Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing problem!

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Right guys I won't go into all the details but basically I was bullied horribly in my last job.

Now I'm somewhere new and I love it. The environment is much much supportive and generally a great atmosphere.

Here's the problem:I seem to have developed a weird automatic reaction to any kind of feedback.Any time any kind of comment is made on my performance my eyes well up and it's like I'm going to cry. Now this is constructive feedback I'm getting, helpful, no malice at all.

I can't seem to get my brain to realise that though. It just harks back to my previous boss and I make a fool of myself looking like I can't handle even the slightest criticism!!

Any ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Sorry guys it appears I posted in the wrong forum. Could a mod point me int he right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi harrythehat - this forum is fine, though I think Personal Issues might be a better match? Let me know if you'd like it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP the fact that you know what is happening is a great help. You will get over it, the more confident and happy you are about your new job, the sooner it will stop.

Try to really concentrate on what you are being told and making intelligent responses. It also helps to take deep breaths if you can. If you look cheerful and confident no-one will pay any attention to the fact that your eyes might have welled up - it happens to some people when they are happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it starts happening, roll your eyes towards the ceiling. It's physically impossible to blubber while doing this.

Some people would suggest seeing a counsellor to help you get over this. Your call whether you think this is worthwhile or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

omg do you get flash backs as well
    on a bad day i am forever back in my old job in that office with the manager screaming at me

and in my new job everyone loves me and i get on great with everyone
    i dont cry but i am forever waiting to be told off or do it a different way and im there 8 months and it still hasnt happened .
    i am afraid all the time

and when i sleep i see that woman towering over me and i remember the burning tears in my eyes , i cant let it go , even when its work unrelated
    i wish i did something about it , then

be proud of yourself now , you found someplace you fit in and what your good at doing

Advertisement