Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney Loop Removed

• 28-06-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭

Loop no longer exists!
    Minor changes to services that would terminate in Balbriggan turn back/extended to Drogheda as well as a ghost train service!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Irish rail, decimating irish railways since 1987™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i thought the whole idea was to get rid of "ghost" trains altogether? wonder how much of a pittence this removal will save. even worse, how much will it cost to put it back when its needed, which it will be again i'd bet. how far is this all ultimately going to go?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Who needs a loop/siding when you've got a concentration camp where Butlin's used to be, right?

Ireland in general is doomed, the way the politicians are pulling the country. This is a tiny reminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was Grand Canal Dock station for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I could not believe they removed the track from the platform 3 loop. I know it was only used for stabling 29s and ICRs but it helped have that extra space. Also a buffer stop placed before the points to access the Boston sidings. They really have removed so much capacity for turning back sets south of Pearse.

If they lifted that even as a possible overtaking loop I don't hold out much hope of the Clongriffin loop lasting as that is and has never been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

GCD was lifted to allow major civil works on the retaining wall structure. It will be reinstalled and electrified by mid 2016

Clongriffin turnback was been used on several occasions by DART services and is the only place between Skerries and Connolly where a train can be looped off the main line

Mosney has no real use, a lot of point ends (each costing 250k a go to replace).

You can incidentally turnback a train at Balbriggan either by running wrong road from Skerries (which is a signaled move) and I think from the northbound platform which has a starting signal southbound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I was Grand Canal Dock station for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I could not believe they removed the track from the platform 3 loop. I know it was only used for stabling 29s and ICRs but it helped have that extra space. Also a buffer stop placed before the points to access the Boston sidings. They really have removed so much capacity for turning back sets south of Pearse.

If they lifted that even as a possible overtaking loop I don't hold out much hope of the Clongriffin loop lasting as that is and has never been used.

Let's not get carried away here. I have lost count of how many times I have posted what is happening at GCD here.

This is all part of the city centre resignalling project.

The track at P3 will be relaid as the Up main line.

P2 will become a turn back siding for terminating trains from the Northern, Maynooth and Kildare line services.

What's happening at present is the preparation work for that.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The track at P3 will be relaid as the Up main line.

P2 will become a turn back siding for terminating trains from the Northern, Maynooth and Kildare line services.

What's happening at present is the preparation work for that.

Thankfully, there is still a bit of sense within IE.

I was in shock yesterday when I saw it. I know work was done on the Boston sidings a few years ago but I didn't anything happened at GCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I was in shock yesterday when I saw it. I know work was done on the Boston sidings a few years ago but I didn't anything happened at GCD.

Yeah the whole lots been overhauled now atm. Loop line is now the main down, the old down main is now the up main and the points at the north end are partially removed now. This is meant to be done by next june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

This "resignalling" has been going on for nearly fifteen years thus far, hasn't it?

If anything is starting to make "sense" over at IE, then it has to do with being forced to face some reality there and actually using their infrastructure and other resources properly. And the RPA's turn is overdue.

074, at least I think it was 074 passed Killester around 1am with 7 spoil wagons loaded with ballast and 7 empty flat track panel wagons. I assume it was heading to carry out more work on the Mosney loop. I'll try to keep an ear out for it returning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement