say go the CWH route, it's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Thanks muchly!

Mind me asking how much it cost/what plan youre on...and whether you think it was worth it?

E

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    Thanks muchly!

Mind me asking how much it cost/what plan youre on...and whether you think it was worth it?

E

No bother ! The phone cost me 119 (129 -10 trade in old old phone), I'm paying 35 a month for 200 mins,200 texts and 1 gig data on a 12 month contract, or you can pick an 18 month contract and only pay 30 a month.

Definitely worth it , very impressed with the phone , and my previous phone was an iPhone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I put my name down for one in Meteor Dun Laoghaire at the beginning of June, apparently I was third on the list. By about June 20th I'd been ringing around the stores a fair bit and none had any in stock. One or two stores had them but since I was already a meteor customer they wouldn't sell the phone to me (total bullshít). Gave up on meteor and went into carphone warehouse and got one on the spot. Cost me €30 more but fúck it, it was worth it.

Still haven't heard from meteor dun laoghaire, never took my name off their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

cojomo2, did it come with a memory card?
    what size was it?

Jo Satan wrote: »
    cojomo2, did it come with a memory card?
    what size was it?

I did indeed, 4 gig, pre-installed.

It is also unlocked and 100% free of any meteor branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hey Guys,

Had been heading into Meteor in Dun Laoghaire for a while asking them when they'd be getting the Desire in and they were very vague...were never really sure how many handsets or what dates they'd be in on. When I asked if i could go on the waiting list I was told there were already 15 on it. Needless to say I did not bother. Gave up with Meteor and went into CPW Dun Laoghaire on Wednsday. Unfortunately they had none, but told me that Liffey Valley had 9. So, back to the car with me and a drive to CPW Liffey Valley...and within about 1 hour I was the proud owner of a Desire.
    I got an upgrade for €129 on an 18 month contract. Pay €30 a month on the tariff so that's a reduction of about €30 from my old tariff.
    After one full day of use with the Desire I am very impressed. Two things I did notice is the inevitable lack of battery life and also two of my calls were dropped yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Managed to get my paws on one in the CPW on North Earl St yesterday on Meteor. Gold dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

Just wondering if it's permanently out of stock...or whether it was ever in stock.

Exaisle: I was getting the same story from all the networks - "none available for the moment", anyhow, after ringing about 8 dublin stores and put on their list, I decided to ring meteor stores around the country - one of them told me the newbridge branch had one on hold for someone. So I rang them and said I'd take it straight away - so the rep rang the person who it was on hold for and decided not to take it - bingo - I snapped it up big time on an 18 month
    plan @30e inc. 1gb data:D

One other thing - as of last Friday, the O2 Store in Rathfarnham had one in stock (399e speakeasy) - snap that one up if you dont mind being ripped off on one of their plans.:eek:

They guy in the Meteor store in Dun Laoghaire told me that the reason behind the lack of stock is because of the US. A mobile network there bought up a shed load of handsets and as a result there was little left for Europe/Rest of World. Also Meteor are a relatively small fish in a big pond so do not have as much pulling power with suppliers as lets say CPW. CPW can bulk order for both Ireland and UK and just transfer some of the UK stock to Ireland to meet demand. The guy in Meteor said they were hoping to meet demand towards the end of August.
    I was also told that the Volcanic Ash Cloud was an issue when the Desire first came out, but that has (as we know) past by. I think CPW are also doing trade-ins on old phones but not sure if that's on offer when u go for a Desire.
    My advice to anyone is check local meteor/vodafone/02/independent stores. If they don't have them then go to CPW. I got mine in Liffey Valley and was told that if i have any issues i can go to any CPW throughout the country. Have it less than a week and am loving it!! Best phone I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dave_ireland

lang wrote: »
    The guy in Meteor said they were hoping to meet demand towards the end of August.

Thanks for the info, I'm due an upgrade the end of August & am hoping to get my hands on a Desire... Hopefully they (Meteor) will have some in stock by then

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I went into Meteor on Henry St last Thursday, and was told they would have then in stock in a couple of days so I put my name on the waiting list. I went back in on Saturday and still no sign of them, so I went to CPW on the same street and lo and behold, they had a few in stock thankfully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

CPW source their meteor stock from somewhere else(as they use their meteor postpay phones as their "Sim FREE" option's)

so sometimes they get lucky in cases where meteor cant get phones CPW may

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Have my name on the waiting list in Grafton Street. I think i'll be waiting a while so i'll be calling around to CPW soon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Wheres my best chance of finding two desires on meteor in the dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I got mine in the CPW on Henry st last Sunday they told me at the time they had a few left but I've no idea if they have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hey,
    If you go into your local/nearest CPW store you might be lucky. If they don't have it then ask them to check their system to see availability. You may not be able to ring the stores directly as some dont have phone number listed (I know...made for a communications outlet, but due to the busy nature of some stores). Good thing is that if you manage to buy the phone in any CPW and it encounters some problems, you can bring it to any CPW nationwide and they'll deal with you. I'm sure it's the same with Meteor stores......if you can get your hands on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

HTC have announced they are replacing the AMOLED screens with super LCD so it will be back in stock soon - but god knows when meteor get onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

HTC have announced they are replacing the AMOLED screens with super LCD so it will be back in stock soon - but god knows when meteor get onto it.

It's nothing to do with Meteor. Christ, HTC have admitted there is a screen shortage which is leading to stock shortages. Meteor can't buy any if there are none to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

CPW in carrickmines had 3 yesterday on o2.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

apparently the new screens improve battery life:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

- but god knows when meteor get onto it.
    message from meteor to me, 2 hours ago on FB
    @Bobby We're due to get some more stock of the HTC Desire on the week of the 9th August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Popped into the Meteor store on Grafton Street at lunch today and was told it would be at least a month before they get them back in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

anyone know when they will be back in meteor in limerick ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 eyes_alive

Was in with meteor here in Athlone this morning & was told that they are due a shipment of Desire's on the 19th of August... I asked to be put on a reserve list as I am due an upgrade around that date & the guy told me that they are not allowed to reserve... but he said that the demand is very high for them atm... seemingly there are about 100 customers in Athlone waiting on this shipment... so I won't hold my breath for getting my Desire with this shipment...

a visit to the Carphone Warehouse is definately on the cards me thinks! ;)

Advertisement