Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train stations and liquor licensing... a hugely wasted opportunity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

All this talk of drink and station pubs puts me in mind of several pleasant hours spent in the Station Inn at Portmadoc Station on the Cambrian Coast mainline in Wales. And as Cortina says, I'm one of those who would drink Toilet Duck if it was cheaper enough but I prefer Guinness and Heino during the Heineken Cup.

IMG_2970_600x450.JPG
    The Station Inn, Portmadoc

http://www.thestationinnporthmadog.co.uk/

Bray station has seen two recent attempts at running a bar/cafe but has been empty for some years now. I have raised it with Dick Fearn but little seems to have been done to find a tenant for this prime location.

That line is not that busy and people dont tend to stay there that long:) The queens next door would be better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the Dublin area has maybe 10 out of about 800 pubs, of which 4 are owned by the Porterhouse chain.

:pac:
    You're joking right, they're some of the shitiest pubs in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No-one's mentioned IÉ's advice/threats about it being against their byelaws to drink on trains or in DART stations

I'm sure there's some jesuits who will explain how Connolly isn't a DART station (maybe the lack of rapid transport/transit)

I was in the pub in Heuston either earlier this year or late last year, and they had no jacks; I'm pretty sure a working toilet would be part of the minimum requirements of a pub these days.

They were still selling a diuretic drug and charging top dollar though.

In the same station another restaurant serving out fast food also has no toilets and seems to be allowed stay open. Super macs did have their own jacks at one time iirc but lost them to extra seating capacity some time back when the station was last refurbished.

Not sure about the requirement to have toilets in pubs or restaurants but I thought somewhere to wash your hands was a definite requirement for places serving food to be eaten on the premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

foggy_lad wrote: »
    In the same station another restaurant serving out fast food also has no toilets and seems to be allowed stay open. Super macs did have their own jacks at one time iirc but lost them to extra seating capacity some time back when the station was last refurbished.

Not sure about the requirement to have toilets in pubs or restaurants but I thought somewhere to wash your hands was a definite requirement for places serving food to be eaten on the premises?

havent read it all, but i believe this SI covers it

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0147.html#zzsi147y1988a9
    Cloakroom Facilities and Toilets
    9. (1) A restaurant shall have cloakroom facilities and toilets.

(2) Toilets shall be provided separately for male and female customers and be easily accessible from all public areas of the restaurant.

(3) Such toilets shall contain:

( a ) water closets (hereinafter referred to as WC) in separate compartments;

( b ) fixed wash-hand basins equipped with plumbing for the continuous supply of hot and cold water and the disposal of waste.

(4) The minimum number and type of sanitary fittings installed in such toilets shall be calculated in relation to the number of diners to be accommodated in the premises at any one time as set out in the Table to this Regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You're joking right, they're some of the shitiest pubs in the city

No they're not. Sounds to me like you just don't like beer with taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seems like this thread is well and truly derailed. :D Peoples taste in beer and pubs has little to do with why CIE/IE are incapable of finding suitable tenants to develop refreshment facilities at their railway stations. Bottom line is CIE/IE are incapable of running any of their businesses properly and no amount of debate on here is going to change anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You're joking right...

I'm really not worried if you dis/like a pub or not; I'm just talking about pubs that tend to the craft beer/real ale/quality beer trade. And the Porterhouse has 4 pubs in the Dublin market, no matter what you feel about them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

There's definitely a ladies in the pub in Heuston, up the stairs at the back. Of course since this closes at 7:30 (I think) it's not much good when you're stuck on the kiosk. That closes at 8:30. Which is great when the last train to Cork is at 9 and doesn't have a catering service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Those bar spaces leased out have had mixed results over the years and in the case of one (O'Reilly's) it has been a legal pain in the ass due to mismanagement on the publican's part.

Thats the one in/at Tara Street station is it?

Whats the 'mismanagement' problem, haven't been in it in maybe 2 years but always thought it was a fairly OK spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement