Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done to Irish Rail (for once)

Options
  • 31-07-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Not often, if fact never, do I find a good thing to say about IR, except for yesterday.

They put on an unscheduled, and unannounced unscheduled train to bring fans to Croke Park for the Kildare v Donegal match. Unfortunately they told no-one, so only people who were early to the station could get it. Nil points for the information but well done on the extra service.

Coming home the same. The match started late and then went to extra time but IR had an unannounced unscheduled train ready in Drumcondra to bring fans home. Well done on the flexibility.

God be with the days when there wasn't even a train service on Sundays.

I wonder is Leo a GAA fan?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

This is a joke right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I actually had a good experience with them a month back. They had scheduled many extra trains for the Waterford Tall ships festival, as I went to take one of these home I arrived at the station only to find that the train was full and they weren't letting any passengers on. Of course many people were getting angry at this etc, but within 20 mins they had 4 buses outside the door waiting for us. 1 direct to Dublin, and the others to Carlow and the previous stops. There was no other passengers for the stops between Carlow and Dublin so they didnt get one for those stops, obviously.

I was impressed that they managed to actually get them organized so quickly. I even got dropped off closer to home than the train station I was planning to get off at was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

This is a joke right?

Not at all, and it's only a partial congratulations.

Well done for the extra services, but as usual the complete absence of communication detracted greatly from the achievement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've a habit of this. Unannounced sweeper DARTs have appeared at a number of events I've gone to in Lansdowne Road and also for the Bray Air Display.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's the usual lose/lose situation.

Don't put them on and leave people on the platform = scandalous.

Put them on but don't go door to door telling people beforehand = scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

These specials are always advertised on irishrail.ie a few weeks in advance of big events

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Put them on but don't go door to door telling people beforehand = scandalous.
    No need to be flippant.

The train running in was largely empty as no-one knew to turn up early at the station(s). That's hardly a win for IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

That's the sort of thing the IE twitter account should be showing up. It doesn't reach everyone but those who can get it will often pass it on to those who can't.

Advertisement