Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abuse from a Garda member

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You're the Punisher man, you deal with that sh1t yourself! :cool:

Oh yeah really should punish them with some pain.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mr.Torrent

crossy wrote: »
    Hi,

I was driving by a crash today and the traffic was really slow. I slowed to let a car out of a lane in front of me so everyone can get by. While doing this I glanced at the crash but I definitely did not hold up the traffic.

A guard then came over to me and said through my window "keep your eyes on the road you ****ing spa"

I parked my car and went back to get his garda number but he had left the accident.

My question is should Guards be allowed to think because they are the law they can get away with stuff like this? Or is there a law about looking at a crashed car if I definitely was not holding up traffic?

cheers

The Guard obviously didnt take Affiction Classes at templemore during training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Really have you ever dealt with the public.

As a whole most are decent but there is only so much any human can take just because they have a uniform on doesn't turn them into robots to be so lovely that people would just walk all over.

The public could also have manners and behave better towards are serving members.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Really have you ever dealt with the public.

As a whole most are decent but there is only so much any human can take just because they have a uniform on doesn't turn them into robots to be so lovely that people would just walk all over.

The public could also have manners and behave better towards are serving members.
    Are you a serving member or just a Joe Soap civilian member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Ive a Honda 50&she's a beaut to go!
    A lot of ego tripping goin on here tonight,that's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

"Dear Ombudsman,

You won't BELIEVE what happened to be today. A Garda neglected to say thank you to me today at a checkpoint.

I look forward to your reply.

Fred"

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Couldnt agree more. Its their job and in my job I am never ignorant to anyone so why should they be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

When you represent an organization it is incumbent upon you to conduct yourself in a manner befitting that organization. Using language of the type described by the OP is unacceptable. Ask yourself would this Garda have used such language had one of his superiors been in earshot? Rubbernecking is not to be encouraged, but if true the Garda in question went over the top in their reaction.

Glazers Out!

mathepac wrote: »
    Are you a serving member or just a Joe Soap civilian member?

No I am not but know well what they have to put up with.

I work with the public so know how horrible they can be.

I wouldn't be standing up for a rude person but just try to see the bigger picture and take on what is said on both sides.

Russia, poland and many other places the cops would not be polite like has been said as they take absolutely no sh1t.
    Ireland the cops are afraid to do anything for fear of people who do be making up stories or complaints and they the cops have a lot to lose where as the gobsh1tes don't give a crap.

Ye it is unreal. As soon as everyone heard the Guard said something to me they jumped to the conclusion that I must have been in the wrong.

Ye it is unreal. As soon as everyone heard the Guard said something to me they jumped to the conclusion that I must have been in the wrong.

But you admitted you were looking maybe maybe not for long as you said but he seen you looking so was looking out for your safety his and all other road users as what I seen this morning at Glen of the downs where car crashed then others trying to catch a peak crashed also which in turn puts more in danger.

You have to admitt if you were standing out in the open with no metal around you you would b e a bit pissed off with the laziness of some amount of Irish road users.

I 've been crashed into many a time from people distracted by looking elsewhere or using the phone or doing their make up.

I do agree he could have chosen better words but sure you will forget about it tommorow and he wouldn't have meant it. It was just at that moment and everybody has their bad day even you I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Garda was an arsehole, simple as that. OP did nothing wrong, didn't hold up traffic, just glanced over. You can glance at a road sign.
    All the garda did was make a member of the public lose a little bit of respect for the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Just a thought why is this in legal discussion?

Really is more a customer service issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Are you for real?? Irish cops are the softest in Europe, you can practically curse in they're face without getting arrested. Russian cops would beat the **** out of you and there is not even a place to complain. Cops deal with all sorts of people, id expect them to be a bit rough and tough. They're not waiters in a 5 star restaurant.

Toughen up man ffs

Manners don't cost anything, some of the hardest blokes I know are true gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

dees99 wrote: »
    Are you for real?? Irish cops are the softest in Europe, you can practically curse in they're face without getting arrested. Russian cops would beat the **** out of you and there is not even a place to complain. Cops deal with all sorts of people, id expect them to be a bit rough and tough. They're not waiters in a 5 star restaurant.

Toughen up man ffs

That's not really true. Most middle class people could possibly curse in the face of Gardai without getting arrested, but there is a rotten element in the force who will happily stereotype you, and if they think that you can't afford a private solicitor will drag you into the cells and kick the **** out of you. In fact, swearing to Garda is often used as a reason to arrest you and is then often included on a charge sheet. Wear a track suit and baseball cap and walk up to a Garda in Tallaght and swear at him and test your hypothesis. When you get dragged into the cells pretend that you are not middle class and give your address as a council estate and continue swearing at them, and you will get the **** kicked out of you.

bajer101 wrote: »
    That's not really true. Most middle class people could possibly curse in the face of Gardai without getting arrested, but there is a rotten element in the force who will happily stereotype you, and if they think that you can't afford a private solicitor will drag you into the cells and kick the **** out of you. In fact, swearing to Garda is often used as a reason to arrest you and is then often included on a charge sheet. Wear a track suit and baseball cap and walk up to a Garda in Tallaght and swear at him and test your hypothesis. When you get dragged into the cells pretend that you are not middle class and give your address as a council estate and continue swearing at them, and you will get the **** kicked out of you.

In fairness in the above scenario you deserve the **** kicked out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You have posted nothing that would contradict the Guards description of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

They're very polite as long as your carrying enough money to bribe them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Couldnt agree more. Its their job and in my job I am never ignorant to anyone so why should they be
    OP, the majority here agree the Guard behaved disgracefully. The other posts about the car etc were just bustin' your balls a little. No offence intended.

mathepac wrote: »
    OP, the majority here agree the Guard behaved disgracefully. The other posts about the car etc were just bustin' your balls a little. No offence intended.

Ah I know that. I like to play along with a bit of friendly banter ha

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Except when I saw the picture of the white beamer, I thought you were out of that TV show 'My big fat gypsy wedding'.

And that's not an attempt to bust your balls.

Seriously can't believe you went back to get his number and report him. You must be a very very sensitive guy to take such offense from a schoolyard remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dees99 wrote: »
    Except when I saw the picture of the white beamer, I thought you were out of that TV show 'My big fat gypsy wedding'.

And that's not an attempt to bust your balls.

Seriously can't believe you went back to get his number and report him. You must be a very very sensitive guy to take such offense from a schoolyard remark.

Will do no harm if that Garda gets a talking to from his sergeant or whoever either. It's more than being sensitive and taking offense to the comment, but if the gardai go around talking to people like that and not acting professionally, they'll lose any respect the public have for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Would you get over yourself.Gardai at the scene of an accident have enough to be dealing with, least of all being pleasent to rubberneckers.If you had got his number what would your complaint have been? He gave you a legal order to keep your eyes on the road ,fair enough he shouldnt have added the 'you spa' at the end but do you know what its like to have to attend the scene of an accident and the stress that comes with that
    garda fanboys are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Everyone should respect authority without question, and take whatever abuse they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

taytothief wrote: »
    Everyone should respect authority without question, and take whatever abuse they give you.

yeah here i'll put that johnny on for ya guard:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No Pants wrote: »
    Get away with what exactly? Being rude?

As the guard said, if you were looking at the car, then you weren't looking at the road.

It's illegal for a member of the public to use abusive language towards the Gardai.
    It should be just as illegal for a member of the Gardai to use abusive language to a member of the public.

Advertisement