Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Spoons are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Spoons

• 04-06-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

"The Government's new legislation designed to target head shops makes it a criminal offence to sell pipes or any other objects used to take controlled or psychoactive drugs." from here

Are we now living in a country where selling bits of glass can get you five years in Jail?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Tbf, it is hardly that surprising that they have outlawed paraphernalia that is only used for the consumption of illegal drugs.

Why would anyone have a bong unless it was to smoke weed? Since weed is illegal, the only reason they would have it is to consume illegal substances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is getting silly. I doubt it will stop people from getting there hands on this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

How can you define what "objects used to take controlled or psychoactive drugs"? Some tinfoil and a pen could fall into that category as could spoons.
    illegal to sell objects used to cultivate drugs by hydroponic means
    So now horticulture is at the cutting edge of the drug war?
    The main points of new legislation published today make it an offence to sell, supply or advertise hallucinogenic drugs previously sold in head shops.
    What counts as advertising? If I point out the Beatles make some good tunes while off their mash is that advertising hallucinogenic drugs?
    They say marijuana leads to other drugs. No it doesn't, it leads to f*cking carpentry. That's the problem, folks. People getting high going, "Wow man, this box would make an excellent bong! snort This guy's head would make an excellent bong! *snort*" Relax! That's why I stopped doing drugs in the first place. Not because I didn't like 'em, but because I didn't want to build anything, ok?
    Denis Leary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

objects used to take controlled or psychoactive drugs

oh noez they banned 20 euro notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

reprazant wrote: »
    Tbf, it is hardly that surprising that they have outlawed paraphernalia that is only used for the consumption of illegal drugs.

Why would anyone have a bong unless it was to smoke weed? Since weed is illegal, the only reason they would have it is to consume illegal substances.

Shisha is smoked through hookahs etc. Not in any way psychoactive.

Dermot Ahern is just trying to be the big man. This kind of nonsense is for appeasing the joe duffy crowd, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bongs may be used to smoke Tobacco products and by using flavored water (a favorite of mine in my early days was Fanta Grape) it adds a little extra dimension to it.

To outlaw this perfectly legal apparatus has me for one, disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Shisha is smoked through hookahs etc. Not in any way psychoactive.

Dermot Ahern is just trying to be the big man. This kind of nonsense is for appeasing the joe duffy crowd, nothing more.

Hookahs are not banned, so not really relevant.

While the first bit of legislation was due to a mixture of appeasing the rabbling masses and also due to the stupidity some of the headshops themselves, I blame this second bit of legislation, not on Ahern, but on the headshops which opened back up selling slightly different stuff.

It was pretty much giving the fingers up to Ahern, who would never take that lying down.

If they had kept their heads down and stayed quiet for a while before then slowly introducing stuff, I would imagine that nothing would have happened. But they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

My mother brought a smoking device back from turkey ,I better tell her to get her bags ready.
    Shes going to jail:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hookahs are not banned, so not really relevant.

While the first bit of legislation was due to a mixture of appeasing the rabbling masses and also due to the stupidity some of the headshops themselves, I blame this second bit of legislation, not on Ahern, but on the headshops which opened back up selling slightly different stuff.

It was pretty much giving the fingers up to Ahern, who would never take that lying down.

If they had kept their heads down and stayed quiet for a while before then slowly introducing stuff, I would imagine that nothing would have happened. But they didn't.

Are you sure they won't be banned? Seeing as they're also used for weed it wouldn't surprise me.

I tihnk he was right with the first bit of legislation, some of it anyway.

But banning bongs etc is ridiculous they've been on sale for decades, it's not like they've only come out since the first bit of legislation. He wants to shut down head shops completely. If successful FF will prob boast about it in the next election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Okay, I'm getting really tired of the hysterical Joe Duffy callers controlling what individuals do. The head shop crackdown only ensured more money for illegal drug dealers and all that entails. Who should I write my letter to; the minister for justice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This country is heading back to the fcuking dark ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

RonMexico wrote: »
    This country is heading back to the fcuking dark ages.

Well that's my main concern. There's a growing trend of exercising greater control of the individual in many ways, from this issue to the curtailment of opening hours of off licenses etc etc.

Will this trend keep going, restricting us more and more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

We are safe again! Marijuana smokers will now have to use different devices to smoke their stuff!

It's official. This country is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Decoration?
    Seriously though, I have some swords that decorate my Asian influenced front room. Why would I have Samurai Swords if I don't intend chopping limbs off? Well simply for decoration.

Now I don't condone illegal drug use. I have never even smoked a cigarette but I don't see why selling a harmless item of nostalgic paraphernalia (it is to a certain generation) should be illegal.

I notice this country is the biggest shower of bandwagon jumpers I have ever come across. It is always some new evil that needs to be shut down and gets everyone worked up until it is made illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Might as well ban all pipes then Mr. Aherne. You know the indians used their tomahawks to smoke too, one side is the hatchet (war) and the other side a pipe (peace). Ban them too, just in case those crazy potheads take to them and go on a murderous pot induced rampage. Oh ban lightbulbs while your at it, the gas in them gets you off your tits when inhaled. Permanent markers too. Oh you might want to ban absinthe again and imprison anyone that tries to import toads, licking them makes your brain rot and your feet fall off. Also reindeer are notorious for eating shrooms and running amok. Ban Santa and Christmas, people might copy the reindeer. Did you know that you can get wrecked by drinking reindeer piss? Add that to the list my good man. Or better still, get a clue and realise that people are going to get high whether you like it or not. Stop dicking about and start clamping down on the drug gangs where the real problems are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Plastic bottle, lighter, bit of water, bit of tin foil.

I want anyone selling or purchasing the above things to be arrested.

Advertisement