Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday? Bit of a rant ...

Options
  • 02-11-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

As an office worker I had the bank holiday off - but the boss has spent all day today in a right mood, complaining/commentating he was in and working all day yesterday. Now I would have thought that was his decision to come in, he didn't ask me if I would work - not saying I would have been thrilled to give up the day off, quite enjoyed the long weekend, but I would have been prepared to do a couple of hours if asked - but seriously is it becoming a major issue for me. I work hard, never take time off, unless agreed well in advance, stay late and often take short lunches without asking for the time back. And still he really begrudged my "entitled" day off. Is this the new culture, is it a case of not wasting a good recession? Make staff feel so grateful for having any job??? I am happy to have a job (was unemployed for 18 months before this came along) but after 2 years in this place I feel I proved myself. Sorry for the rant, but are other people experiencing this sort of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

He should grow some balls and tell all his staff he expects all staff to work the B/H for free for the sake of the business or just shut up and get on with his job. Sounds like he has an awful case of 'Poor Me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Best approach is to ask him why he didn't ask you or any of the others to come in if things were so backed up/busy and state that if things were do busy you would have been willing to pitch in with a couple of hours (paid of course)?

That should defuse his "poor me" attitude because it demonstrates that if he communicated with his staff properly he might have been able to spread the work out and only have sacrificed a few hours of his bank holiday as well. (also does he not know the Saving Private Ryan rule of management, Gripes go upwards!).

Advertisement