Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what car to buy

• 25-08-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

im 18 looking for my first car i dont want a small car but i want a small engine any ideas:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Motors could be doing with a 'help me choose a car' template.
    How much ya spending?

Preference for hatch back, estate or saloon?

How many miles/kilometers will you be doing?

What type of driving (short runs or motorway)?

Something like that ^^.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

under 1000 dont care really and any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

An older model corolla, golf, Leon could be an answer although 1.4 engines.

Corolla purely for the fact if your going back to the late 90's it'll take some abuse.

No matter what you buy insurance will be nasty. Get something to learn to drive in first would be my advice then change to something g better go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

try a 1.4 Polo saloon. Not a looker but will be less than 1.4 golf to buy and insure and more responsive due to weighing a lot less.
    But the Brakes are very bad in that generation of Polo( well all the ones I'v driven).

Look at the bangernomic's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Fiesta 1.25 would be a nippy little car too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure to get insurance quotes first so that you can afford it before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Katunga wrote: »
    try a 1.4 Polo saloon. Not a looker but will be less than 1.4 golf to buy and insure and more responsive due to weighing a lot less.
    But the Brakes are very bad in that generation of Polo( well all the ones I'v driven).

Look at the bangernomic's

Then you have to suffer the bad gear boxes, clutch pedal boxes, failed catalytic converters, electrical problems.
    Stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Demmo wrote: »
    Then you have to suffer the bad gear boxes, clutch pedal boxes, failed catalytic converters, electrical problems.
    Stay well clear.

I know someone that has a 1.4 Polo for 13 years and the only problem was the clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Katunga wrote: »
    I know someone that has a 1.4 Polo for 13 years and the only problem was the clutch.

The bad outweigh the good. The normal Polo hatch is the same. The newer shape with the 3 cylinder engine is even worse!

thanks everyone but i want a 1.3 engine or less thats big

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭krank

How about a Lancer? Fits your engine and size requirements. Though what impact the affection the boy racers used to have for them will have on the quality of the samples you find and your insurance costs I don't know.

thanks so much thats perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Check out the bangernomics thread. I posted a decent looking Fiesta with NCT a few days ago.

thanks but im not looking for a SMALL CAR I WANT A BIG CAR THAT 1.3 ENGINE OR LESS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

What is a big car to you? You will struggle to find a "big" car with 1.3L engine for less than 1000.

i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Hyundai Accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A 0.998 or 1.0 be a fairly small engine I wouldn't go any further than 1.2 litre though. In terms of an engine size, a yaris be your best bet.

The ford Fiesta, Ceed Kia, Peugeot wouldn't be too small, big enough I suppose or the new opel corsas. Maybe an auris, mazda or piacanto/rio or a golf/polo?
    A Toyota corolla the hatchback d something version similar to an auris/verso, has small back doesn't jut out too much at the back, older versions 5 or 6 years ago or older be likely versions of the toyota corolla I am on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ibiza Seat be good too, though say a clio be far too small though. A Megane Coupe car wouldn't be too bad!? Maybe a nissan juke/note? or ford focus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Motor Tax will be more than likely going up AGAIN in Decembers budget too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont you just love those adds where they dont/wont tell you the milage???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

thats a great price on that yaris though, a quick clean, polish and add 5/600 quid and youve got a profit

ya thanks

Advertisement