Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 2007 1.4 LX Model

Options
  • 26-01-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all

In process of getting a new car. Was looking at hyundai i30's, civics, focuses etc for around E7k. Keeping to 1.4 for insurance purposes.

Civics too expensive for insurance...higher spec and im only 24.
    Hyundai's hard to come by (and when i have found them they've sold too quick).. also so far have been more expensive.

I found a 2007 focus, 1.4 litre... LX model. Being offered this for E5k and my old renault clio trade in. Considering my clio is on its last legs and a lot of damage (also leaking), seems too good a deal to turn down. Also leaves me E2k leftover from my budget.

Only concern is the fact the focus is an LX model? It has electric windows, fog lights, front arm rest, etc etc However, no air con (which i dont really care) and display isnt as stylish as the zetecs. Just wondering if I should stay clear of the LX models??? Took it for test drive and seems fine. Some people saying its sluggish though. Baring in my mind im not a speedster or a car afficionado, i just want a good running car.

I really want the car but now doubting after reading online reviews. Any one have any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

focus is a reliable car but very under powered. what about a corolla.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-for-sale/6329073

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The engine isn't up to much but they are a great car. If you coukd look for a Ghia or Titanium spec 1.6 petrol manual you'll have the best version of them and insurance shouldn't be much different.

Another worth looking at would be a Kia Ceed it Proceed (the 3 door version). Decent poke for a 1.4 petrol too and you might even get one with a manufacturers warranty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If it must be a 1.4 id only consider a few cars, namely a Hyundai i30, Kia cee'd, or a corolla(02-07 model).

these all offer much better performance than the 1.4 in the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know this is a base model too but it does have air con and is the same car underneath as the i30. 1.4 litre is one of the liveliest in it's class.

media?xwm=y&id=b65fb202-761c-4809-8b03-89475eb302a8&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/KIA/Ceed/1.4-5DR/38713898818420320/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Worth noting that the uk Kia Ceed doesn't always have the same exact same engine setup as the i30. Its only 89bhp in some versions (09 onwards) due to emissions tax. Definately something worth checking on UK imports.
    07 models would be ok though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Can't even imagine what a mk2 focus with 74bhp would be like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Dangerous.

Just imagine towing an artic with your st. That's what it's like :pac:

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Just imagine towing an artic with your st. That's what it's like :pac:

In 4th @ 1.2 bar she would still be grand overtaking :p

In 4th @ 1.2 bar she would still be grand overtaking :p
    Ok imagine the artic is fully loaded then :p

In all seriousness though the 1.4 is very sluggish. It's fine for pottering about town but as soon as you hit an open road or try to overtake you'll notice it's short comings :)

• Advertisement

Used to drive a 1.4 Octavia as a daily driver.

Every time you went to overtake you would want this music on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I have a friend with a 1.4l mk2 Focus and an other with a 1.6l. The 1.4 drinks petrol compared to the 1.6, you really need to put the boot down to get it moving. The owner of the 1.4 is a very sedate/safe/slow driver and got very good fuel economy from her previous car. The 1.6 is more lead footed and still gets better MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I owned a 1.4 for 3 years,thirsty and sluggish and overtaking was dangerous unless you had a long straight road. besides it was a solid reliable car with good handling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'd think that 5k for a 1.4 07 focus along with your own car would be expensive considering almost a year ago i bought a '06 1.6 ghia saloon for 4700 cash. I got the 1.6 on the recommendation that the 1.4 engine is underpowered for the focus body. you should be able to get a better deal than that.

Mine is due a service, but i get over 600km on a full tank (which is approx 75 quid) the tax is dear though...but the ghia spec gives you the aircon, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, all electric... give it some thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

I'd think that 5k for a 1.4 07 focus along with your own car would be expensive considering almost a year ago i bought a '06 1.6 ghia saloon for 4700 cash. I got the 1.6 on the recommendation that the 1.4 engine is underpowered for the focus body. you should be able to get a better deal than that.

Mine is due a service, but i get over 600km on a full tank (which is approx 75 quid) the tax is dear though...but the ghia spec gives you the aircon, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, all electric... give it some thought.

I have a 2006 1.6 Ghia petrol saloon,which I get 700+ kms per tank mixed driving
    very comfy,good size boot,no trouble in 2 years I have owned it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    I have a 2006 1.6 Ghia petrol saloon,which I get 700+ kms per tank mixed driving
    very comfy,good size boot,no trouble in 2 years I have owned it:)

then i should get mine serviced, cos i never get that much on mixed driving. 8.3-8.6L/100km or sometimes 7.7-7.9L/100km on a long motorway run.

then i should get mine serviced, cos i never get that much on mixed driving. 8.3-8.6L/100km or sometimes 7.7-7.9L/100km on a long motorway run.

Remember some people have a heavier right foot than others... I get 7.0L/100km in a Mini Cooper S. Most owners get 8-9l/100kms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Dangerous.

Nonsense. It's the driver that causes the danger, not the car.

A 1.4 Focus hasn't strong overtaking performance but can still be wound up to clip along at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have made it my Motors forum mission for a long time to stop people from buying this car. I owned one for 3 years.

1. It is very underpowered. And I mean very.
    We have some odd on-ramps in this country, and where you have a short motorway merge that isn't assisted by a slope, you are going to struggle to get the car up to safe speed. I spent a lot of time flooring the car in 2nd and 3rd gear to get any kind of safe speed up. You will also notice its slowness joining roundabouts, as everyone has the jump on you. I once drove my car through the sally gap with 2 passengers and it was simply dreadful. The car felt like it was in limp mode half the time.

2. It is not good on petrol. I now drive a 1.8 volvo s40 (shares a majority of components) and I get the same l/100km figures. Why? Because the Focus is such a dog for anything other than city driving, that you chew petrol getting it up to and maintaining speed. So while you may save a small bit in Insurance (I got insured the following year cheaper on the 1.8 volvo, with 4 years no claims), and a bit on tax (probably 130 euro over a 1.6), you may even spend more on petrol depending on your driving habits, and will certainly spend the same as a 1.6.

3. The reliability of my car wasn't great. I owned it for 3 years, exchanging it with 120,000km on the clock, and by 90,000km I had replaced a whole host of parts, everything from a washer fluid pump to 2 wheel hub assemblies (bearings shot), and there was other problems looming such as a crack in the steering rack which was destined to slowly leak fluid and require replacement (this is something to get checked if you're looking at a focus incidentally. As 80% of my driving was M50, dual carriageways, the M7/M8 and the N40 in Cork, I found this very disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that car, and had wanted one since before I started driving. Great interior, good boot and great space with the back seats down (moved apartments/house in it twice). It was just chronically underpowered and broke my heart, I'd even have accepted the unexpected maintenance costs (and to be fair parts are cheap enough). If I hadn't listened to my head saying "1.4, feckitwillbegrand and cheaper on insurance" and bought a 1.6 I'd have kept the car at least another year. If it had the 1.8 engine of the volvo (like a buddy has in the UK) I might still be driving it into the ground, 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I have a 1.4 07 Focus Zetec Connection model, nice car really like it, we use it as the second car in our house along with a 2012 Renault we use for main car.

We had a lot of hassle with ford which in the end Ford sorted free, have to say i do find the car underpowered, its a good car getting around, it can be heavy on petrol def.. As we keep it as a second car its a good option, and has been reliable since Ford sorted the battery problem (due to Keyless entry)

If you want it for long distance driving and heavy use I dont think Id buy it.

Also, I was offered 6k on trade in last week, and was offered 6500 cash to sell it, it is Zetec model and has the Connection model (Bluetooth/Voice control/Dual Air Con/17'' Alloy etc) so for 5k plus a Clio, I thnk you could get a better deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Had one for 1.5 years and they're Massively underpowered.
    I really wouldn't!

You have to drive them so hard to get anywhere that the economy is awful. I had an Evo5 for a while after and there genuinely very little difference in the running of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

As others are saying, yeah, the 1.4 is very underpowered.

The price being quoted as well seems a bit high. You could get better straight cash deals for better spec etc.

I have the Mark 2 Focus 1.6 litre Zetec Connection (3 door). Brilliant car, lovely to drive and no issues with power when overtaking etc.

I've had it 6 years now (it was 2 years old when I bought it... with low mileage) and it still runs like a dream. Like any car I've had to replace a few minor parts here and there, but no major issues (I had the power steering pump replaced under warranty/guarantee by the dealer as it was a known issue).

I get around 590 to 600 KM from a full tank on average. That is mostly M50 and city driving. On a good stretch motorway driving I'd get around 630 KM from a tank.

Save yourself a lot of problems and just get the 1.6 litre.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I've driven many 1.4 and 1.6 focus, back to back on numerous occasions on mixed roads and motorways,

and in my opinion the 1.4 is not as underpowered and as stated here, at least not to the extent of "never shall a boardsie buy one "

1.4 is 0-60 in 13.6 sec vs 1.6 o-60 in 11.5 secs top speed is 102 vs 112mph,

1.4 engine seems less trouble some when it comes to major failure too.

Yes the 1.6 is better but not in a different league, a good 1.4 is still a fine safe, day to day car.

If op isn't bothered about speed, the 5 k deal seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's the figures for the old model
    The mk2 is 1.4 is 14.1 seconds vs 10.8 for a 115ps 1.6

A mk1 yaris 1.0 does 60 in 13.2 seconds
    Ceed or i30 1.4 is 11.2 seconds for comparison
    Corolla 1.4 is 11.6
    Megane 1.4 is 12.1

Bigus wrote: »

Less troublesome when it comes to major failure? How can a major failure be less troublesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I've had a '07 Focus for nearly two years now. Happy enough with it overall, but I have to agree with others about the lack of oomph. Over taking is a nightmare. On a recent drive from Mayo back to Dublin, I wanted to shoot myself on the non motorway part between Castlebar & wherever the M4 starts, I think I was only able to safely over take twice on the entire trip & God only knows how many tractors I got stuck behind. If you live in a city and you don't do a lot of driving on N4 roads, you'll be fine. It would be head wreaking if you do.

The lack of power is also annoying when you are going through the express lane at a motorway toll and, you are getting back up to the 120 kph speed of the motorway. It takes FOREVER ! As the express lane is on the right, you are in the fast/overtaking lane of the motorway, as you leave the toll plaza. I try to shift over into the left lane as soon as possible, but if there are cars to your left, sometimes you can't do it straight away. I have lost count of the number of times I have had cars honk at me to get the bleep out of their way. It takes so damm long to go from 50 kph to 80 t0 120, they think I am gonna stay in that lane & drive that slowly the whole way. :o

TBi wrote: »
    Less troublesome when it comes to major failure? How can a major failure be less troublesome?

It happens less on the 1.4,

Bigus wrote: »
    It happens less on the 1.4,

Less likely to happen does not mean the event itself is less troublesome.

You said
    Bigus wrote:

TBi wrote: »
    Less likely to happen does not mean the event itself is less troublesome.

You said

I never said major engine failure isn't a major event.

Ok to be specific so you can get a grasp .

The frequency of major engine failure is less frequent in the petrol 1.4 litre vs the 1.6 ltr,ford focus supplied in the Irish market, according to ME .

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's the figures for the old model
    The mk2 is 1.4 is 14.1 seconds vs 10.8 for a 115ps 1.6

A mk1 yaris 1.0 does 60 in 13.2 seconds
    Ceed or i30 1.4 is 11.2 seconds for comparison
    Corolla 1.4 is 11.6
    Megane 1.4 is 12.1

My figures are for the mk2 2005> focus

Advertisement