Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeSecure - cold calling

Options
  • 22-11-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭

Just had two children in shiny suits at my door wanting to talk to me. Said they were from Homesecure, whatever that is. Something related to the fact that I have a Phonewatch alarm box on the house, and the/a takeover last year?

I ran them, as I'm only out of bed after a night shift, and in no humour to talk to anyone - but anyone know what this is about?

They made out like they're on some sort of semi-official business, but I assume they're just selling something.

They assured me that they'll try again later, and I wished them luck with that..... not if I see them coming first, they won't :mad:

I googled the name and they just seem to be another alarm company.

Anyone else have the pleasure of their company on your doorstep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Did these guys call specifically because you had a Phone Watch alarm?
    Where they trying to take over your system or what?
    The name of the company that took over Phone Watch from Eircom was Sector Alarm, a Scandinavian company.
    Well done on chasing them away I would however be mind full of people cold calling and discussing your security system with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

kub wrote: »
    Did these guys call specifically because you had a Phone Watch alarm?
    Where they trying to take over your system or what?
    The name of the company that took over Phone Watch from Eircom was Sector Alarm, a Scandinavian company.
    Well done on chasing them away I would however be mind full of people cold calling and discussing your security system with them.

They said they were here because I had a phonewatch box on the wall - whatever way they phrased it they made it sound semi-official and related to the takeover (I'm literally only out of the bed so brain not firing on all cylinders, can't remember exactly what they said).

They didn't get as far as saying what they actually wanted. I told them I wasn't engaging with whatever they were selling, and they batted that off and said they'd be back later.

I couldn't remember who'd taken over Phonewatch - thanks for that, at least I know that much now.

I'm not nervous or vulnerable about them calling again - more annoyed because I HATE cold callers with a vengeance. I certainly won't be discussing my home security arrangements with them!

But just in case they do turn up again (I somehow doubt they will) I'd like to be forearmed as to what exactly they're up to.

I just wish they were more people like you, I hate cold callers taking advantage of people.

Now I am not casting a doubt on these guys or indeed claiming that they are up to anything illegal or anything like that, but, while it is still fresh on your mind just write down what they looked like and what they were wearing etc. .....just in case anything strange happens over the next while in your neighbourhood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am not a fan of this form of selling either.
    Business must be bad if you have to knock on doors for work. If they work for a legitimate PSA licenced company they should have no problem sowing you official IDs . Ask for it next time if they do call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

KoolKid wrote: »
    I am not a fan of this form of selling either.
    Business must be bad if you have to knock on doors for work. If they work for a legitimate PSA licenced company they should have no problem sowing you official IDs . Ask for it next time if they do call back.

The did indeed have official (-looking) ID's around their necks. Waved them in my direction and gave names (not that I can remember them!)

Not surprisingly, they haven't reappeared yet, and I really don't expect they will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Home secure is a PSA registered company located in tougher business park.. Their game is to convince you to change over from phone watch even though the price isn't much different.. Landline monitoring €25 per month and GSM €30. The system they are installing is the Simon xt. But yes I hate door to door sales.
    They'll offer you free additional sensors for your existing system but you have to sign a 3 year contract.. They also offer free gsm units.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I recently switched to Homesecure from phonewatch.
    Last year I asked phonewatch for a more competitive deal (paying 37 euro p.m. for top service and monitoring),
    They said no way pal.
    Now that they have competition in Homesecure they came back to me asking why I switched and they could give me a great discount if I came back to them. I said no way pal, you had your chance.
    Homesecure are psa registered and are basically the ex workers from phonewatch and Chubb do all the monitoring and they are pretty well established as they monitor banks alarms systems in Ireland.
    I tested the alarm a couple of times to make sure it's being monitored and got very quick responses both times so all good so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Phonewatch always had competition. Not only is this company but with every PSA licenced company.
    You seem well up so I'm sure you are aware that any PSA licenced company can sell alarm monitoring . The problem is PW go for the quick sell singing up people on the spot or spur of the moment it would seem your friends do the same.
    Anyone looking for better pricing should shop around & get at least 3 quotes.
    Whether a company is licenced or not I am always weary of any one cold calling at my door. Especially if they are looking for details on my security set up & then no doubt my bank details to follow.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

I recently switched to Homesecure from phonewatch.
    Last year I asked phonewatch for a more competitive deal (paying 37 euro p.m. for top service and monitoring),
    They said no way pal.
    Now that they have competition in Homesecure they came back to me asking why I switched and they could give me a great discount if I came back to them. I said no way pal, you had your chance.
    Homesecure are psa registered and are basically the ex workers from phonewatch and Chubb do all the monitoring and they are pretty well established as they monitor banks alarms systems in Ireland.
    I tested the alarm a couple of times to make sure it's being monitored and got very quick responses both times so all good so far.

Fair play to the lads setting this up.
    A lot of company's where left high and dry when Sector took over.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Phonewatch always had competition. Not only is this company but with every PSA licenced company.
    You seem well up so I'm sure you are aware that any PSA licenced company can sell alarm monitoring . The problem is PW go for the quick sell singing up people on the spot or spur of the moment it would seem your friends do the same.
    Anyone looking for better pricing should shop around & get at least 3 quotes.
    Whether a company is licenced or not I am always weary of any one cold calling at my door. Especially if they are looking for details on my security set up & then no doubt my bank details to follow.:eek:
    Yes but I was led to believe that only phonewatch could monitor my current alarm system whereas ADT told me I would have to fit a new alarm which isn't an option for financial reasons. Can other companies monitor my alarm without changing my system?

• Advertisement

Yes but I was led to believe that only phonewatch could monitor my current alarm system whereas ADT told me I would have to fit a new alarm which isn't an option for financial reasons. Can other companies monitor my alarm without changing my system?

Any company can have your P.W system monitored. Its the newer system with the cameras that no other monitoring station can view which would be the problem. I would shop around to see what is available out there.

altor wrote: »
    Any company can have your P.W system monitored. Its the newer system with the cameras that no other monitoring station can view which would be the problem. I would shop around to see what is available out there.
    Ah, I didn't realise that. Oh well, I'll stick with homesecure as I'm in a contract now and past the cooling off period.
    To be fair to them they responded to my testing the alarm by banging the window and Chubb are well established.
    Thanks for the info.

Ah, I didn't realise that. Oh well, I'll stick with homesecure as I'm in a contract now and past the cooling off period.
    To be fair to them they responded to my testing the alarm by banging the window and Chubb are well established.
    Thanks for the info.

Your welcome.

All monitoring stations have to comply to the same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

Just had them round at my house. They were very keen to "come in" and "take you through the options" and that I would save money etc etc etc. Maybe it's just me, and because I work in Dublin and live in Drogheda, but I really don't like sales people trying to push products on me when I've just arrived home after a long day in the office. I've learned the hard way - be abrupt and close the door quickly.

I would never entertain this form of selling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd be of the opinion of give prices, contact details, and go away. I'd also take names. I'd Google the company, and check if contact details matched up. If it didn't, I'd contact the company, and then the Gardai.

Someone cold-calling about your security system (esp if they want to see how it's set up) is in an entire new league of fishiness, imo!

They claim that by signing up with them they fix the issue with the panels being pulled from the wall. If you really want to rile them up ask what methods are used by the panels to communicate with Chubb. They wont know and will be quick to tell you that "the engineer will answer any technical questions on the day" . Also they are all on comission so its in their best interest to sell the service to you.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    They claim that by signing up with them they fix the issue with the panels being pulled from the wall. If you really want to rile them up ask what methods are used by the panels to communicate with Chubb. They wont know and will be quick to tell you that "the engineer will answer any technical questions on the day" . Also they are all on comission so its in their best interest to sell the service to you.

Oh dear, so they use empty vessels to sell their wares as well, i almost said their systems, but of course they are not their systems, they just take them over.
    I would also love to know the method they have for detecting Simon panels being pulled off walls.

I would also love to know the method they have for detecting Simon panels being pulled off walls.

You would know quicker than they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 redcurrant

I would not entertain Homesecure at all. I had a couple of cold callers from them, telling me they were knocking on my door because I had a Phone Watch alarm. I was not impressed with their attitude or sales technique at all, very pushy and not at all pleased when I said that if I were interested I would look it all up online.

• Advertisement

redcurrant wrote: »
    I would not entertain Homesecure at all. I had a couple of cold callers from them, telling me they were knocking on my door because I had a Phone Watch alarm. I was not impressed with their attitude or sales technique at all, very pushy and not at all pleased when I said that if I were interested I would look it all up online.

They are on commission only. No sale = No dosh

Evolution1 wrote: »
    They are on commission only. No sale = No dosh

Selling alarms this week, charities next week with the direct debits in hand, these guys are not representative of the security business at all, shame that some companies use their services.

Selling alarms this week, charities next week with the direct debits in hand, these guys are not representative of the security business at all, shame that some companies use their services.

Have to admit its making money for the companies though.

While I don't agree with their tactics and I don't agree with certain type of systems, it baffles me how it's OK to be critical of some companies here but not others.

Advertisement