Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Out Fireplace

Options
  • 20-10-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hi all.....

Just gathering information to what is involved to cutting out/widening a fireplace.

Just bought a 1950's house and doing some jobs before moving in. In the sitting room they had the fireplace blocked up and I've knocked most of it out at this stage. The "hole" measures around 16 inches or 40cm approx.

I'm looking to put in a boiler stove and considering the Stratford EB16i Insert
    http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=580

The specs state that it needs 530mm width into the fireplace which means cutting at least 70mm each side of what I have. The cap stone (or whatever it's called) looks plenty wide enough so is it just a matter of getting a consaw and kango and cutting out the extra width?

photo-M.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

If your not a professional then you need on the job advice.
    I would strongly recommend that you get professional installer as you will need the chimney relined as its 60 years old. High risk of carbon monoxide leakage.
    You will also have to knock out a lot more from the side also for pipes.
    It is critical that stoves are piped up properly and also have a gravity circuit.
    Stoves can explode if not installed corectly. Not trying to put you off with this, only trying to give professional advice.
    Its not worth the risk to you and your family if its a DIY job if not done TOTALY to current standards and regulations.

Feel free to ask for any advice off us.
    And thanks for asking.

Its the people who don't ask that are taking a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

scudo2 wrote: »
    If your not a professional then you need on the job advice.
    I would strongly recommend that you get professional installer as you will need the chimney relined as its 60 years old. High risk of carbon monoxide leakage.
    You will also have to knock out a lot more from the side also for pipes.
    It is critical that stoves are piped up properly and also have a gravity circuit.
    Stoves can explode if not installed corectly. Not trying to put you off with this, only trying to give professional advice.
    Its not worth the risk to you and your family if its a DIY job if not done TOTALY to current standards and regulations.

Feel free to ask for any advice off us.
    And thanks for asking.

Its the people who don't ask that are taking a big risk.

Great, thanks for the info. I wouldn't be installing it myself, just trying to do some of the donkey work to save on costs.

How much would it cost to have the chimney relined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just going by the image above. The opening is 400mm or thereabouts.

How much wider could I cut it out? To put a standalone stove in there I'd need to cut another 200mm from either side: 533mm stove width + 130mm clearance either side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 williewarmer

SachaJ wrote: »
    Hi all.....

Just gathering information to what is involved to cutting out/widening a fireplace.

Just bought a 1950's house and doing some jobs before moving in. In the sitting room they had the fireplace blocked up and I've knocked most of it out at this stage. The "hole" measures around 16 inches or 40cm approx.

I'm looking to put in a boiler stove and considering the Stratford EB16i Insert
    http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=580

The specs state that it needs 530mm width into the fireplace which means cutting at least 70mm each side of what I have. The cap stone (or whatever it's called) looks plenty wide enough so is it just a matter of getting a consaw and kango and cutting out the extra width?

photo-M.jpg
    WILL YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU REMOVE THE HEAD. THATS THE PART JUST ABOVE THE OPENING. IF I DONT HEAR FROM YOU. ILL KEEP AN EYE OUT IN THE EVENING HEARLDS MIDDLE SECTION.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST GREAT. FIRE GRATE! ps ....nice gloves

Advertisement