Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phonewatch advice

Options
  • 17-11-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I recently bought a house with an eircom phone watch alarm. I don't really want to take out a new contract with phone watch, so I was wondering will the alarm work as an alarm on its own. Or would I be better off getting a new alarm.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Sorry for your trouble OP, those PW systems are more like Fisher Price toys when not monitored and in my professional opinion not much better anyway.
    Chances are your external sounder unit is a dummy box on the wall. Therefore should the system ever activate then it can only make noise within the house.
    If you have the budget, then go with a proper security system that will sound outside and inside your home and also either be professionally monitored by a more cost effective alarm monitoring station or indeed self monitored.
    Now having said that, the system you have there, depending of course on which model of control panel you have can be connected to another monitoring station or indeed also self monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

hi kub

is there any gsm auto diallers / self monitored device you would reccommend for a PW system , i have an alarm installed by eircom phone watch since 2008, still monitored by them but looking to self monitor as i have someone in the house nearly all the time, your recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

something simply to install as im not very good with gadgets,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

hi kub

is there any gsm auto diallers / self monitored device you would reccommend for a PW system , i have an alarm installed by eircom phone watch since 2008, still monitored by them but looking to self monitor as i have someone in the house nearly all the time, your recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a Simon panel then you can reprogram the system so that it will ring your phone's directly. You will need to maintain a phone line in your home for this as the system needs that to get the signal out.
    Both Altor and KoolKid have a step by step guide for this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

hi kub

I would be looking at having a live external bell installed on the system.
    Its a must for any system, monitored or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement