Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repaying overpaid pay

Options
  • 28-10-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

hi,

i get paid weekly into my account, and just a couple of weeks ago i got overpaid, quite a bit.

my first intention was to say nothing, but then i realised its not my money and if i get caught i probably look worse. so i rang work and told them and they now want it back,

my question is, am i entitled to pay that money back that they mistakingly overpaid me. i am going to do it, but do I HAVE TO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They could just not pay your wages. Not sorting it out may impact on wage rise / promotion possibilities or even lead to disciplinary issues.

If its just sitting in your bank account, have them take it back over 1-2 payments, otherwise, agree to do it over a period of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes, they're entitled to their money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You can refuse to pay it back... however, they could fire you and deduct it from your final pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, they are entitled to recover it from your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Off course their entitled to it back or they just dont pay you wages until youve cleared that much money from your hours worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

wonder what are the tax/prsi/usc implications of repaying the money. ie if you got overpaid by 500e then a portion of this obviously will have gone to taxes so what amount would the OP have to repay - the 500e gross and the tax sorts itself out or a figure of 500e net ??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The tax should sort itself out. Strictly speaking the OP may pay more PRSI that would otherwise be due as it is calculated per pay period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

If your employer uses a reasonably good pay roll package they can do a reverse cycle next payroll which will reverse all your wages on paper at least. This will reverse and recalculate your taxes etc. they than can reissue your normal wages slip.

this should now rebalance your wages and now create a figure that you owe them, the repayment should be decided between both parties, best get it out of the way IMO.

Advertisement