Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accomodation for 2009/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

hmm, i was looking at some of the photo galleries, and while the ensuite option is very tempting in victoria lodge, i really like the aesthetics of castlewhite! the windows, the river outside...its more old-fashioned and kind of pretty, i was never keen on the modern look:P

anyone any opinions on castlewhite in terms of the social scene, management, problems with sharing a bathroom:P, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Casper89 wrote: »
    hmm, i was looking at some of the photo galleries, and while the ensuite option is very tempting in victoria lodge, i really like the aesthetics of castlewhite! the windows, the river outside...its more old-fashioned and kind of pretty, i was never keen on the modern look:P

anyone any opinions on castlewhite in terms of the social scene, management, problems with sharing a bathroom:P, etc.?

To be honest the best thing about Castlewhite is that its literally on the doorstep of UCC, so you can leave that tedious "waking up for lectures" business until the last minute! ;)
    Sharing a bathroom in Castlewhite is only a problem if you'r living with slobs, my roomates were grand so there were no issues.
    Management are very fond of their random inspections and fire drills, so just remember when an alarm goes off at 8 in the morning! :D

so no nightmare management stories?!:)
    besides their penchant for fire drills:pac:

and i suppose its not exactly party central? but would there be problems having friends over?

so no nightmare management stories?!:)
    besides their penchant for fire drills:pac:

and i suppose its not exactly party central? but would there be problems having friends over?

Only time I had an issue with having friends over was rag week a few weeks ago, you had to get them to sign in at reception or some such...

Some say it has more of a "party" vibe than other campus accommodation areas, but I wouldn't really know since I've only ever lived in Castlewhite so far. In my experience, I've never been kept up at night due to parties...well again, unless you count rag week, which you kinda expect!

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Only time I had an issue with having friends over was rag week a few weeks ago, you had to get them to sign in at reception or some such...

Some say it has more of a "party" vibe than other campus accommodation areas, but I wouldn't really know since I've only ever lived in Castlewhite so far. In my experience, I've never been kept up at night due to parties...well again, unless you count rag week, which you kinda expect!

oo yay that's good. cos my friend is in college up in galway, living in corrib village where she can't sneak in a friend for the life of her, and so it'd be nice that where i'm staying in cork would be a little more accommodating, she'll just have to come down to cork more:pac:

lol, i don't even know if i'd prefer party central or not:p i like to read in peace, but a 'party vibe' is nice too!
    thanks for the replies btw!:)

• Advertisement

ooo, actually, one more question!
    the pictures shown here; http://castlewhite.ucc.ie/accommodation/castlewhite.php?first
    they are accurate? cos i notice the girl in the living room pic is definitely dressed in distinct 90's attire!:pac:
    i read somewhere someone complaining that there is actually no carpet in the living room area like in the photos?
    what i really like are the windows and the layout of the bedroom, so if it in fact no longer looks like that after the refurbishments, i might reconsider:p

It is true that in the living room/kitchen area there isn't any carpet, but the bedroom layout/windows are exactly as they look in those pics. Keep in mind though that the double bedroom and the single bedrooms are slightly different (doubles are obviously a bit more spacious)!

Glad I could help!:D

CommieBaz wrote: »
    It is true that in the living room/kitchen area there isn't any carpet, but the bedroom layout/windows are exactly as they look in those pics. Keep in mind though that the double bedroom and the single bedrooms are slightly different (doubles are obviously a bit more spacious)!

Glad I could help!:D

the one they show is a single bed isn't it?
    and i know this may seem weird, but the curtains are blue?! i have an obsession with the colour is all...lmao:pac:

doubles as in the twin room? cos the site only lists singles and twin room options. twin rooms are two people sharing a room right?
    gosh, i feel so lame asking so many questions!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

Hey does anybody know what time the on-line bookings for castlewhite are available at tomorrow.. I heard they book out in like 10 mins, whats the chances of getting it on-line 2moro??

the one they show is a single bed isn't it?
    and i know this may seem weird, but the curtains are blue?! i have an obsession with the colour is all...lmao:pac:

doubles as in the twin room? cos the site only lists singles and twin room options. twin rooms are two people sharing a room right?
    gosh, i feel so lame asking so many questions!:o

Yup, twin rooms = two people sharing. as for blue curtains....well, my room had blue curtains, but the living area had orange blinds, so you should get what you wanted anyhow!

Also wexhurdler, while I don't know the time the bookings open, I don't think they'd book out in 10 minutes, but it helps to check the site early and often tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

Any opinions on The Village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

They don't book out in ten minutes, you'd have a few days definitely and I think I booked about three weeks after it opened. Mind you, vic lodge and uni hall were booked out by then.

agh! i've been trying to get onto the online application for 45 mins now! starting to panic!:eek:

it better not book out in 10 mins! or i'm already 35 mins late, even though i tried to load up the page at 12 on the dot...so irritating:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DanFarraday

Anyone have any joy with the online application for Vic Lodge yet?? Page wont load and have tried numerous times today, constant Server Application Unavailable page coming up.

farraday, i was trying to get castlewhite and got sent this email:

Urgent Notice: We have just received notification from the IT company that the system on our website is on has crashed.
    We have been asked to relay to you that the application process has being postponed and details of the postponed date will be issued as soon as available.

We would like to apologise for this delay which was beyond our control.
    The notice will be issued on our website and we will endeavour to send you an email with details as well. We are fielding a large amount of calls today and would ask applicants for patience if you cannot get through to us immediately.
    Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DanFarraday

Casper you're a star, thanks for that. Will probably keep an eye out for the rest of the evening just to be sure. I understand there will be a hell of a lot of people looking to book online today but the website crashing, on the opening day???? Its all a bit Irish really isnt it.

you said it...tis heartbreakingly irish:rolleyes:

i all but smashed my head against the screen in zombified frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

Hey,

Anybody get accomidation for definate today??
    My booking form went in at 2.20 havnt got offer yet.. should I be worrying??:confused:

wexhurdler wrote: »
    Hey,

Anybody get accomidation for definate today??
    My booking form went in at 2.20 havnt got offer yet.. should I be worrying??:confused:

Thank God, someone else. I got no confirmation yet:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Mine was in my spam mail, blocked by the filter, so I'd suggest having a look in there.

300 quid paid. Castlewhite first year next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bstoran

anyone got confirmation for vic mills yet?
    i paid the deposit about 2weeks ago but no word yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

bstoran wrote: »
    anyone got confirmation for vic mills yet?
    i paid the deposit about 2weeks ago but no word yet..

I paid the deposit 2 weeks ago too and assumed that the receipt that I printed off after payment was confirmation, but your post got me thinking so i emailed them just to make sure and they got back to me and assured me that yes, my accommodation is secured. So if you're worried maybe you could mail them to put your mind at ease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hi,

I sent in my application to Castlewhite, but still haven't received any reply. I just read here that people sent in their deposits...but do you not have to pay them when they confirm to you that you have a place??

Or is it part of the application, that you send your deposit anyway...cos it seems people here have done that??

Thanks

Lucas10101 wrote: »
    Hi,

I sent in my application to Castlewhite, but still haven't received any reply. I just read here that people sent in their deposits...but do you not have to pay them when they confirm to you that you have a place??

Or is it part of the application, that you send your deposit anyway...cos it seems people here have done that??

Thanks

My post was in relation to Victoria Mills deposit, hope I didn't cause confusion :o

ya i got it thanks stik...
    def the best place, are you going into first year?

Hopefully!

Lucas10101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

After they send confirmation that you have a place they send you a link to pay the deposit.

stik wrote: »
    Hopefully!
    why what are you hoping to do?.. did you book with friends ya?..because like we all booked it seperately and dont know how to let them know we want to stay together?..im sure there wont b any problem but just wondering what ur doing?..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any places left in student accomodation?

Uni Hall and Vic Lodge seem full

What about Vic Mills?

Anyone know how to book the Spires or Farranlea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For Farranlea you have to apply by post. I think the application form is on the website, so print it and send it off.
    I lived in Farranlea this year but am looking for somewhere a bit closer for 09/10. I'm hoping there are still places in The Spires but if not, then Brookfield would be my next choice.

If they're all gone, I'll try and look for a house.

Advertisement